Author Topic: HELP!! My inbox keeps re-adding songs I already have in library.  (Read 4056 times)

petersona95

Hi, I just downloaded the program and don't understand why files keep getting re-added to my inbox after I've moved them to a playlist. I continuously add music to my "C:\Users\Name\Music" directory, as well as "C:\Users\Name\Rock_Music." I set up MB to scan "Rock_Music" on startup for new music, and then add these files to my inbox. However, MB instead adds ALL the files in the directory every time, instead of just the newly added songs. How can I fix this? I have added all these files (except for the new ones of course) to my MB library already, so I don't see why they would do this.

Some background: My "music" directory holds EVERYTHING from my last restore point. Essentially, when I am about to restore my computer, I take all of the files from "Rock_Music" and place them into "Music." Because of this, I have duplicates. When I originally set up MusicBee, I first imported "Music" to my library, then imported "Rock_Music" to my inbox. From here, I moved all of the Rock music to a playlist called "Rock_Music." My theory is that MusicBee still believes I need to add these files to my library, so it keeps re-adding them to my inbox (even though they are already in my library). Is there any way I can completely delete everything from my inbox, and prevent it from re-adding music I already have in my library?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

First, have you read these?
http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#What_is_the_Inbox.3F
http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Importing

Adding files to a playlist does not add them to your library.  It sounds like your library contains the files from your Music directory, but Rock_Music is a different directory, so to MusicBee they are different (it doesn't identify duplicates unless you ask it to).  If you have turned on "mark duplicates and send to inbox", all files that MB recognizes as duplicates (generally based on Artist/Title) will be kicked back to the inbox even if you try to move them to the library.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

petersona95

Hi! Thank you for your quick response. I did not know this, and ended up fixing the problem by adding a new directory in \Rock_Music called Rock_Music\New. I then set musicBee to look for new songs in here. It's a temporary fix, but when I go to restore my computer again, I'll go into \Music and delete all the duplicates. Thanks for your help!

theta_wave

If one manually moves/rename files already included in Musicbee's library (cutting and pasting in file explorer), then those files are viewed as "new" files.  In my experience, one of the exceptions to this rule includes minor filename changes in monitored directories (e.g. X:\Album X\01 - foo.mp3 > X:\Album X\01. foo.mp3).

dakreepy1

Hi, not sure if i should start a new thread but I am having a similar problem.  Just started using MB to sort my huge collection of ~55,000 songs.  I added all my folders and had all my tracks added to the inbox so that I can sort them out.  While sorting i delete or add tracks to my library, sometimes after doing this, tracks that I have previously deleted or added reappear in the inbox.  If i try to play ones that i have previously deleted i get an error that the file doesnt exist, so MB is actually deleting the tracks. 

It's pretty annoying since it doesnt happen on every delete/add but when it does sometimes multiple tracks reappear and I would have to figure out which ones i've deleted and which i added.  Usually if i readd or delete a few times again it stays gone from the inbox.  Sometimes the same song will reappear multiple times.  I tried just doing a subset of the inbox, like a badly named genre at the top of the list that contains 5 tracks.  After i sort/delete all of the tracks and move on to the next genre sometimes i will see the previously deleted genre come back and i'd have to go delete/readd again.

I don't have the send dupes to inbox feature added and i don't currently have any monitored folders so i'm not sure what to do. 

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

It sounds like there may be some interference/delay between commands from MB and actual actions on the files.  Something like: MB removes from library and attempts to delete file > delay in deleting file causes a hiccup > file is finally deleted from disk but is now a dead link in the inbox.  Does that match what you're seeing?  If so, I strongly suspect an anti-virus program is at fault, or if not that, then something about your storage setup.  Although I would definitely expect a monitored folder to be part of the problem.  Without that, I'm not sure why things would appear in the inbox.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

dakreepy1

Hi. Thanks for the reply. When I get home I'll have to test with my anti virus disabled. I'm running eset smart security and I know it checks everything. Storage wise it's being run on a raid 6 array with 8x Samsung 1tb ssd :)
The process you listed is similar but I also have items reappear that were simply added to my library. After readding a few times it does not reappear.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Just an afterthought... The other thing I know of that can cause issues like this is if you take actions on the correctly playing file.  If it's still loaded in the player, even if it is paused, it is effectively locked and nothing can be done to the file until MusicBee releases it.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

dakreepy1

so I tried it without my antivirus monitoring and it did happen again, both for deleted songs and for songs added to the library.  So far i'm trying playing the next track before doing any action such as delete or add to library and it seems ok..  I was actually doing this at one point and i think that it did happen on a few occaisions, but that could have been before i disabled crossfade and some other player options when I was attempting to troubleshoot. 

Hopefully the workaround of playing the next track works long term.  It's slightly less annoying this way but, there is a small risk of of me performing the desired action on the current song if i forget to highlight the previous one.  Either way thanks for your suggestions, hopefully at some point it will get sorted out but for now i'm good.  54,389 songs left so sort .......  this collection was started back in 97 so its a total mess.

dakreepy1

Just an update, i think what's causing the issue was having repeat on.  I just disabled repeating along with adding all the songs to the playlist on double click and so far i've added to library and deleted about 20 songs without any of them showing back up.  Before it was fairly consistent.  Perhaps this can give a clue as to what's going on behind the scenes.

dakreepy1

perhaps i spoke too soon, it did happen again when taking action on the currently playing file.  so far it seems like it was the files that were added to library showed up again.  Its few and far between now so disabling repeat did definitely help.