Author Topic: MusicBee reported as virus/trojan  (Read 44658 times)

BRAINS

I just want to clarify...  I know MusicBee is not a virus and never thought that.  Avast has always been rock solid and has never done this before with any file, so I figured it was some change they did to the program.

hiccup

I stickied this topic, since it has come up so often.  Should I move it to bugs?  Sometimes it's reported there.

Sticky is good.
Let's leave it here, since it was indeed an honest question raised by BRAINS.

Hopefully this posting will function as some honey pot for bees unaware of this (mal)function of Avast.

Avast says musicbee virus no avast wrong alert musicbee not a virus bass not a virus no malware in musicbee good avast bad disable deepscan disable deepscreen for musicbee problem solved please report to Avast do not report at musicbee forum
Never download MusicBee from other websites!

AvikB

Here is the virustotal result of the latest MusicBee patch (MusicBee_Setup_3_1_6266.exe):
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/a944aee2c36b26217ff4ec14b223b20e9510fd7be263ef82a516f3679ecb41bd/analysis/1488213898/

I think it is pretty clear only 4 vendors detected it. I have also used bitdefender(the free edition, which shares the same engine as the paid one), here is the result:

ost

The same now started with Kaspersky since November, 19. Instantly delete MusicBee.exe (3.1.6529) - shows that exe include Trojan.MSIL.Miner.vuh and Trojan.MSIL.Miner.sb.
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/57e68000ebfc071b06ff2101189e9cdb0ab22f315d50b2322366ba9ff7d148c0/analysis/1511084542/
Including program folder and exe to excluding list didn't help at all.
Sent a request to support  :(
Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:45:04 AM by ost

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
The strange thing is, you extract the .exe from the zip, and upload that separately to virustotal and there is no problem with it.

@ Steven
I also ran the latest patch zip (containing MusicBee.exe 3.1.6529.34678) through virustotal and got the same results as ost.
For comparison, I also ran the last MusicBeeTestCustomImage.zip as well.  It isn't flagged with any problems at all.
Could the original zip container have been made by older software and that's what giving the false positive?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

ost

Got an answer from Kaspersky Support:

"Dear user, I apologize for the long processing time of your request.
It was an erroneous operation. It will be fixed. Thank you for your help."

Steven

• Administrator

hiccup

I noticed that the new basswasapi.dll also got flagged at VirusTotal.
So it's not just musicbee.exe

icepick

I just want to point out that this issue is not exclusive to Avast. AVG is known to go after media players from time to time as well. Go figure. Never wrote any AV code myself, so I can't address it.

phred

• Global Moderator
Never wrote any AV code myself, so I can't address it.
You don't need to  know any code in order to white-list the entire directory in which MB lives. Problem solved.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Terry Walker

I just want to let you know Avast is recognizing MusicBee beta as a virus. I downloaded the beta version from a link Steven himself sent me in my last thread.  Upon extraction to program files, Avast automatically scanned for suspicious files but found nothing.  Now today, I click my MusicBee shortcut and Avast "Cybercapture" opens and puts MusicBee.exe in quarantine even though I said trust this file.  Avast has always been my go to anti-virus because it's been pretty good at detecting real viruses, so this is strange...

You can directly report the problem to avast for evaluation and you can uninstall avast first and reinstall if there is already feedback from them. Stay safe...

Daiman2020

Delete Avast. It is not even rating good among other compatitors. 😂

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Why anyone would be still using Avast/AVG products after the Jumpshot scandal is really beyond belief  :o
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Wilfried

Not only Avast, while I was able to install MusicBee 3.3.7491 without any problems, Norton 360 reports all beta versions to be infected with Heur.ADVMLB.