Author Topic: Is it possible to suppress playing of "buffer snippets" when browsing tracks?  (Read 4936 times)

peewee678

When I double click on a different track, just before that track starts playing I hear a snippet of the previous track (from the buffer I presume) which is quite annoying (no offence, just saying :-). Is it possible to suppress this one way or another myself? (I guess not...).

@Steven: If not, is it possible for you to incorporate this in the software? (if so, I will place this question on the wishlist). Thanks.

hiccup

When I double click on a different track, just before that track starts playing I hear a snippet of the previous track (from the buffer I presume) which is quite annoying (no offence, just saying :-). Is it possible to suppress this one way or another myself? (I guess not...).

@Steven: If not, is it possible for you to incorporate this in the software? (if so, I will place this question on the wishlist). Thanks.

I have been experiencing the same for a while.
I didn't mention it before since I am not completely confident about my usb soundcard drivers either.
I am using asio, and when I skip to a next track, I also get a brief distorted/noise burst before the next song plays.
(buffer set to 15 sec.)

peewee678

P.S. I'm not using ASIO like hiccup does but Direct Sound and an external DAC (default buffer time).

hiccup

@hiccup, did you experience this with v2.5?

Certainly not on this scale. I only remember often having some very short clicks/pops when switching a song in the past.

On my current system this only happens when asio is selected. Other settings (buffer size, fade, etc.) don't seem to make any difference.
The 'snippet' is not a pop/click, but indeed some very brief sound garbage.
I just now installed a clean 2.5 to compare, and with the same settings it does not happen there.

b.t.w.:
It also happens when I play a song, then stop it, and after a few seconds start that same song again.

Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:08:22 AM by hiccup

peewee678

b.t.w.:
It also happens when I play a song, then stop it, and after a few seconds start that same song again.
Same for me.
Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:04:07 AM by peewee678

Steven

• Administrator
not sure what to make of this as the underlying player interface hasn't been changed from v2.5 other than allowing a larger file buffer which is related to output.
Its also not something I have detected on my system in any output mode (DirectSound/ ASIO etc)
I will do a code review in case something was accidentally changed but I would like a bit more assurance that this issue is new to v3 eg. have others noticed this as well (as compared to v2.5)

peewee678

Hi Steven,

I always had this problem with MB starting with a v2.5xxxx version.. Just tested 2.5.5721 to be sure and indeed: same snippets.
Also when connecting to my HDMI out > Television (NVIDIA HD Audio) instead of my usual DAC.

All with DirectSound (and hiccup uses ASIO).

hiccup

I will do a code review in case something was accidentally changed but I would like a bit more assurance that this issue is new to v3 eg. have others noticed this as well (as compared to v2.5)

No problem, I can use wasapi without a problem.
Just to be certain, and for possible later reference since also with peewee678's system it is different:
With 2.5.5804 there is no setting where I can replicate these snippets.
With 3.0.5958 only with asio I can replicate them every time. No matter what buffer settings I choose.
Wasapi and direct sound are fine with every possible buffer and fading settings I choose.

Steven

• Administrator
actually I recall a change was made so the ASIO output was released when stopping, which skipping does. So for ASIO that will probably be the reason

peewee678

actually I recall a change was made so the ASIO output was released when stopping, which skipping does. So for ASIO that will probably be the reason
But pausing does NOT release the output and I also have this problem when changing track from a paused track...

hiccup

That change only relates to using asio.
But you said you have this issue only with directsound?

peewee678

I think I misunderstood it in that case ( I thought Steven was referring to "release" of the output independent of the driver, I know he mentions ASIO but I thought he concluded it was all about releasing).

Anyway, to answer your question: no, not only Direct Sound, also with WASAPI (both External DAC).
Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:56:10 PM by peewee678

Steven

• Administrator
for ASIO only, there was a change made around releasing a device when stopped, and that has created an inconsistency with older versions for the play next action. I dont hear any difference on my set up but i have changed the code so it should behave consistently on play next.
As to the OP, i wont be able to help with that.

edit:
b.t.w.:
this would still happen as the point of the original change was to release the ASIO device so other applications can access it
Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:11:56 PM by Steven