Author Topic: Set Displayed Column  (Read 4884 times)

icrhodes1

I am new to MB and have previously used MM, I am trying to set column display to be able to filer on title, the same way as I do in MM. The reason being I have many of the same songs by different artists and want to choose my preference. Title does not seem to be an option with right clicking and set displayed columns. I am just missing it or is it not an option or is there a work round?

TIA

Alumni

The title column should be there by default, or otherwise it would appear under set displayed fields.
If you still can't find it, a screenshot might help us understand what layout you're using.

icrhodes1

The title column is there in the listing, it is the set column displayed at the top were you have up to six options that allow filtering - i.e. I want to filter on titles. Not sure how to submit a screen shot in this forum pasting does not appear to work or I am using the wrong method. I am using the windows classic skin

TIA

phred

• Global Moderator
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

The title column is there in the listing

Do you mean you have an entry for 'title' in the 'Set Displayed Columns' settings panel for the column browser?
That would surprise me. I am pretty sure it is not available there.

If you want 'title' to be available in the column browser, you could create a virtual tag for it, and select that one to display in the column browser.

icrhodes1

Hi

That is exactly what I was saying, In media monkey this is available and i can see a list of titles and spot where there may have been a typing or punctuation error as I see a list of songs in alphabetical order and can see titles beginning with the same words or letters, which helps if I have created duplicates. I can then select those multiple songs and choose the best conversion and edit the group of songs, which may be by different artists to standardize the title. I collect a lot of recordings from the 20/30/40/50's which in a lot of cases have been converted from discs.

I liked MB as it is faster than MM, but this facility has helped me a lot in sorting my collection. Will probably carry on doing that function in MM and use MB for other things. I have done a screen shot from MM as an example

hiccup

That is exactly what I was saying

Your posting was a bit confusing to me to be honest, you said "The title column is there in the listing,".
But I suppose you meant to say that it is not.

Anyway, I also presented you a solution for this in my reply.

icrhodes1

Hi

thanks for that I am just going to have to accept that MB is more configurable but not as intuitive as MM, which I have used for the last 6 months without referring to an help sheet.  I tried as best I could to explain from what i could see in front of me from my little knowledge of MB, sorry if it was not clear and I appreciate the time users on the forum give in helping and the amount of work the developer as put in to this program

Even things like doing what you say with virtual tags is not easy to follow from the wiki pages as I had to search virtual tags and when I got the article I had to search where preferences>tags(1) was located. when edit>preferences>Tags(1) would have taken me to it without the second search. I realize that most of the wiki pages are written by enthusiasts who like to try out and push programs to their ultimate, but my interest is getting my music collection sorted in the quickest way.

Right having said that I have now got the virtual tag showing the titles, but unlike the display in the fields it does not ignore the word "The" like the fields does, is there anything I can put in to the virtual tag that would perform like the title field.

Thank once again

hiccup

Right having said that I have now got the virtual tag showing the titles, but unlike the display in the fields it does not ignore the word "The" like the fields does, is there anything I can put in to the virtual tag that would perform like the title field.

I can understand that some people want to have 'The' ignored for band names, but I find it a bit strange to have it stripped from song titles.
I can't help you with that, so perhaps somebody else might chip in how that could be accomplished.

icrhodes1

Agree that it should be present, just that when reviewing my collection of old songs I am finding some of the same song titles have the prefix and some do not. I spent quite a time working through my collection in MM eliminating duplicates created by spelling errors and punctuation marks in different places, I then found that some had the prefix and I had to start over again, but because most were at the opposite end of the alphabet it was time consuming to jump back and forth to highlight all the titles using the control + click method.

hiccup

For that, you might try Boroda74's "additional tagging tools" plugin.
I can't give you a step-by-step tutorial, but I am pretty sure you should be able to achieve something like that with it.
Either by using some formula, or by perhaps (temporarily) copying the titles to the artist field (of which you can remove 'The' from displaying)
(And before doing that of course storing/backing-up the actual artist field in a custom tag, so you can always put it back.)

If you are going to experiment with this, be sure to try it out on some copied files first, before using it on your actual music library.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

Just use $Sort(<Title>)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

Just use $Sort(<Title>)

I must admit I have never used or looked into the 'sort' feature for anything, but I just read your article about it on the wiki.
Well done, and interesting stuff. Perhaps I will try to make use of it myself sometime soon (perhaps for classical composers)
Amazing new discoveries ;-)

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Using_Sort_Order

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks!  My first MB article...  looks like I need to update some things.  :)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)