Author Topic: Music files get "split" up even if tagged properly, why??  (Read 5225 times)

materialgrl

When I've tried to add albums sometimes, many times, they get split up in twos threes etc even if everything is correctly tagged. It's: Title - Contributing Artist - Album - NUmber. Everything is correctly labeled, so I wonder why, for some songs (and I've double checked that it's spelled correctly and gaps and stuff) does it split and have its own "album"??? I.e Song 1, 4 and 5 end up in its own album and the rest end up in another! I want everything in one album as it should be. I've almost given up on MusicBee because of the difficulty with changing stuff but thing is, I love MB and it's definitely got the best and clearest player I've heard, so I want to be able to use it :) Can anyone please help me with this. Does anyone else have the same problem? Thanks!

phred

• Global Moderator
Does this happen to all your albums, or just some?
If just some, might they be 'greatest hits' type albums? Or compilations? If so, is the year tag different on some of the tracks, or is the year the same across all tracks?
I've experienced this behavior on these types of albums and it's due to not all tracks having the same year tag.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

materialgrl

I've only just started and it only happens to some of them. I tried to do what you said, so I put one year for all songs but it's still splitting it up. Everything looks OK in Properties, and yet it gets all weird when loading it to MusicBee. Yes some are compilations and fan made, but I've also got fan made ones that are OK, that end up in one album. I don't know what's going on and how to fix it. I've also got compilations (real ones) that are OK, end up in one folder.

phred

• Global Moderator
Take a look at the tags using the Tag Inspector. Reachable from the Tag Editor.  Compare the tags for one track from each of the two different albums.  See if you can spot what's inconsistent.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

redwing

Check your grouping setting under Preferences> Sorting/Grouping. The default value is Album Artist + Album name, and it works in most cases.

materialgrl

I've done that. So I think it's good, but I noticed that with a lot of them I have the number and name of the artist in the Name part, where it's only supposed to be like this: 01. Miles Away - I have: 01. Winger - Miles Away. I think that has a bit to do with that it doesn't want to name it properly.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The title shouldn't affect your album grouping at all, but it does suggest there's something else up with your tags.  Often titles like that happen because the files were lacking tags and MB imported the filename for the sake of having some identifying info.

It might help if you posted some screenshots of what you're seeing in the library and the tag inspector for some of the files.

By the way, if you right click and go to "Auto-tag by track" the "Infer and update tags from filenames" command might help you fix some of those weird titles.  This might help: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Auto-Tagging#Infer_and_Update_Tags_From_Filename
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)