Author Topic: 'Now playing bar' displays downloaded artist picture  (Read 4205 times)

Bradex

In the 'main player view', when 'now playing' is selected under 'playlists' node in the left navigation pane, the 'now playing bar' gets displayed across the bottom of the Main Panel. It displays the artist picture (along with the album art) which is not embedded in the mp3 file. I think that the artist picture has been downloaded from the web. I do not want musicbee to do this. How can I change this setting?

Steven

• Administrator
support for reading artist pictures from the music file was removed ages ago.
You will need to save a copy of the artist picture in the folder set in Preferences/ Tags(1)/ artwork storage/ artist pictures location
named as <artist>.jpg

Bradex

I am not asking for the artist pictures to be displayed. I am saying that the artist pictures are getting displayed by MB (probably downloaded) without me having any artist pictures. How to stop that?

Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 10:18:46 AM by Bradex

Bradex

I did this: Right-click on the now playing bar > Customize panel settings > Displayed tags > Unticked artist photos

After this, perhaps MB stopped downloading new artist pictures. But those pictures which it already showed are being still shown. Can I know the location of these files, so that I can delete them.

Starmender

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\InternalCache\ArtistBackdrops

Additionally you can deny writing rights to that folder to ensure that MusicBee won't download any more pictures.

Bradex

I deleted it. But the file (artist name.dat) comes back again on restarting MusicBee. What to do?

Is it due to the artwork downloader? If so, how to turn it off?

I have already unticked everything under "artwork" in Edit > Preferences > Tags (2)
Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 11:28:12 AM by Bradex

Starmender

One thing you can do is to deny writing rights to the ArtistBackdrops folder (Properties -> Security -> Edit -> Choose user -> Deny write).
I believe that artwork settings in Edit > Preferences > Tags (2) apply only to album covers.

Edit: May i ask why this is an issue?
Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:51:41 PM by starmender

Bradex

Thanks for the directions, I will try it!

I thought that MusicBee might use up lots of my disc space by downloading unnecessary artist pictures for the thousands of mp3 files I have on my PC. However, I found that MusicBee downloads these files only when played. Moreover, the downloaded files have very small size. So this might not be a big issue. On the other hand, I do not like my applications downloading contents from the internet without my consent.

These apart, the images actually give a nice appearance! So, as long as the downloaded artist pictures are accurate, I will rest this issue for now.