Author Topic: Individual shuffle only  (Read 7017 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Windows 10 MB version: 3.0.6051
Neither the 'Shuffle Tracks by Album' or 'Shuffle Tracks by Grouping' settings are working
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
i cant reproduce any issues. Can you describe where and how you initiate playback. Also the "Play Now" setting might be relevant

Bee-liever

in playlist tab, using a playlist that is sorted by album, right-click> Play Shuffled

even with these settings, albums get broken up.

even just right-click> List> Shuffle List; illustrates that the list is no longer being grouped by album

not confined to mixer lists - occurs with all playlists using album as selection/sorting
Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:57:52 AM by Bee-liever

Bee-liever

Give a shout if you need my settings file

Steven

• Administrator
ok thanks. That method currently only does a random shuffle and i will see whats involved to change it

Bee-liever

That method currently only does a random shuffle
It didn't use to be that way.
It used to keep the albums together, as that is how I have always used it.

Steven

• Administrator
i just tried with v2.5 and its the same as now. Its definitely not straight forward to implement as you are expecting.
Perhaps you are thinking of auto-playlists, which can support shuffle by album as configured in the auto-playlist definition

i have an idea how this could be tackled but its too much of a change for v3.0
Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:34:09 AM by Steven

Bee-liever

so you know it was neither a load of BS or my imagination, here is MB 2.5.5721 shuffling a playlist but keeping the albums together

but you are correct Steven, in that it's not the 'Shuffle Tracks by Album' or 'Shuffle Tracks by Grouping' settings
it's the shuffle not respecting the 'select by album' setting from the playlist that it used to do before

Steven

• Administrator
i was testing using static playlists. If MB isnt using the mixer shuffle setting then that is a bug which i will look into

Bee-liever

Definitely the mixer list album setting

Steven

• Administrator
i checked again with v2.5
Even for playlist mixers, v2.5 is shuffling the same way as v3 for when you right click/ List/ Shuffle List ie. just vanilla random.
The difference is that with v2.5, when you have grouping headers, MB forces sorting of the resulting playlist by the grouping header where as in v3, the grouping header does not force the sorting ie. MB just takes what ever order the files are in and applies a grouping header. I actually cant remember if that was an intentional change - i think it was because it gives some more flexibility

Bee-liever

in v3, the grouping header does not force the sorting ie. MB just takes what ever order the files are in and applies a grouping header
could this also be part of the problem (reported by another user) that the grouping header in v3 is now being assigned a number in the playlist # sequence?

I suppose the big question is whether it can be put back the way it was in 2.5, because as it stands now, there is no longer a way to shuffle album playlists by album :(
Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:24:06 PM by Bee-liever

Steven

• Administrator
in v3, the grouping header does not force the sorting ie. MB just takes what ever order the files are in and applies a grouping header
could this also be part of the problem (reported by another user) that the grouping header in v3 is now being assigned a number in the playlist # sequence?
no i dont think so and its not doing that for me

for the original issue, i realise now what v2.5 was doing was retaining the sort order when there was a sort override active ie. if Sort By/ "Group By" order is active, the playlist stays sorted that way effectively ignoring the shuffle (and not forcing the sort ordering to the group by order as i said). I actually call the v2.5 behavior a bug as what v3 does is when shuffle is applied is disable the sort override.
I wont commit to what i would do (if anything) for v3.1 until i can consider it further

Bee-liever

no i dont think so and its not doing that for me

although no actual number is displayed in front of the grouping header, it is certainly adding an extra number into the playlist sequence #'s

I actually call the v2.5 behavior a bug as what v3 does is when shuffle is applied is disable the sort override.
I wouldn't call it a bug because, as I edited into my previous post
as it stands now, there is no longer a way to shuffle album playlists by album :(
If there is another way for MB to do this, I'm all ears. [or eyes as is the case on the forum :) ]

Steven

• Administrator
Sort By/ "Group By" order
which i think is effectively was v2.5 was doing