Author Topic: Lost in the Tango. Help Please..  (Read 4837 times)

KaosiKosmos

I will explain in detail how i have setup the folders and organise features.

This is were i have added the first MusicBee library:
C:\Users\Core7\Music\MusicBeeLibraries\MusicDB

Inside the MusicDB folder i have made two subfolders:

C:\Users\Core7\Music\MusicBeeLibraries\MusicDB\Inbox
C:\Users\Core7\Music\MusicBeeLibraries\MusicDB\Monitor

The Music Library is on another drive G:\MusicDB

So now i need to know if things are setup properly in the preferences.

In the Scan Folders for new files i have added the path G:\MusicDB

In the Library Preferences i have auto organise media files checked with 1 rule/line:
move: music, on drive: G:\, to folder: G:\MusicDB\

Monitored folder are checked:
C:\Users\Core7\Music\MusicBeeLibraries\MusicDB\Monitor

Automatically sweep and organise new files checked:
C:\Users\Core7\Music\MusicBeeLibraries\MusicDB\Inbox\

Add to inbox and continuosly monitor checked.

Before i start adding folders..Does this look like a proper setup?
Please let me know. Thanks for all help.

Almost there:)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Before all this, you need to work out how you are going to have your library (containing the actual music files) on G:\ organised.

And how do you bring your music into MusicBee?  Are you going to rip CD's to the Inbox folder?
Do you have torrents that are going to be in your Monitor folder?

Neither the Inbox or Monitor have be physical folders named as such.

If you are looking for the files to be moved from C:\Users\Core7\Music\MusicBeeLibraries\MusicDB\Inbox to G:\MusicDB, this is not going to happen with these settings.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

KaosiKosmos

Before all this, you need to work out how you are going to have your library (containing the actual music files) on G:\ organised.

And how do you bring your music into MusicBee?  Are you going to rip CD's to the Inbox folder?
Do you have torrents that are going to be in your Monitor folder?

Neither the Inbox or Monitor have be physical folders named as such.

If you are looking for the files to be moved from C:\Users\Core7\Music\MusicBeeLibraries\MusicDB\Inbox to G:\MusicDB, this is not going to happen with these settings.

At the moment i have my music folders on an external usb drive that id like to get organised and added to the G:\MusicDB folder.
I havent even thought about having torrents in my monitor folder.

My intention is to copy those folders that are on the usb drive to the monitor folder where they will be organised and swept to the inbox folder (so i can see all new files added) and tag them properly, and when tagged i send them manually to the library on G:\MusicDB

Is there a better way to do this? Where did i fail in the setup?

Bee-liever

At the moment i have my music folders on an external usb drive that id like to get organised and added to the G:\MusicDB folder.

My intention is to copy those folders that are on the usb drive to the monitor folder where they will be organised and swept to the inbox folder (so i can see all new files added) and tag them properly, and when tagged i send them manually to the library on G:\MusicDB

I'm assuming here that the external usb drive is the G:/ drive and you haven't had MB scan the location for files when first installed

1.  Go to auto-organise and set up
move:music | on drive:G:\  |  to folder:G:\MusicDB  |  naming template: [here you need to work out how you are going to have your tracks organised by tags, when you have finished tagging them properly]
2.  Make sure 'also move remaining non-media files' and 'do not reorganise files with missing naming tags' are ticked

Note that none of these settings will effect files that have not been added to your music library!

3.  Now go to monitored folders> Choose Folders
     Add the G:\ drive to your monitored folders - deselecting any sub-folder with music files you don't want to show up in your Inbox
     (you may have close and re-open the 'Choose Folders' dialog to have the sub-folders appear)
4.  select 'continuously monitor' (you can un-tick 'include video files' if you are not using them)
5.  In new file action: select 'add to inbox' only
     Do not select 'mark and send duplicates to the inbox'
     Do not select 'automatically sweep and organise new files'

6.  Apply and Save preferences, then restart MB.
     MB will now go through your G:\ drive looking for music files and they will be sent to MB's Inbox.
     This is a virtual folder and the files are not actually moved off the G:\ drive
     You access this by clicking 'Inbox' in the LH navigation panel
     When you have tagged your file/s to your liking in the inbox, select and right-click to 'Send To> Music Library'
     MB will then use the template you defined in auto-organise to re-name the files and move them to G:\MusicDB\"whatever template you decided"

Hope this clears things up for you :)

KaosiKosmos

I'm assuming here that the external usb drive is the G:/ drive and you haven't had MB scan the location for files when first installed

move:music | on drive:G:\  |  to folder:G:\MusicDB  |  naming template: [here you need to work out how you are going to have your tracks organised by tags, when you have finished tagging them properly]
2.  Make sure 'also move remaining non-media files' and 'do not reorganise files with missing naming tags' are ticked

Note that none of these settings will effect files that have not been added to your music library!

Add the G:\ drive to your monitored folders - deselecting any sub-folder with music files you don't want to show up in your Inbox
     (you may have close and re-open the 'Choose Folders' dialog to have the sub-folders appear)
4.  select 'continuously monitor' (you can un-tick 'include video files' if you are not using them)
5.  In new file action: select 'add to inbox' only
     Do not select 'mark and send duplicates to the inbox'
     Do not select 'automatically sweep and organise new files'

6.  Apply and Save preferences, then restart MB.
     MB will now go through your G:\ drive looking for music files and they will be sent to MB's Inbox.
     This is a virtual folder and the files are not actually moved off the G:\ drive
     You access this by clicking 'Inbox' in the LH navigation panel
     When you have tagged your file/s to your liking in the inbox, select and right-click to 'Send To> Music Library'
     MB will then use the template you defined in auto-organise to re-name the files and move them to G:\MusicDB\"whatever template you decided"

Hope this clears things up for you :)

Thanks for helping out. The G:\ drive is actually an internal 2Tb drive and the external drive is a drive i plug and unplug all the time when i need to transfer something from my laptop or other devices to the desktop. It happens it also changes drive letter sometimes when its plugged in. So this is not a drive i have connected on a permanent basis.

So with this in mind, maybe things will look a bit different than what you have described?

Bee-liever

The G:\ drive is actually an internal 2Tb drive and the external drive is a drive i plug and unplug all the time when i need to transfer something from my laptop or other devices to the desktop. It happens it also changes drive letter sometimes when its plugged in. So this is not a drive i have connected on a permanent basis.

So with this in mind, maybe things will look a bit different than what you have described?
The only step that needs to change is;

Add the G:\MusicDB folder and C:\Users\Core7\Music\MusicBeeLibraries\MusicDB\Inbox folder to your monitored folders
     (you may have to close and re-open the 'Choose Folders' dialog to have the sub-folders appear)

So when you plug in the external drive, you just need to copy/move the files to C:\Users\Core7\Music\MusicBeeLibraries\MusicDB\Inbox and it will work the same.

KaosiKosmos

The G:\ drive is actually an internal 2Tb drive and the external drive is a drive i plug and unplug all the time when i need to transfer something from my laptop or other devices to the desktop. It happens it also changes drive letter sometimes when its plugged in. So this is not a drive i have connected on a permanent basis.

Add the G:\MusicDB folder and C:\Users\Core7\Music\MusicBeeLibraries\MusicDB\Inbox folder to your monitored folders
     (you may have to close and re-open the 'Choose Folders' dialog to have the sub-folders appear)

So when you plug in the external drive, you just need to copy/move the files to C:\Users\Core7\Music\MusicBeeLibraries\MusicDB\Inbox and it will work the same.

Got it now. I dont need a physical monitor folder like you said.
Its all set up and working well, exept that the empty folders in the inbox arent deleted after files/album sent to library.
Hopefully there be a fix for this in the future..
Thanks for the assistance.

Bee-liever

exept that the empty folders in the inbox arent deleted after files/album sent to library.
make sure you have no hidden files left in the folders.
MB won't delete the folders if something like a hidden folder.jpg is still left in them.

KaosiKosmos

exept that the empty folders in the inbox arent deleted after files/album sent to library.
make sure you have no hidden files left in the folders.
MB won't delete the folders if something like a hidden folder.jpg is still left in them.

I have a hidden text file in the root folder of the inbox.
But there are no hidden files in the album folders i move to library.

KaosiKosmos

Ok, so if i copy or move the files from the external drive i do actually need to have an inbox folder, right?
And just to be sure, in the step 1 you described previous:

Beside from the changes in step 3 you already described, i also need to change the auto organise setup "on drive" to C:\ instead of G:\, right?

Bee-liever

Ok, so if i copy or move the files from the external drive i do actually need to have an inbox folder, right?
Only if these things have changed and you plan to tag the files while they are on the usb drive, otherwise you still need a physical folder to store these files in while you re-tag them.
the external drive is a drive i plug and unplug all the time when i need to transfer something from my laptop or other devices to the desktop. It happens it also changes drive letter sometimes when its plugged in. So this is not a drive i have connected on a permanent basis.

And just to be sure, in the step 1 you described previous:

Beside from the changes in step 3 you already described, i also need to change the auto organise setup "on drive" to C:\ instead of G:\, right?
Oops. Missed that one.
You need to add a second drive mapping
move:music | on drive:C:\  |  to folder:G:\MusicDB

The reason behind this is, if you don't have the mapping and naming template set up for your main library folder (move:music | on drive:G:\  |  to folder:G:\MusicDB  |  naming template:) any updates you might make to tags on the files already in your library (that are used in your template), won't actually change the organisation.

KaosiKosmos

I really appreciate your effort in trying to help me. Hope you dont mind but i had to reset my mind and start all over again.

I have been going to all steps one more time and created a new library.
Lets just forget about the external drive, and take into consideration i have all files already on the computer. 

New MusicBee Library:

C:\Users\Core7\Music\MusicBeeLibraries\Music Collection
C:\Users\Core7\Music\MusicBeeLibraries\Music Collection\Inbox (Inbox folder cont. monitored)

I like to keep my Music Collection at this location on my computer:

G:\Music Collection

So if i get it right i can either add/copy files to the inbox folder and/or monitor ("add to inbox") whatever folder that contains music files, right?

Bee-liever

I'm assuming that
is the MusicBee database library and the actual music files are at
G:\Music Collection

you need to have G:\Music Collection in your monitored folder selection so that any changes you might make to the files (outside of MB) are picked up and changed in the database.

you can have any other folder you want MB to keep an eye on for changes also in the monitored folders list

but do not put the database folder into the monitored folders selection

So if i get it right i can either add/copy files to the inbox folder and/or monitor ("add to inbox") whatever folder that contains music files, right?
you have it right.
you don't even have to have an inbox folder
if you have any folder in your monitoring list and the "add to inbox" option for new files checked, then any new file you add to any monitored folder will show up in the inbox node.
Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:19:36 AM by Bee-liever

KaosiKosmos

but do not put the database folder into the monitored folders selection

Are you referring to this folder:

Or this one:
C:\Users\Core7\Music\MusicBeeLibraries\Music Collection\Inbox (Inbox folder cont. monitored)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It shouldn't particularly matter.  My library folder is inside my monitored folder and it's never hurt anything.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)