Author Topic: Issue with Musicbrainz Picard Tags - Original Year [RESOLVED]  (Read 4851 times)

bebopststop20

Hello,

I seem to be unable to sort my music library by the Original Year tag despite several attempts trying to kludge something together in Virtual/Custom tags. Could someone please show me how to add a column that would allow me to sort my music library with either of the following criteria? I love this program but in Foobar2k it's as simple as adding %originalyear%

I know the data is there as I can view it in both Musicbee, Mp3tag, and Musicbrainz Picard. I can also get the data visible in Foobar2k. I've tried in both Musicbee 2.5 and 3.0RC2 with no success.

Thank you so much.
Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:35:35 PM by bebopststop20

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Have you configured original year as a custom tag? It's already available in the list of custom tags in tags (1), you just have to assign it.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

Apologies if I am jumping in without correct information and understanding, but I seem to remember that very recently there has been made a change in how MusicBee is using that tag.
Make sure you are using the most recent MB version, and rescan your whole library to be sure all tags are read and imported again.

(and please someone correct me if I am mixing up something related)

bebopststop20

Thank you both for your quick replies. I am currently using the latest release candidate of Musicbee (RC2)

I attempted to use the custom tag field before in a multitude of ways so I just followed your instructions as directly as possible and did not get the desired result.

This is the only album in my library currently as I am just testing to migrate my library to MusicBee.

Any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure I'm missing something painfully obvious.
Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:13:53 PM by bebopststop20

theta_wave

You have to define a custom tag (see "define tag" button on lower right hand corner in your last pic.  Use the tag info from tag inspector.  Now, go back to the tag menu, name the custom tag (original date) and have it point to the defined tag you just generated instead of "save to MB's database".

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Custom_Tags

bebopststop20

Thank you so much! That solved it entirely.

I didn't realize what the top section of that screen was for as the virtual tags are featured so much more prominently. Also the "save to music file as tag" language is slightly confusing, especially as I'm accessing my music from a read-only resource.
Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:39:02 PM by bebopststop20

theta_wave

I didn't realize what the top section of that screen was for as the virtual tags are featured so much more prominently. Also the "save to music file as tag" language is slightly confusing, especially as I'm accessing my music from a read-only resource.
Well, virtualtags are the bee's knees (example: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=11990.0) making it easy to slice and dice tags in whatever manner the user desires.

I agree that "save to music file as tag" is confusing.  It should be written as "read from/write to the tag".  That is what tripped me up when I first tried Musicbee years ago.  Since I was already invested in Mediamonkey, I didn't give the older version of Musicbee a fair tryout.  When I came across that custom tag dialog, it didn't appear to me then that it could read Mediamonkey custom tag fields.  After being frustrated with Mediamonkey's bloat and inability to sync a usb-inserted microsd card for my phone reliably, I decided to give Musicbee another shot and lo and behold Musicbee's custom tag implementation was exactly what I was looking for years ago.  Go figure...