Author Topic: Dodgy CDs  (Read 1714 times)

jasongnome

A bit of background information: I emigrated 7 years ago and I've just had my records and CDs (several thousand of them) shipped from the UK to Cyprus. I'm currently ripping a lot of CDs. Some of them, after 7 years in storage are not in as good condition as I'd hoped. Some (not many fortunately) have tracks that skip, usually the last one or two tracks.

MusicBee's behaviour when this happens is irritating, I don't know if it's something fixable, or if it's going to happen no matter what, but I thought I'd report it and try and find out.

It just gets stuck on the dodgy track, it keeps trying to copy but there's no progress. The obvious solution is to hit cancel, which is what I do.

Then it says to wait 10 seconds while it closes background processes, no problem, except that it invariably fails to end the background processes and suggests a restart. That normally fixes it, and I can get the tracks it ripped before the dodgy one but a couple of times it has failed to re-open and I've had to end the process in Windows Task Manager to get it to start again.
Annoying rather than fatal, MusicBee seems to work normally again afterwards and I haven't noticed any data loss.

metabaron

i haven't used musicbee to rip my cds so i cant comment on the bug. however i recommend using exact audio copy. Make sure to setup Drive Options (use Secure Mode and test the drive features) as well as the Compression options (if you use constant bit rate high and low are useless - in short make sure the command parameters are correct) before ripping.

it will still choke on badly damaged cds but at least you can skip a track or cancel (just be patient).
the report will tell you how well it was ripped. I never managed to figure out how to use cueTools to fix a track, but that is also an option.

make sure to wash (and dry) cds before ripping and buff any visible scratches if it does't rip the first time (i use toothpaste).

jasongnome

Thanks, I'll take that advice on board.

Never thought of using toothpaste to clean them either - I'll give that a go.