Author Topic: Synchronizing two folders.  (Read 1743 times)

lokidog

I want to synch my files from one folder to another, but I keep getting errors.  The wiki is no help - it assumes way too much knowledge.  How do I do this.  I want to make sure the Original folder has all the info that is in the other folder (on a device - but it's a hard drive and I want to keep the folder structure).  I also want to see if there are any files on the device (in this folder) that are not in my Original folder (unlikely but you never know).  How?

lokidog

There seems to be a part of 'Help' missing.  I can't see anywhere where is says how to start using this application.  It goes right into using it without really telling you the basics. You need a "get started" part.  I am trying to do a task but it's obvious I'm missing something. When I try synching - it's trying to make folders, subfolders, etc. and I have no idea why.  The settings are not obvious.  Missing is what is the program trying to do - I am assuming looking at the files in one folder and seeing if they are the same in the 'virtual' folder.  This is not what is happening, or if it is, it's far from obvious.
Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:53:48 PM by lokidog

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you're using device synchronization, have you tried using the "preserve folders and filenames" setting?

I assume you've read this page: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Sync
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

lokidog

Yes, I've done that.  However I got an error the first time - it said the virtual folder was gone.  The next time I started synchronization and it started creating a new folder and copying files into it - as a sub-folder in the 'virtual' folder. I changed nothing -  the settings were already preserive file structure, etc.! I think I've come to realize that this application  is not what I need.  It is organizing the music according to it's own logic.  I want it to conform to mine.  I think if I used this program I would need to completely reorganize my music library, and then synch to my device.  Perhaps that's what I will need to do eventually.  But not right now.  What I've looked into is a file comparison application.  This shows me all the differences in the files, which is actually what I wanted, so I can decide what I need to do.  Maybe MusicBee can do this - but that was not it's intended purpose (it was suggested as the app I need from someone else). Once this is done, then maybe I'll start using MusicBee to play my music, and organize it once I start playing it (it may become obvious then what I need to do).  But my need right now it only to make the music on my device the same as that on my computer (and vice versa).

Still - I do think you need a basic - 'how to start the program' page.  A lot of the terms are foreign and I don't really know what exactly the program is supposed to do.  I see many many programs out there like this.  This one is at least described as a music manager and player.  But it then goes right into what I consider intermediate topics.  Imagine someone with lots of music files on their computer.  They get the app.  Now what.  They've only played them in a 'player' and maybe made playlists. Me for instance.  I really only play my music on my device - an it has all the play feature built in.  Where would I start...  Maybe it's in the Wiki somewhere, but I could not find it.  I might not know what the topic would be called?  But something like this with keywords like beginners, start guide, where to get started, etc. would help.  Also someone should write a description of the program and what it does - One page - with the audience being people who know only that music can be 'on computers'.  I think it's gotten so advanced that this essential part has been left in the dust.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The wiki is maintained entirely by volunteers.  You're welcome to contribute if you see something missing!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)