Author Topic: New to Music Bee  (Read 1973 times)

jasongnome

Hi, I'm new to Music Bee, I found it looking for an alternative to the terrible Windows Media Player that I've just been using as the path of least resistance, however, it's constant munging of file tags and refusal to allow things the way I want them (mainly by redownloading wrong information and replacing my edits with it even though I've unchecked every box to do with downloading info the Internet).

So far I've played around with MusicBee using my old lobrary and I like what I see. I'm currently manually repairing all the tags on my music using mp3tag (a long job, there's about 8000 files), once that's done I'm getting rid of WMP altogether and using the corrected files with Music Bee. I have a few questions, apologies if some of these seem obvious to people who haven't recently used the piece of crap that is WMP. I'm 99% certain MusicBee is for me, but I just want to check a few points, I am a bit anal about my music!

1) If I edit fields in Music Bee, odes it edit the tag on the original file? (I hope it does).
2) Cover artwork. WMP doesn't bother to embed it in the file (OK, sometimes it does, seemingly at random) but instead creates irritating hidden jpg files all over the place. Am I correct in assuming that Music Bee uses the one embedded in the file?
3) For historical reasons (that I;m in the process of correcting) my music is a mixture of mpg, wma and wav files. the latest Mp3Tag can tag all of these, does MusicBee recognise tags in all of these (I know some players struggle with tags in wav files)?
4) I have a lot of compilations, WMP only recognises a date for a whole album, how will MusicBee cope if individual tracks on a compilation have different values entered on the Year tag?
5) I notice that version 3.0 is out. The version I've downloaded is 2.5. Would I be better off upgrading to 3.0 before I set up the libraries etc?

Just for feedback purposes one of the things that strongly attracts me to MusicBee is the Inbox feature. I emigrated a few years back and my record collection is currently in transit as I've finally decided to ship it. I will be digitising an extensive amount of music (from vinyl, cassette, VHS and CD) and I get the feeling being able to inbox things as I go will be incredibly useful.

I also like the look of these forums and look forward to becoming an active member of the community.
Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 01:05:19 PM by jasongnome

hiccup

Welcome to the hive jasongnome

1) If I edit fields in Music Bee, odes it edit the tag on the original file? (I hope it does).

You can choose either to write tags to the music files, or to MusicBee's database. (Preferences> Tags (1) )

2) Cover artwork. WMP doesn't bother to embed it in the file (OK, sometimes it does, seemingly at random) but instead creates irritating hidden jpg files all over the place. Am I correct in assuming that Music Bee uses the one embedded in the file?

Same answer as above. Windows annoying behaviour with albumart is well-known.
It tends to overwrite existing albumart named 'folder.jpg'.  You could choose to use 'cover.jpg' instead, so to prevent those being overwritten.

3) For historical reasons (that I;m in the process of correcting) my music is a mixture of mpg, wma and wav files. the latest Mp3Tag can tag all of these, does MusicBee recognise tags in all of these (I know some players struggle with tags in wav files)?

If tagging is important to you (as it is for most MusicBee users), it would be wise to convert your wav files to flac.
Wav has no commonly agreed standard for tagging, and even though the developer of MusicBee (Steven) has put quite some work to accomodate wav tagging too, using wav is like accidents waiting to happen. (tagging-wise)

4) I have a lot of compilations, WMP only recognises a date for a whole album, how will MusicBee cope if individual tracks on a compilation have different values entered on the Year tag?

You can define yourself what you want to be considered to be an album. ( Preferences> Sorting/Grouping )

5) I notice that version 3.0 is out. The version I've downloaded is 2.5. Would I be better off upgrading to 3.0 before I set up the libraries etc?

It should make no difference in respect to your library.
But I would suggest to use v3 from now on. While it has not yet been officially released, it is considered near finalized, and is very solid and safe to use as your main player/manager.
Also it has a lot of bug-fixes that are not in v2.x releases.

Enjoy your stay ;-)

Pingaware

On the subject of folder.jpg files, they can cause a lot of problems if left untended, so I've dug up an old post of mine with a useful link in it.

Doing this in MB is literally just a case of selecting all files, then (assuming the artwork correctly shows as 'No artwork' as they all differ) tick the box by artwork and MB should clear all of them. Getting rid of non-linked images in folders can be more problematic as WMP has a nasty habit of creating poor quality artwork if you accidentally open it up unless you explicitly tell it not to. Steps for getting rid of those are here.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yes welcome!  Just to supplement hiccup's advice:

You can choose either to write tags to the music files, or to MusicBee's database. (Preferences> Tags (1) )

This specifically applies to custom tags.  Most standard tags are written to the file automatically.

Same answer as above. Windows annoying behaviour with albumart is well-known.
It tends to overwrite existing albumart named 'folder.jpg'.  You could choose to use 'cover.jpg' instead, so to prevent those being overwritten.

Look in tags (1) preferences to set up artwork storage and retrieval options. You can have artwork embedded, saved to a custom filename, or both.  Just be sure you set the retrieval rules to match.

You can define yourself what you want to be considered to be an album. ( Preferences> Sorting/Grouping )

You can also create a custom tag to store extra date information, if you'd like to have both.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

jasongnome

That's everybody that's incredibly helpful.

I think I'll leave the standard tag as the album release date then and create a custom tag for track release date.

I like how customisable this is.

Thanks for the link regarding images as well. One of the jobs I'm doing in mp3tag atm is embedding all the images. I think I'll just lose the jpegs once I've done that.