Author Topic: lame and nero aac link  (Read 9004 times)

redwing

Currently the lame link on the wiki FAQ page directs to "lame for audacity". Has this been always the case? Why not use RareWares compiles that hydrogenaudio recommends? (http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=LAME#Recommended_encoder_compiles_and_source_code)

And nero aac encoder link is currently not correctly linked to the file. Looks like they changed their site. May need some popular download site link.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The Lame link was changed because there was a problem accessing RareWares (looks like it's fixed now).

I'll have to look into the Nero AAC link (or you can).

Edit: fixed now.
Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:56:57 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

Thanks! Just made a slight change to the nero link as the download link was hard to find.
BTW was the lame linked to RareWares compiles before? I can't remember what it was before on the MB homepage.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
All I remember is that it was hard to figure out what to do before.  Seems to be a lot easier now.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

Nero link has changed again. The new site seems to no longer have the file.

k76

I just installed the tryout for Nero 2016 just to find out that there's no neroaacenc.exe (or whatever it was called) in the whole installation.

It's not possible to use ffmpeg for aac? The non-free self compiled version's aac is supposed to be very very good, and the little I've used it for converting, it is. Compiling it is out of the league of many (installing MSYS is just about the easiest way...) but a binary can be found at http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer/

redwing

I just installed the tryout for Nero 2016 just to find out that there's no neroaacenc.exe (or whatever it was called) in the whole installation.

It's not possible to use ffmpeg for aac? The non-free self compiled version's aac is supposed to be very very good, and the little I've used it for converting, it is. Compiling it is out of the league of many (installing MSYS is just about the easiest way...) but a binary can be found at http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer/

As I reported earlier, the wiki link is outdated. Do not install their tryouts to get the encoder as it's not included. Use the mirror site on the wiki for nero encoder, or you can try other encoders as well. I'd recommend QAAC as it is regarded one of the best AAC encoders. Actually hydrogenaudio lists ffmpeg as the least recommended AAC encoder:

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=AAC#Encoders_.2F_Decoders_.28Supported_Platforms.29

k76

That bad rating is for ffmpeg's basic aac encoder, when talking about non-free versions we're talking about libfaac or libfdk_aac (the best). So if I give the correct path to my non-free ffmpeg libfdk_aac build can MB use this for aac?

What is QAAC where to get it? Or is that just shorthand for quicktime aac.

(Lol i actually had neroaacenc.exe seems it's distributed with MediaCoder, had forgotten about that.)

redwing

redwing

So if I give the correct path to my non-free ffmpeg libfdk_aac build can MB use this for aac?

You will need to place those files under MusicBee\Codec folder. Same for any encoder.

redwing

Just removed the outdated link to nero encoder on the wiki. Now it directs straight to the free-codecs site link.

beefed_up

Hi

So is the correct link http://www.free-codecs.com/nero_aac_codec_download.htm ?    V1.5.4, yes? 

BTW the wiki still has a number (4 or 5 perhaps) of references to the Nero site, can I suggest you update them all.  It's taken me quite a time to track this encoder down!  Difficult I know when 3rd parties change their sites.

Thanks.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you can link to the pages that need to be changed, that would help.  Otherwise I'll try to search for them later
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

beefed_up

Unfortunately I lost track of how I'd got to the various pages as it's referenced from a few places - in part reflecting that you can get to the dialogue itself from various places, including from CD ripping, file conversion (right-click > send-to) and of course the preferences menu>file converter, so it's probably in those links.  I did a search for Nero at one point (after seeing this thread that suggested there was an updated link in at least one of those!) and it came up with 4 results.  Sorry that's all a bit vague.

I did download from the free codecs link I quoted, and moved the neroaacenc.exe file into the correct MB directory, but when I tried to convert a file from FLAC to AAC it didn't do anything, just stayed on the convert dialogue.  Haven't had time to investigate further as yet, will report back when I do.  I'm on MB 3.0.5977 btw.  Maybe I just need to restart MB or something.  >> Edit: yes, restarted and it's fine now.

Thanks

Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:08:08 PM by beefed_up

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think I found them all.  Rather than try to edit each one, I just pointed all the other pages to the FAQ.  My favorite thing about wikis is not having to duplicate information.  :)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)