Author Topic: m4a tag not read properly  (Read 6158 times)

Fabio

i have m4a music files which show the correct tags in windows explorer but not in MuscBee 

Steven

• Administrator
can you PM me a link to a zip of one of the files

Fabio

here it is

edit:
link removed
Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 02:19:11 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
i have no problems with the file you sent.
Which version of MB are you using and if its not v3, then i suggest you get the latest from the downloads page

Fabio

i have 3.0.6004, i have installed the new version today... what may the problem be? do you have any suggestion of others things for me to check? i have Windows10

Steven

• Administrator
the only suggestion i have is to rescan the file(s) using right click/ Send To/ Rescan File

Fabio

no luck... i have just tried. also, i opened the Tag Inspector (right click->edit->tag Inspector) and the RATING name is not there, while i can see it for other m4a files.. 

redwing

Maybe rating of that file is stored in the database only. Do you have "store ratings in the music file" option ticked under Preferences> Tags (1)? If not, tick that option, restart MB, change rating of the track, and check with tag inspector again.

Fabio

yes, that option is ticked. the fact is that the file was tagged with another software (Tag&Rename), and i can see the tag on Windows Explorer, but not in MusicBee. this is driving me crazy. I really like MusicBee and this is the only problem i am having, but it is stopping me from moving fully to MB, since i have a huge collection of pre-tagged music and i am losing the tags of many songs.. what tags can you see in your MB for that file?

redwing

The program seems to have export function. You could export rating of those tracks to a csv file from that program and then import those values into MB using Additional Tagging Tools plugin: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=9149.0

I don't know what rating scheme that program uses. You might need to convert those values to MB's rating scheme (0-255).

boroda

actually mb supports both rating schemes: 0-5 and 0-255, i.e. if rating is not greater than 5 on writing rating then rating is multiplied by 20.

Fabio

i have tried the Additional Tagging Tools and it works well. Problem solved for now. Thanks for your help and thanks for developing MusicBee!!

yin

Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm going through the same thing.

Imported a few m4a files and even though windows explorer shows them as having metadata, musicbee won't. I tried re-scanning, updating musicbee (currently it's in version 3.1.6585) and even auto-tagging using using the filename - nothing happens. If I try renaming the music manually I get an error saying "Validation failed after attempting to save file".

I checked the files and the "read only" option is turned off.

Steven

• Administrator
PM me a link to one of the files and i will have a look

boroda