Author Topic: Sorting By Date Added / Modified Problem  (Read 4485 times)

fkm

Having difficulty getting albums to sort by when I added them to my library.

For example, I've created a normal non-dynamic playlist to which I drag and drop new albums I've bought (I do this to standardize metadata first before adding them to my library). I use Album & Tracks and Album Covers as the viewing option. I have sort enabled for Date Modified and no grouping. However, albums are not being properly sorted by Date Added or Modified. It's almost like there's some other sort order going on first which which subsequently uses the date added. Albums for me are sorted a bit like this:

Album 1 June 10
Album 2 June 09
Album 3 June 08
Album 4 June 10
Album 5 June 09

Assume I'm missing something obvious here?

redwing

Looks like it's sorted based on lastly added/modified track of each album.
It makes sense if those last tracks are included in albums from the node.
But it doesn't make sense when those tracks are not included in albums like in playlists. Maybe this needs to be addressed so that albums get sorted only by included tracks.

fkm

I'm not sure, sorting by date added still keeps all the tracks within each album in the correct order (all the tracks have the same date & time added hence MB must subsequently default to track# to sort), however its just the albums which are not listed in the correct order. Some new albums I've added a day or two ago are appearing at the bottom of the list.

The other thing is that if I select the Tracks view, then everything is correctly sorted via date added. If you go back to album / tracks view and you click on any field to sort eg track# or Track Title, everything is correctly sorted numerically or alphabetically. It just seems limited to date added / modified that things aren't sorted properly. Pulling out my hair trying to find a pattern as to why this is happening!

redwing

Read my comments again. I'm talking about album sorting, not tracks sorting within an album.
My guess is you might have the same album in your library. Then it affects how your playlist is sorted even if they are not included in it.

redwing

@Steven;

When you have time, have a look at this issue. I wouldn't say it's a bug but it looks quite odd.
MB somehow remembers each album's date added value based on the last added track's, and then uses those values when sorting albums by date added even when those last added tracks are not present for the current node. My suggestion is it should sort albums only based on present tracks for a given node.

Steven

• Administrator
for the Album and Tracks layout, in order to keep albums together (even tracks added at the same time can have millisecond differences), MB uses the date of the most recent track in the album

redwing

for the Album and Tracks layout, in order to keep albums together (even tracks added at the same time can have millisecond differences), MB uses the date of the most recent track in the album

Even when the most recent track is not present for the node?
Say, an album has 10 tracks and #1 thru #9 were added in 2010 and #10 was added in 2012.
A playlist contains only #3 track of that album, but MB treats the album as date added in 2012, not 2010.

Steven

• Administrator
yes thats right. Its based on a lookup built for the entire library.
While i understand there are cases where the current behavior is seen as wrong, if i changed it so MB just used the date on each track then it would lead to albums appearing either out of track order even when the album tracks were added at the same time.
However I am going to experiment with a couple of ideas i have

Steven

• Administrator
unfortunately the change made can cause some instability with the sort-ordering when sorting by date added in certain cases so i can going to revert to the old behavior for now ie. MB will use the maximum date-added for all tracks in the album. I will make another attempt to address this though
edit:
its addressed for the next patch update
Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:32:39 AM by Steven

lesa00

Hi, just registered to say that I thinks I found a workaround for this meanwhile it's addressed properly --> create a custom sorting and select first modified and then added, both descending order and any new file will be on top.  :)  hope it helps somebody.