Author Topic: Request to add discogs as provider for Album Auto-Tagger  (Read 18988 times)

Lore

Hi,

Based on the topic http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=1847.0 I'm requesting to add discogs as provider for the Album Auto-Tagger.
Thanks,
Lore

donprime

I would like this feature too. I'm using mp3tag for discogs, since musicbrainz cant find most my albums. If it does it , the names of the albums are displayed wrong most of the time.

jaycen

i too would like to be able to use discogs, i'm finding more and more that discogs not only has the correct information for my music, but also has a higher chance of having the artwork too

Steven

• Administrator
discogs is already included for artwork so you can set it in Tags(2) preferences.
its still not included for metadata but if you get 1.2.4090 from the weekly updates it has improved the auto-tagging quite a bit and also includes freedb now for album-autotagging

donprime

Freedb and Musicbrainz are ok for commercial CD albums, rock ,country,hip hop.
Absolutely horrible for Electronic music. The reason why most want Discogs added is because of vinyl. I recorded over 200 of my electronic 12" Vinyl albums from the 90's. Discogs is the only site that has correct info for vinyl no matter what genre. Please think about adding it.

Nixander

+1

i totally agree with donprime.... for electronic music, especially for "not-commercial" stuff, discogs is only side that provides sufficient information

pleaseeeeee implement :)

VX

I tried Discogs service with a different application for some of the tracks that MB was not able to find the correct metadata.
I must admit that I've updated the tags successfully for quite a few tracks with Discogs service  :) Note that I had removed some tags (Album for example) from the tracks before successful update, but Music Bee was not able to find the correct metadata even after the tags were removed.

MusicBrainz + FreeDB retrieves tags successfully in most cases for me. However, Discogs would be great fall-back service for some Artists and Albums  :)

VX

Steven, what is Your opinion about adding Discogs as a fall-back service to retrieve metadata with Auto-Tagger  ???

I'm not sure it would make a big difference with the current services. Do you still can't update tags with MusicBrainz + FreeDB whereas can achieve better results for the tracks with Discogs and if so, could you give some examples of Artist/Albums/Genres  ???

VX

Steven, what is Your opinion about adding Discogs as a fall-back service to retrieve metadata with Auto-Tagger  ???

I'm not sure it would make a big difference with the current services. Do you still can't update tags with MusicBrainz + FreeDB whereas can achieve better results for the tracks with Discogs and if so, could you give some examples of Artist/Albums/Genres  ???

Just checked it out by myself (using MP3Tag and TagScanner)  and it seems that there are some Albums at Discogs that are not available at MusicBrainz and FreeDB. For example, some popular Polish contemporary Artists are missing or there are less Albums available with MusicBrainz and FreeDB than when Discogs is used.

Steven

• Administrator
discogs is now included:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ms18m3c0b3mad35

it can return a lot of results so i might adjust the behavior thats its only used if the providers with higher priority return no result

Lore

Hi Steven,

I will test it this evening, however I want to thank you once again for your great work, I've never found a developer of a free program that listens to his users like you :)
Regards,
Lore

Steven

• Administrator
i'm going to tweak how Discogs is handled as its returning a huge number of results for older artists. Let me know if anyone does not agree but this is what i will do:
- not retrieve the publisher (often the same album is released by different publishers in different countries)
- only return the oldest release (where its the same set of album tracks/ durations)

Lore

Steven,

I'm not sure about excluding the publisher, it's true that the same album is released by different publishers in different countries but often they've different track lists in terms of order and/or tracks (e.g. extra tracks, replaced tracks etc.).
I agree about the oldest release, so that e.g. album reissues will be excluded (personally, I like to tag albums with the original issue year and not the reissue year).
Regards,
Lore