Author Topic: BASS_ERROR_CODEC with wav file  (Read 2519 times)

mortod

I have a WAV file which MusicBee can not play, giving the error 'Unable to open file (error=BASS_ERROR_CODEC)'. The wav file originated from my voicemail system, and looking at its properties, the only difference I can see between that and a wav file which does play, is that it is 64kbps rather than 128kbps. I have searched for solutions and this error seems normally to be associated with mp3 files which I can play fine.

hiccup

Welcome to the forum mortod,

The usually known 'stereo music' wav files are 1411 kbps.
What you have here is not a 'regular' wav file, but some encoded, monophonic audio that is contained within that wav container.
The bass library probably doesn't support the specific encoding used there. Perhaps you could search if there are converters available (maybe the manufacturer of your voice machine offers them?), so you can convert it to a more regular mp3 file.

Steven

• Administrator
its probably an inconsitency in the header information - i have seen other cases which trip up the bass library
there is a more recent version of bass that should address the issue:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wxww04ra1nvl617/bass.dll

download into the folder MB is installed

mortod

No joy. I had already tried upgrading that. Guess I will have to live without using MB for those messages. Thanks for the help.

hiccup

If it's important for you to have them stored in your MusicBee library, you could try something else:
Make a portable install of e.g. foobar and see if that plays them.
If so, it can probably also convert them to mp3, or you could create a shortcut 'send to foobar' in MB, so you could play them from here.

Steven

• Administrator
if you PM me a link to a ZIP of the file, i can have a look and if required will pass it to the bass developer
Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:03:50 AM by Steven