Author Topic: Renaming files and folders  (Read 15481 times)

KaosiKosmos

I need to organize and rename my files and folder (music collection) and need to be sure i do it the proper way.

My MusicBee library is located in:

C:\Users\Core7\Music. While the music files are on another internal drive G:\Music

So my aim is to tag the music files with metadata. And im pretty sure how to do this with selecting an album and choose auto tag by album.

Next step will be to rename the actual folders and files in the location G:\Music.

Here things are a bit unclear and i could really need some advice on this approach.

Some step by step guidance will be appreciated. Thanks.   

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

KaosiKosmos

This may help you: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/File_Organization

Im have tried, but still i have unwanted results.

What i want to do is:

Update and replace the file names in a folder with organized new file names.

Is this possible or do i have to move the files to a new folder or copy them to a new folder?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Just untick the "to folder" part of the organized folder settings
Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:36:41 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

KaosiKosmos

Just untick the "to folder" part of the organized folder settings

The "to folder" is already unticked. But still it moves the files to a new folder inside the main folder.
But the 3 remaining non media files are still in the main folder and not moved, although the "also move remaining non media files" box is checked.

Any other suggestions?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It sounds like you have a folder hierarchy in your template, then.  If you only want to change the filename, make sure the template has no "\" characters in it.  Those create new folders.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

KaosiKosmos

It sounds like you have a folder hierarchy in your template, then.  If you only want to change the filename, make sure the template has no "\" characters in it.  Those create new folders.

Ok, makes sense. But if removing this caracter \ it only renames the files inside the folder.(But not the folder itself)
My intention is to rename the actual folder name AND the files inside the folder.

Maybe i need to create a new folder anyways if i want to rename the folder?
Or can i overwrite the existing folder name with a new one the same way its done with the files inside the folder?

redwing

You said you have your files under G:\Music. If you want to organize your files under that folder, then tick "to folder" and select the folder. Additional folder structure can be configured in naming templates box using \ as folder separator.

KaosiKosmos

You said you have your files under G:\Music. If you want to organize your files under that folder, then tick "to folder" and select the folder. Additional folder structure can be configured in naming templates box using \ as folder separator.

Takes some time to get use to, but ive had some practice now and i think finally i got things under control.

So if i decide not to move the non media files, these files will remain in the original folder and another folder will be created for the music files, right?
So the result will be two folders. One with the new renamed music files and one with the non media files. So the non media files folder has to be deleted manually if i dont want
to keep them, right?

KaosiKosmos

Yes, that's correct.

Ok so i understand better now how to do this manually as were the intention of this Topic

But when it comes to the auto organize part im still a bit confused, so i have one last question.

All my files and folders are on G:\Music

So when i go into the Auto Organise Library Files and define the rules it seems i cannot define the rules the same way
i can when doing it manually as described earlier. Or?

I dont need to move files from another drive to G:\Music , just want to rename the files and folders thats already there or will be pasted later.
Is this doable or is the auto organise part only for moving files between two locations or harddrives?

redwing

KaosiKosmos

Just put G:\ to G:\Music and your template.

Like "on drive"= G:\
And "to folder"= G:\Music

Correct?