Author Topic: Any basic info about the use and importance of tags?  (Read 1310 times)

WimYogya

It seems that even after long time use of MB and other databases I have no clue what tags are - and what they do.
Anyone able/willing to give me some simple information?

A few of my questions/problems:
1. When I ask MB to find tracks without tags it finds over 40.000 of them!
2. When I instruct MB to autotag them , it fails in most cases. Where a file is successfully updated I cannot see the difference.
3. Even tracks without tags have proper field information like title, artist, genre, track, duration, filesize etc... If that are NOT the tags, what ARE the tags?
4. When importing new tracks I sometimes see a message (or see it in the error log later) that certain files could not be 'auto-organized' because of missing tags. I have no clue what I must do then. The tracks seem to be in the correct folders...
5. In the main preferences panel I found a number of Bach music tracks with the message that it are AUDIOBOOKS (which is not true) and that there are no settings for audiobook auto-organizing.

Thanks for shining any light. But please keep it simple! ;-)
WimYogya
retired Dutchman (1944) in Yogyakarta, Indonesia

watdub

I can't help you exactly since I'm still learning MB :)

This link might help you with some basic info:
http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Tagging

jasongnome

Tags are a way of storing information about the audio file. They're stored in the file itself.

If you right click on any file in musicbee and click edit you'll see all the tags and what's in them. The basic ones are Artist, Title, Year, Album etc.

If you have the tags right your music will be a lot more organised.

Good lick sorting out 40,000 of them though!