Author Topic: CoolEdit Nostalgia visualizer  (Read 8166 times)

kamen

The new version 4.0 is out now.

The big changes are "zoom selection", gradients and bar style options.

The zoom is a selection of a region from the scale. It stays as selected untill disabled. It works for all current horizontal and vertical scale options (except for dynamic Db which behaves as usual). The selection can be made only when playing audio.

The new gradient and bar style options are now packed into the color choice dialog. All selectable colors are moved into the color choice dialog too.

There are other smaller changes and optimizations.

boroda

In the mean time you've seen already my topic for an API extension. On the other side foobar2000 has a very extensive api for delivering the audio chunks, and designing one for MusicBee could be a big time investment. The BASS library supports delivering the raw samples, the same way it delivers the FFT ones. I guess, we'll see what could be done in the future.

Steven is away for a couple of weeks. Let's wait when he is back.

TF3RDL

For the Mid/Side, there is already a "Combined" channel option which is actually Middle. Side can also be added for the next version, but isn't it useful only for recorded unprocessed audio?
Yeah, I guess the Side channel could be useful to spot lossy compression artifacts (as they remove the data more from the side channel than the mid channel iirc) and for both certain lossless/lossy music, it is also used to gauge how much sound "detail" is lost if downmixed to mono

BTW, this project I've made already have Mid/Side mode (and even a functionality to display both L/R and M/S channels simultaneously, which means four colors are used instead of usual two) and I wonder whether or not the MB can output complex FFT values in order to implement the feature to display phase part (only useful for nerds I guess)

Also, is Lanczos/sinc interpolation better than simple linear interpolation for FFT-based frequency bars spectrum, especially at lower frequencies (assuming logarithmic frequency scale is used)?
Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 04:16:19 AM by TF3RDL

sveakul

The new version 4.0 is out now.
This is a beautiful job kamen, thanks.  Having all the color components adjustable from the same interface is great, and I love the rainbow color gradient for either curve or bar with the ability to use a horizontal or vertical direction.  You could "play" with it forever, haha..  The response time seems real-time at 125 ms/60 fps.

I still wish that the kHz and dB grid scales could be made more finally spaced and extra numeration added so those are less dependent on the actual size of the window, which thankfully can be resized easily to cover less screen space for other MusicBee GUI components.

4.0 is a big leap ahead;  seems rock-solid too.  I hope others will try it and post their favorite schemes.  Thanks again!

Edit:  PLEASE give the ability to resize the numbers on the kHz and dB axes, they are too big when smaller window sizes must be used;  also, as I mentioned earlier please add more grid lines per scale to make the display less "coarse."
Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 10:23:16 AM by sveakul

sveakul

A couple of screenshots from 4.0--these are with a floating window that has been resized quite small (ergo the scale).  Rainbow, horizontal gradient, first one is a linear curve, second a logarithmic bar minus optional LED:

Impressive stuff, finally a nice plugin spectrum display for this player.  Thanks, kamen.

hiccup