Author Topic: OS X iTunes to BOOTCAMP Windows MusicBee  (Read 1572 times)

tris

Hi there, I'm new here.

I own a MacBook Pro Retina and I use BOOTCAMP to run Windows10 natively for music production, and then use OS X for everything else. I have 70GB worth of music neatly organized on my OS X hard-drive that I'd like to access on my Windows side.

My main problem is when I try to access the folder via MusicBee, MacintoshHD shows up, but there's no dropdown menu for me to access my music folder on there. Is this a glitch, or is that on purpose?

Ideally I would like to:

- Keep music stored on OS X hard-drive.
- Have the music folder on my OS X hard-drive synced to MusicBee on Windows.
- Have MusicBee auto-scan the folder on startup for any updates I make with music from my OS X side.

Is this all possible? Thanks, let me know!

theta_wave

I have 70GB worth of music neatly organized on my OS X hard-drive that I'd like to access on my Windows side.

My main problem is when I try to access the folder via MusicBee, MacintoshHD shows up, but there's no dropdown menu for me to access my music folder on there. Is this a glitch, or is that on purpose?
Hello,
Welcome.  Unfortunately, your MacOS HD is likely formatted to HFS+, Apple's proprietary file system.  AFAIK, Windows, natively, can only read NTFS, FAT and FAT32 filesystems.  There might be third party software/drivers that may allow Windows to read contents of Mac formatted drives.  I'm a little surprised that your MacHD shows up in Windows in the first place.  It must be a bootcamp feature and, after a little googling, it is: http://www.markc.me.uk/blog/files/HFSOnWindows.html

I never tried what you are doing, so I can't vouch for the tips contained in the above link.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Ideally I would like to:

- Keep music stored on OS X hard-drive.
- Have the music folder on my OS X hard-drive synced to MusicBee on Windows.
- Have MusicBee auto-scan the folder on startup for any updates I make with music from my OS X side.

Is this all possible? Thanks, let me know!
As ssri has pointed out, BOOTCAMP's limitation is that it has read-only access to the drive.
http://www.howtogeek.com/189250/how-to-share-files-between-mac-os-x-and-windows-with-boot-camp/ has a range of suggestions for overcoming this.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together