Author Topic: Renaming files and folders  (Read 15538 times)

KaosiKosmos

Yes

I get a message the path cannot be the same as/ or a subfolder of one of the other rules.

I took a screen shot. How do i upload image?

redwing

What's your template? It shouldn't have "G:\Music" part.

redwing

For screenshots, upload your picture to www.imgur.com and then post the link.

KaosiKosmos

For screenshots, upload your picture to www.imgur.com and then post the link.

http://imgur.com/dUK9hRr

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="dUK9hRr"><a href="//imgur.com/dUK9hRr">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No image in post ?

redwing

Why do you have one more music rule for the same drive and folder?

KaosiKosmos

Why do you have one more music rule for the same drive and folder?

Probably because im confused.
Im not trying to do any complex stuff here.

Basically what i wanna do is rename the files and folders that is inside G:\Music (Not copy or move, just replace the old names)
This is the only (monitored) folder i have where i keep the music. When using the send to and move files to organized folder i managed to rename the files.
But the auto-organise got me confused.

The library folder is located on the C: drive, but all the music is in G:\Music. But thats ok isnt it? Or should i keep the music in the library folder?

Do you have any idea what rules i should enter?

redwing

redwing

You don't need the second red-lined rule. Only the first rule suffices.

If you can't remove the second line, then remove the first rule and enter the same template to the second rule. Either way.

redwing

Where you keep your music files has nothing to do with where you keep your library folder.
Also, as you can see from the organization settings, you can, if you want, store your files in different folders on different drives.
Later if you want to auto-add new files on a different drive to the same G:\Music folder, then just add another music rule such as "C:\" to "G:\Music". No need to put template this time as it will use the previous template for the same target folder (G:\Music).

KaosiKosmos

Where you keep your music files has nothing to do with where you keep your library folder.
Also, as you can see from the organization settings, you can, if you want, store your files in different folders on different drives.
Later if you want to auto-add new files on a different drive to the same G:\Music folder, then just add another music rule such as "C:\" to "G:\Music". No need to put template this time as it will use the previous template for the same target folder (G:\Music).

Yes, finally. Its working.
Thanks so much for your help.
Thumbs up:)

KaosiKosmos

Maybe this is a little bug or something..

When copying folders into the auto organise folder as described earlier id like to keep all the non media files.
This way when i copy a folder and paste it into the folder that is set to organise the folder and file names gets replaced with new names.

Only thing is that when i copy and paste multiple folders there are always some non media files that isnt organised and gets "stuck" in the old folder thats
being renamed. So i end up with more folders than ive copied. Say if i copy 10 folders, i end up with 12 or 13 in the destination. With the 2 or 3 folders containing only non media files. But what puzzles me is that if i copy and paste one and one folder everything works great. As soon as a folder is pasted its starts organising the folder.

(Ive tried with the same folders when copying one and one verses multiple)

Any idea why this happens? 

redwing

Aside from the possible bug issue, why are you copying folders to the auto-organized target folder?
If you have set the target folder as one of monitored folders, it would work in theory. But that's quite an unusual way to import new files to auto-organized library, and it might be the cause for that behavior as it's sort of constantly re-organizing new files.
Create another folder on G drive and set the folder as monitored folder. Then copy new folders to that folder instead of the target folder.
If the bug persists afterwards, then report it to Bug Reports forum with the specific examples so that Steven could investigate the issue.

KaosiKosmos

Aside from the possible bug issue, why are you copying folders to the auto-organized target folder?
If you have set the target folder as one of monitored folders, it would work in theory. But that's quite an unusual way to import new files to auto-organized library, and it might be the cause for that behavior as it's sort of constantly re-organizing new files.
Create another folder on G drive and set the folder as monitored folder. Then copy new folders to that folder instead of the target folder.
If the bug persists afterwards, then report it to Bug Reports forum with the specific examples so that Steven could investigate the issue.

Maybe im doing it the wrong way, but im copying the folders to get the files and folders renamed automatically.
Yes, the target folder is the monitor folder and also the main music library where im gonna keep all my files.
If this isnt the proper way to do it, please tell how it should be.

I tried making and new folder G:\monitor and set it to monitor folder and pasted a folder into it, it got organised and moved to the target folder, but the new folder G:\monitor i made got deleted and disappeared automatically after the music folder was moved.
Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 08:50:50 AM by audiofractal

redwing

Yes, if a source folder gets empty, MB removes it. You will need to keep some files in there not to get auto-removed.
Another way is access the original source folder (where you're copying those folders from)  from computer node, and select files> right-click> Send to> Library.
Also you can run File> Scan folders for new files command and choose the folder.

BTW what happened to the non-media files issue when you used different importing method?
Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 09:05:26 AM by redwing