Author Topic: Request to add discogs as provider for Album Auto-Tagger  (Read 18898 times)

Steven

• Administrator
the way discogs is organised its quite easy to distinguish when its a different set of tracks/ ordering - so not considering publisher wont make any difference ie. you will still get 2 or more results if the albums really are different.
Its just that i've seen cases where you can have numerous publishers and its exactly the same tracks/ durations/ order

Lore

Steven,

If so, I agree with both the conditions you're going to implement.

Lore

VX

First of all, thank you very much for implementing the feature request :) The support You provide for MusicBee is unrivaled. I've never met a Developer who is so sympathetic to meet users' needs.  8)
That's why I've been active on the forum; I wish I was more helpful though :(

I have had no time to test Discogs support throughly yet, but I'll do it soon. When working with a few tracks with missing tags and the Album Auto-Tagger I couldn't see Discogs in the source column, which is rather weird  ??? The only sources in the column were MusicBrainz and FreeDB. I'm using MB 1.2.4121.

i'm going to tweak how Discogs is handled as its returning a huge number of results for older artists. Let me know if anyone does not agree but this is what i will do:
- not retrieve the publisher (often the same album is released by different publishers in different countries)
- only return the oldest release (where its the same set of album tracks/ durations)

IMHO, both tweaks are welcome, not for Discogs only but as global default options for all Auto Tagger providers.
MusicBrainz is always providing  a few instances of the same album released by a different publisher and it would be great to narrow the search results to the oldest release only too. Implementing the tweaks would make Auto-Tagger results more accurate I suppose.

Steven

• Administrator
this version tweaks the behavior for discogs - its making use of the discogs organisational structure to reduce the number of results but for some of the newer releases they arent all organised that way, so in those cases its returning all individual releases  (but there should only be a few matches at most). It also has handling for when the artist name in discogs is appended with a number
http://www.mediafire.com/?7dgx727dzou30xx

VX

I found a minor bug:
Album Auto-Tagger can't sometimes match the correct track with MusicBrainz too.
I don't know if it matters, but the time of my track is 3:09, not 3:21 as it should be.

Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:57:37 PM by VX

Steven

• Administrator
thats very odd. What is the same of the album so i can try myself

VX

thats very odd. What is the same of the album so i can try myself

I don't know what is the same or I don't get the question. I have only one track from the album. The track is a bit shorter than the original one as I accidentally cut the end off. All the tags are correct. The problem is that Album Auto Tagger fails to match the track: the first track on the Album is selected instead of the correct one.

I can confirm the bug with other tracks and albums, even if MusicBrainz service is used.

I hope it helps, just let me know if You need more feedback  :)

Steven

• Administrator
oops i made a typo - i would like to know the name of album eg. 'the best of diana vickers'

Steven

• Administrator
its working ok for me. If you dont mind could you load the file somewhere and PM me the link

VX

Just checked the file once again with the latest MB version (1.2.4422). The bug exists with FreeDB and Discogs only, MusicBrainz recognizes the track properly.

PM sent. Thanks for inspecting the issue  :)

VX

please try this one:
http://www.mediafire.com/?bu4mda9ebbb5nu5

This version is much better. I've tested Album Auto-Tagger with a few of tracks with missing tags and I was not able to reproduce the wrong behaviour described above. Thanks for fixing the bug  :)

However, I've found another minor bug:
when the title of the track is not exactly the same as the original and album Auto-Tagger finds the correct metadata based on the Artist and Album Name tags, the FIRST track on the Album is chosen with Auto Tagger.
It's impossible to manually change the results and save the track with the correct title, because when the first track (automatically chosen) is unticked no other track can be chosen manually on the album.

I'll PM a link to the track to check it out. To reproduce the bug You'll need to select the album that contains the track with a tittle that begins with 'I Wanna' (try the last one from FreeDB, because there are few instances of the album on MusicBrainz that contain this track with a title that begins with 'Wanna' - You won't reproduce the bug with these) and then try to manually choose the track from the list.

Please, let me know if there is another way I could help to fix the bug  :)

VX

I just wanted to test the new feature and it seems I've found another bug with Discogs and MB matching algorithm. It seems this time it is not a minor bug, but I hope you'll be able to fix it.

The problem is Album Auto-Tagger is not able to find ANY metadata (not a single album !!!), whereas I could find 19 different Albums (!) for the track using Discogs with the latest TagScanner and even more with MP3Tag 2.48c, but the Discogs results from MP3Tag were mostly inaccurate.

A. Steps to reproduce the bug with the latest MusicBee 1.2.4124:

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Tags (2)/ auto -tagging/ tags and DISABLE all tag providers except for Discogs, then Save the settings;
2. Use Auto-Tag by Album to find the metadata for the track I'll PM you soon;
3. Result: No matches found;

B. Compare the TagScanner results for the track:

4. Go to:  http://www.xdlab.ru/en/    - and download the latest version of TagScanner (freeware). I was using TagScanner 5.1.597 (04/14/2011) with updated Discogs support;
5. Install and run TagScanner (or unpack the portable version and run Tagscan.exe);
6. While TagScanner is running drag & drop the track onto the opened TagScanner window;
7. Switch the view to TAG PROCESSOR tab (on the top) and select the track;
8. Select Discogs (All) from the service providers on the right and specify the search criteria for the track: use Artist Name and Title from the expandable list below, when done press the 'Search' button below;
9. Result: Found 19 entries in database.

I hope this bug report could help to improve Discogs support for MusicBee. If you should have any questions about the bug, feel free to ask :)

PM sent.

Steven

• Administrator
please try this one:
http://www.mediafire.com/?bu4mda9ebbb5nu5
However, I've found another minor bug:
when the title of the track is not exactly the same as the original and album Auto-Tagger finds the correct metadata based on the Artist and Album Name tags, the FIRST track on the Album is chosen with Auto Tagger.
It's impossible to manually change the results and save the track with the correct title, because when the first track (automatically chosen) is unticked no other track can be chosen manually on the album.
the title isnt exactly the same and the duration is significantly different so as you say it cant automatically make a match. But all you need to do is higlight the file you want to move and click the down arrow - in this case just move it down to track #2, and it will take the title from track #2. You can also edit the title on the left hand side if you are not happy with the title provided.
you can also drag/drop the files to re-order them