Author Topic: Add "Quick Settings" drop-down menu  (Read 6183 times)

redwing

Though it's great having an almost boundless customizability, it's a little cumbersome having to open panel layout editor and then open panel settings again to adjust small settings every time. How about adding a drop-down menu to "Configure Layout" button (like v2.5 with a small triangle icon next to it) and show some quick settings people use most often? It could show tabs bar settings, column browser layout, AZ bar, show/hide left/right main panel, player control location, etc. Also it could display show/hide headbar setting and panel settings for the selected tab.

Steven

• Administrator
i have done some of this for v3.1 and i think its worth including in v3.0. Its not exactly what is being asked for and the reason its done the way it has been done is i think its going to be useful for people who dont realise they can click a panel header to change the configuration and change the main panel layout.
Its not 100% complete eg. i will include the hide panel header menu.

So i have done a special build for v3 with it included but i would like some feedback whether it should stay in v3 ie. if anyone thinks its a bad idea then voice your opinion.

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_0/MusicBee3_Patched.zip
Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 09:32:30 AM by Steven

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
just had a quick run through and it seems OK

my personal preference would be for 'Arrange Panels...' to be the first item
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

redwing

Thanks for implementing this!

its going to be useful for people who dont realise they can click a panel header to change the configuration and change the main panel layout.

Yes, I understand why you included main panel settings. But besides that it would be better to only include settings that are not available from the context menu of the element and only available from panel configuration pane because the main purpose of quick settings is to save the trouble of opening panel configuration pane to adjust settings.

- Player controls layout settings are already available from context menu. I'd like to have player control location settings instead: top/bottom/side/off.
- Thumbnail browser settings are available from context menu as well. Instead it could include where to show the element: off/left sidebar/left main panel/main panel.
- What's Navigator Panel setting for? To select a library? Then it's possible through left navigator.
- I think you could streamline the settings further with only useful ones. It doesn't have to be complete.

phred

• Global Moderator
my personal preference would be for 'Arrange Panels...' to be the first item
I agree that it should be the first item in the list. Not so much for me (and seasoned users) but for new users.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator

i have made some adjustments based on the feedback.
- by default the menu now shows some basic layout options to show/ hide panels, the layout for the main panel and to move the main player top/bottom
- when you hide the header bar, the full panel header menus for each top-most panel is accessible
- for v3.1, it supports hiding an individual panel header. If a panel header is hidden, the full panel header menu is included

redwing

There's a bug with player controls setting. Moved it from top to bottom, but panel configuration pane shows it still stays at top. If you restart MB, player controls are not shown though it's still at top in panel configuration pane. Also when it's moved to the bottom, please place it above the status bar.

Any chance to restore the removed menu bar and tabs bar setting? Those would be useful since it requires several clicks to adjust those settings.

Steven

• Administrator
There's a bug with player controls setting. Moved it from top to bottom, but panel configuration pane shows it still stays at top.
I cant reproduce this. If you start musicbee with the player in the top, does it move to the bottom ok?

The default for the status bar is above the player panel. I cant add any more options for v3 because of language translation

redwing

There's a bug with player controls setting. Moved it from top to bottom, but panel configuration pane shows it still stays at top.
I cant reproduce this. If you start musicbee with the player in the top, does it move to the bottom ok?

Yes, it moves. But if you restart, it doesn't show up.
PMed my settings file. You can see player controls are not shown with "bottom" in quick settings but "top" in panel configuration pane.

The default for the status bar is above the player panel. I cant add any more options for v3 because of language translation

You mean 3.0? Then please add the setting to 3.1.

Steven

• Administrator
for now, edit the settings file:
set the value for FormPlayerControlDock to 10
i know what the issue is, so dont use the menu for the player dock for now

Steven

• Administrator
this should fix the issue (you still need to apply the edit from the previous post):

also as soon as you arrange the main player above the status bar, MB should remember that when toggling the player from top to bottom

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I finally got a minute to check this out.  Looks great!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
I finally got a minute to check this out.  Looks great!
i guess its more like v2.5, so that will help some people adjust