Author Topic: Theater Mode: Rdio Background  (Read 7567 times)

Steven

• Administrator
ok, i will leave the theater mode plugin unchanged for now but keep the new functionality in v3 Playing Tracks

redwing

That'd be good. I will also look at why it happens only with some covers.

redwing

Did some tests with various cover images, and the patterns in my previous screenshots seem to be more of an exception than a norm.
Those patterns must be some sort of artifact resulting from high magnification of a compressed digital image. Usually they can be observed from edge areas where different, contrasting colors meet. That's why they are more pronounced in multicolored images like "Tango in the Night".
If you later implement controls over blur intensity and magnification power, I could do more investigation. But I'm fine if you replace it with a new algorithm for TM since only a small fraction of covers get affected by artifacts with greater improvement in general.

Steven

• Administrator
i've got hold of a couple of blurring algorithms and at a later date i will implement them to see if better results can be produced. Based on your feedback i am going to go with the blurring mode for the theater mode plugin for the v3 patch and next release

Steven

• Administrator
i had a look at an open source graphics library and it produces a slightly worse "ringing" effect when blurring sharply contrasting colours close together, as well as being many times slower than the windows one i use.
Even with paint.net, while much better, it also produces this effect. So i will leave things as is

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
If the blurring algorithm (or another filter) could add positioned dithering I think the problem would be reduced (or even fixed)
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Xenatier

Any chance you can look into this again to fix the artifacting issues?