Author Topic: Storing music on an external drive.  (Read 1804 times)

jasongnome

I've started to rip a huge number of CDs, I also hve a load of vinyl to digitise. I've realised (after bothering to think about it!) that I'm not going to have close to enough space on my laptop drive, so I'm going to have to put everything on an external drive, possibly more than one.

My question, my external drive regularly gets unplugged from the laptop, with WMP if I unplugged an external drive it forgot everything that was on it and reloaded the entire library from scratch when I plugged it back in, very time consuming.

How does musicbee behave with external drives? I'm hoping that as it stores a library file on the main drive it will remember what's n the library and be ready to play immediately I plug the drive back in.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If the source drive for tracks is missing, I believe MusicBee just leaves them.  It doesn't even report then as missing unless the drive is connected AND the file is not found.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

jasongnome

Excellent. That's what I was hoping.

I've been using Music Bee for just over a month now and I'm very happy with it. Best player I've found by far, for both playing and ripping.