Author Topic: Paste artwork in thumbnail browser is always disabled.  (Read 7032 times)

sleepless

I cannot figure out how to do this. How do you change the art thumbs in the thumb browser? I thought it was as simple as pasting the file there, but the option in the menu is always greyed-out/disabled. Is this even possible? Or do I have to manually place the file in the artist thums folder and rename it? I think I'm losing it!

EDIT: Ok, I figured out to paste the artwork in the main panel in artwork view. So what's the purpose of having the option in the thumb browser menu? Should it be working? Also, how then do you paste genre artwork?

And for some reason no matter how many times I paste in the thumb art for compilations, it does not display in the thumb browser. It displays in the artist view, but the thumbnail browser continues to display the unknown artist pic. Thoughts?
Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:26:38 AM by sleepless

redwing

If you have an image in the clipboard, then the command will be enabled. For genre artwork, consult the hidden features thread. For various artists image on thumb browser, it worked for v2.5. My guess is it's a bug unless it's intended for some reason.

sleepless

Well I searched and couldn't find anything in the forums other than this: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17081.msg100324#msg100324
which didn't help.
Here's a gif. Maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong:

[img=http://s7.postimg.org/5zsft61zv/gif55.gif]

redwing

Open that image with an image editor like Paint> select all> copy

sleepless

Yep that did the trick. I had tried what the above link suggested opening in windows photo viewer and copy, but it didn't work. Is it supposed to be this way? That just doesn't seem right to me. What if you're doing a large amount of them? That would be a real pain. Then again, MB is sure a real pain to transfer album art too, if you have a lot of them. I have lots of CD artwork I like to put in, some albums have 15-20 pages. Each one must be dragged in individually and the checkboxes for each adjusted.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

redwing

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What version of Windows are you on?  In Windows 10 I seem to be able to do this from Windows explorer
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

sleepless

I'm on Windows7.
So when I copy an image in windows explorer, is it not going to the "clipboard"? What exactly is the difference between copying a file using the context menu or "Control+C", and using the other method by going in MS Paint and copying there? And why is this only the case when pasting art for the thumbnail browser? I mean I can copy artwork and paste it into the tag editor with no problem. I'm confused.

sleepless

On the subject of pasting artwork, what is the function of "Paste Artwork" in the context menu of the main library. I have tried to paste artwork here and even though the option is not disabled, it doesn't seem to do anything. After pasting, I check in the editor to see if it gets entered but it never does. It would be amazing if that worked, especially for multiples of art, as that would be a much easier way to enter it all in.

Side question: Could someone tell me how to do screenshots of context menus? Descriptions are so much simpler with screenshots, but I've never figured out how to do this (menu always dissappears when taking the screenshot). I'm using picpick.

Your efforts in helping me to understand this stuff is appreciated. Thanks.

hiccup

Side question: Could someone tell me how to do screenshots of context menus? Descriptions are so much simpler with screenshots, but I've never figured out how to do this (menu always dissappears when taking the screenshot). I'm using picpick.

I am not using pick-pick, bu if you have a context menu open, and then press [Prt Scr] the whole screen is copied into the Windows clipboard.
If you then paste it in e.g. Paint, or probably any editor, you can then crop the image to the required size.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

Try sharex. It can get context menus, and the latest version is also often able to automatically the select the region you want.
Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:02:57 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

sleepless

Thanks. Turns out the Prt Sc key captures all the visible menus plus it auto opens picpick too. Perfect.
Any thoughts on the different clipboard behavior?

redwing

So when I copy an image in windows explorer, is it not going to the "clipboard"? What exactly is the difference between copying a file using the context menu or "Control+C", and using the other method by going in MS Paint and copying there?

What gets copied to clipboard depends on what app you're using when copying. Notepad will copy text, Paint copies image, and Windows Explorer copies the file itself (that's why pasting into a folder creates a duplicate).

And why is this only the case when pasting art for the thumbnail browser? I mean I can copy artwork and paste it into the tag editor with no problem.

That's probably because tag editor has an added functionality that can convert file data (not only image data) in the clipboard to an image. But with thumbnail browser, people mostly use "copy image" command from web browsers, hence no need for that functionality.

On the subject of pasting artwork, what is the function of "Paste Artwork" in the context menu of the main library. I have tried to paste artwork here and even though the option is not disabled, it doesn't seem to do anything. After pasting, I check in the editor to see if it gets entered but it never does. It would be amazing if that worked, especially for multiples of art, as that would be a much easier way to enter it all in.

What view and which panel? Be specific. If possible, add screenshots.

sleepless

Thanks for the reply. Maybe once I have all this figured out, I'll make an attempt at updating the wikia on this subject. Here's some screenshots of the menu entry I was referring to. It only appears in the menu if I have copied artwork to the clipboard (in this case a png file from explorer).

redwing

It works for any view, doesn't it? (add artwork column to tracks view) Only that album & tracks view is designed to show the picture of the first track of the album.