Author Topic: MB as Server connected to SBT  (Read 3258 times)

jeddie

I have been doing some reading on this, but, I have drawn a blank.

Currently I have Win 7 PC with LMS in my study connected via LAN to Squeezebox Touch in the lounge room (20m away) which connects to DAC > Amp >  floor standing speakers.

But I would much prefer to use the superior MB (LMS is a little clunky) as my ‘server’ instead of LMS.   So chain would be MB > LAN > SBT > DAC > Amp.

Is this even possible? If so, how? (Caveat; must play Flac)
If not; how do people use MB when the PC is some distance away from Amp / speakers?

Could I control it via MB remote phone app?

I fear this is unlikely.

hiccup

I have a similar setup, but I have Squeezebox Classic players, not Touch.
(And I am using MB v3, which I see you are reluctant to upgrade to)

You could have a look at the UPnP/DNLA plugin.
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=14277.0

It was created by Steven himself, with a lot effort. For many users it seems to work well by now, but using it with Logitech LMS is a different story.
Probably due to the fact that the Squeezebox (Classic) heavily depends on the LMS software to be installed, and seems not to be fully DNLA compatible just on its own.

After lots of trial and error, bug reporting, and tweaks by Steven, the last result I accomplished is that it would work for mp3 files, but not for FLAC files.
(only occasional bursts of loud distortion coming out of the speakers)

So you could try it out yourself, and see how it turns out for your setup, and if you are happy with the results.

Be aware that since that plugin was extremely time-consuming to develop and maintain, development of it is currently on hold.
So don't expect further issues with it being resolved anytime soon.

jeddie

Thanks Hiccup.

I'm not very hopeful of achieving a satisfactory solution based on your response.

But I guess my real question is; How do people use MB as their 'player' when you want to play to Dac/Amp/Speakers (Main Hifi) located in another room?

Surely this must be a requirement for many people?

hiccup

I didn't mean to dis-encourage you.
It's just that it took Steven (and me) a lot of time and effort to try and get the plugin to work with LMS at all.

Just try it, perhaps with your setup it will work out-of-the-box without a problem now.

And as I said, the issue is not so much with MusicBee or the plugin, but with Logitech's LMS.
Many others using DNLA compliant hardware will encounter no problems at all with the plugin at it's current state.

Let us know how you fare?

vincent kars

Maybe using this one to solve the LMS issue: http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver

Streaming has become popular.
Most of the time using UPnP/DLNA protocols.
In this scenario you use MB and play to a renderer like the Sonore micro rendu and their likes
Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 11:21:31 AM by vincent kars

hiccup

Maybe using this one to solve the LMS issue: http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver

Thnx vincent. It's has been a couple of years back that I also tried out Whitebear, but I think it is intended to make it possible for other players getting access to the LMS library.

What jeddie and I would like to accomplish here is using MusicBee's own library and interface, and output music to the Squeezebox.
I only mentioned LMS, because the Logitech Squeezeboxes seem to need having LMS installed for being able to work.
So I don't think Whitebear could play a role here?

vincent kars

According to Whitebear:

Media Renderer

In addition Whitebear is an individual UPnP/DLNA compatible Digital Media Renderer (DMR) that acts as a front end for each Logitech Squeezebox player that it finds in your home audio network.  This enables UPnP/DLNA compliant Control Points to control and play music files on the respective Squeezebox player by means of the "Play To" context menu.

He also show some screen shots where WMP uses the Play To to send audio to a Squeeze
If WMP can, MB must be able to do the same

hiccup

Ok, I see. I might try and test if that would work.
I am guessing it won't be possible to set Whitebear as an output device in MB, so that would probably limit it's functionality a little bit, but it might be worth trying out what it can do together with MB. Thnx.

superstar19

Ok, I see. I might try and test if that would work.
I am guessing it won't be possible to set Whitebear as an output device in MB, so that would probably limit it's functionality a little bit, but it might be worth trying out what it can do together with MB. Thnx.
Hiccup, did whitebear work as a solution?

hiccup

It wasn't what I was looking for.
But it's a free download, you could try it out yourself?

superstar19

It wasn't what I was looking for.
But it's a free download, you could try it out yourself?
I already have a Radio and Classic that are linked with my phone to my mp3 library. I bought a used SB Touch that I'd like to use with my primary sound system linked up to my FLAC & hi-res library but using MB to drive it. LMS doesn't appear to allow different libraries to drive different devices so I was thinking about trying the whitebear.