Author Topic: Request to add discogs as provider for Album Auto-Tagger  (Read 18901 times)

Steven

• Administrator
The problem is Album Auto-Tagger is not able to find ANY metadata (not a single album !!!), whereas I could find 19 different Albums (!) for the track using Discogs with the latest TagScanner and even more with MP3Tag 2.48c, but the Discogs results from MP3Tag were mostly inaccurate.
i just did a search on the discogs website and there is no album on that site called "Amour" by "Billy Joel".
Dicogs doesnt have a track search (not that i know of) feature so as a guess perhaps the other tools are using the name of the single to search which also happens to be the name of some of his albums, so thats why its working but thats just a guess.
Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:31:20 PM by Steven

VX

i just did a search on the discogs website and there is no album on that site called "Amour" by "Billy Joel".
Forget the Album title and use Artist and Track Title as it was described above. I think the album tag is blank in the track, isn't it  ???

Dicogs doesnt have a track search (not that i know of) feature so as a guess perhaps the other tools are using the name of the single to search which also happens to be the name of some of his albums, so thats why its working but thats just a guess.
There is no need to guess  :D As I've described above TagScanner can use artist and track title to search for an album. It was able to find about 10 DIFFERENT albums (including singles) on Discogs website that match the criteria (TagScanner found 19 albums but the same album with the single was shown multiple times). Have you checked the track with TagScanner as it was described above  ???

VX

But all you need to do is higlight the file you want to move and click the down arrow - in this case just move it down to track #2, and it will take the title from track #2.

It doesn't help. The track is saved with the first track title  :( Can I just choose the correct track with a mouse and save it  ???

Steven

• Administrator
if you blank out the album name when searching it will go through all the releases and retrieve only the releases that have the track title you enter in your criteria. But in billy joels case in all likelyhood it will timeout as there are so many releases on discogs.
i dont have tag scanner and dont want to install it (nothing against tag scanner!)

Steven

• Administrator
But all you need to do is higlight the file you want to move and click the down arrow - in this case just move it down to track #2, and it will take the title from track #2.
It doesn't help. The track is saved with the first track title  :( Can I just choose the correct track with a mouse and save it  ???
i have no idea what you are doing - it works fine!

VX

if you blank out the album name when searching it will go through all the releases and retrieve only the releases that have the track title you enter in your criteria. But in billy joels case in all likelyhood it will timeout as there are so many releases on discogs.
i dont have tag scanner and dont want to install it (nothing against tag scanner!)

It does make sense. Maybe MB Album Auto-Tagger has stopped because there were too many albums, which contain the track by Billy Joel in the Discogs database.
If You don't want to download portable version of TagScanner to check the bug out I could make a screenshot of the results to prove that TagScanner is incomparably more effective IN THIS CASE. Do you want me to make a screenshot  ???
Could You please check if there is a way to prevent MusicBee Auto-Tagger form timeout every time there are many albums that contain the same track by a particular artist  ???

VX

i have no idea what you are doing - it works fine!

It doesn't work this way but I just copied the correct title and pasted it to the track manually. Not a big deal. Thanks  :)

Steven

• Administrator
i've improved the search on discogs where no album is entered in the search criteria (which is what you need to do for the billy joel track as discogs doesnt have that album)
http://www.mediafire.com/?qy9o0ydyupuit8o
Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:15:19 AM by Steven

VX

i've improved the search on discogs where no album is entered in the search criteria (which is what you need to do for the billy joel track as discogs doesnt have that album)
http://www.mediafire.com/?qy9o0ydyupuit8o

I've tested the enhancements and I must admit that I'm really impressed with the results !!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!
In a few hours Music Bee Auto-Tagger has improved the results for the track from 0 to 16 albums (taking into consideration Discogs service only). (Some of the albums are even missing with TagScanner). That's incredible  :o Steven, you are the best developer I've ever met  :)

Comparing the current results for the track by Billy Joel I can see that MusicBee is able to find even more albums for the track using Discogs service than TagScanner did. 8)
The only significant difference is that TagScanner seems to be more effective in finding the track by Billy Joel on Album Compilations by VARIOUS Artists. Have a look:

Most of the above albums are missing when MusicBee Auto_Tagger is used. MusicBee AutoTagger results are more accurate though.
I was trying to replace Artist tag from 'Billy Joel' to 'Various' but it doesn't really help.

UPDATE:

What about an option in the Auto-Tagger search criteria to include Compilations in the search results  ???

That option could refer to Auto-Tag by Track or at least Auto-Tag by Album.
When ticked, Auto-Tagger would search for the selected track in Albums by Various artists as it was shown at above screenshot form TagScanner.
Note that I've checked all the Compilation albums and the track 'Just the way you are' is performed by Billy Joel on every album listed above, so it's technically possible but might be not so easy to implement.
Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:40:34 PM by VX

VX

What about an option in the Auto-Tagger search criteria to include Compilations in the search results  ???

That option could refer to Auto-Tag by Track or at least Auto-Tag by Album.
When ticked, Auto-Tagger would search for the selected track in Albums by Various artists as it was shown at above screenshot form TagScanner.

I would really like to have this feature implemented. Is it possible in one of the future releases  ???

VX

Any comments  about improving support for Compilations in autotagger (as it was described in details in the last but one post above) ???