Author Topic: Milkdrop Visualiser Support  (Read 204966 times)

redwing

Try with Speakers instead of Primary Sound Driver. That worked for me before.

slyr114

Try with Speakers instead of Primary Sound Driver. That worked for me before.

Ya I compared the two players with the same songs and the same presets, for me, MusicBee is essentially not even working in regards to matching the beats. The preset I used was Rovastar - Cerebral Parasites (Attack Mix) and on every "beat" in Winamp the visualizer would essentially bounce or move or w/e, but on Musicbee it would just lay there doing almost nothing. I tried changing my settings to speakers but alas its still unresponsive.

redwing

How about those options ticked in sound device setting? Does unticking those make any differences?

slyr114

How about those options ticked in sound device setting? Does unticking those make any differences?

Ya when I unticked both of those top options it seems to dramatically improve. Now my only issues seems to be that when using the Load Preset menu accessed by pressing L I cannot scroll with the arrows, not a huge deal since I usually use random but its kinda weird. Thanks for helping me get it mostly working though! BTW, I am on Windows 8.1 using the latest Musicbee update along with the patched EXE that was posted. Just posting these details incase anyone else has the same issue as me.

redwing

Glad it worked! Yes, I reported the same thing to Steven, so let's wait and see what he can do about it.

slyr114

Awesome, thanks again! I hope MusicBee catches on more than it already has and gains as much popularity as Winamp! It really is the best music player on Windows at the moment.

Steven

• Administrator
this should now work better when "32 bit output" is enabled, and also in WASAPI and ASIO modes:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_4/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

as before, see the first post for instructions to install the milkdrop visualiser files

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Is there any way to access these settings with the plugin?

MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

redwing

I noticed if any of the required DirectX 9 drivers are missing, activating milkdrop pops up the following window:

Looks like it came from the old Winamp. If you click yes, it directs to a dead link.

Steven, if you could fix the link of the pop-up window, that'd be great. Otherwise, use the following link to download "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" (it's the same as the one in first post): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35

[edit] link updated.
Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:47:38 AM by redwing

Skinjob

Is there any way to access these settings with the plugin?

I finally figured this one out.  I tried about a year ago to get Milkdrop to read the milk2.ini file from MB, but could never get it to work.  Plus Milkdrop wasn't really working with WASAPI at the time so I lost interest.  But now that it's working well in 2.4 I thought I'd give it another shot.

This time I broke out Process Monitor and was able to see where it was looking for milk2.ini:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\Plugins\Plugins\milk2.ini

The double Plugins folder is not a typo, that's actually the path it's looking for.

So if you want to customize Milkdrop settings in MB:
- Install Winamp and configure Milkdrop as desired - this will create the milkdrop ini files
- Find Winamp's milkdrop ini files on your drive.  They should be in %APPDATA%\Winamp\Plugins\Milkdrop2.  Just search for milk2.ini if you can find the folder.
- Create the additional Plugins folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\Plugins
- Copy all the files from Winamp\Plugins\Milkdrop2 into the new MusicBee\Plugins\Plugins folder

At that point Milkdrop in MB will now use your custom settings.  Once you've got it setup you can just edit the ini files directly to change settings.  Or go back to Winamp to change settings through the UI and then copy the files over to MB again.

Note however that not all features are supported in MB.  A couple issues I found so far:
- Start full screen (start_fullscreen=1) doesn't work.  Use start_fullscreen=0 to start it in MB window first, then you can switch full screen.
- Showing song titles doesn't work.  This was a bummer, as it was something I really liked in Winamp.  You can enable the feature, but it always just shows "MusicBee" for the title.  No idea how Milkdrop gets this info from Winamp, so no idea if it would be hard to fix or not.

But a few nitpicks aside, it works.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
super big thanks for the info Skinjob!
have my favourite presets running for longer now.
something I really missed from Winamp

- Showing song titles doesn't work.  This was a bummer, as it was something I really liked in Winamp.  You can enable the feature, but it always just shows "MusicBee" for the title.  No idea how Milkdrop gets this info from Winamp, so no idea if it would be hard to fix or not.

I think that showing "MusicBee" might have been coded into Steven's adaptation of Milkdrop.  Now knowing the folder that the variables are stored in, might allow a change to be made so that the song titles can be made to work.

Now all that's needed is a small beat visualiser, as an option to replace the spectrum graph in the player panel, and any nostalgia for things Winamp will be history for me  :)
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Mr. Trev

Hey guys. Don't have or want winamp, so could someone upload that ini file. Possibly in the future it could be included with the plug-in?
Cheers.

Skinjob

Hey guys. Don't have or want winamp, so could someone upload that ini file. Possibly in the future it could be included with the plug-in?
Cheers.

I understand not wanting to install unneeded software, but unless you are already familiar with the settings I think it would be really hard to jump right into the ini files.  There are a huge number of settings and the names aren't always obvious.

The Milkdrop settings UI in Winamp provides a lot of explanation, plus you can change settings in the UI and see what get's modified in the ini file to figure things out.  Also, it looks like there are video adapter GUIDs in the ini that I would assume are specific to the hardware in a given machine.  Not sure what would happen if those are missing or incorrect.  Probably best to let Winamp create a valid file first.

I would suggest installing Winamp, but just deselect most of the options during the install (disable shell integration, disable cd autoplay, don't install the agent, etc.).  Then it's really unobtrusive and shouldn't cause any problems.

redwing

Thanks for the info, Skinjob!

I did some tests, and probably this would do just for configuring the Transitions tab settings in the screenshot without installing Winamp.

1. Create a sub-folder "Plugins" under your MusicBee\Plugins folder either with normal or portable installation.
2. Save the following text into "milk2.ini" using Notepad and place it under MusicBee\Plugins\Plugins folder you created above.

Code
[settings]
nMainWndTop=53
nMainWndLeft=241
nMainWndRight=1361
nMainWndBottom=840
avs_wx=64
avs_wy=64
avs_ww=256
avs_wh=256
bPresetLockOnAtStartup=0

fTimeBetweenPresets=16.000000
fTimeBetweenPresetsRand=10.000000
fBlendTimeAuto=2.700000
fBlendTimeUser=1.700000
bHardCutsDisabled=1
fHardCutLoudnessThresh=2.450000
fHardCutHalflife=60.000000

Whenever the visualization window size in MB changes, the top-half part of this file gets updated automatically. You can adjust the settings in the bottom-half, consulting the screenshot. Those values are Winamp default values. To enable hard cuts, change bHardCutsDisabled value to "0".

Skinjob

I think that showing "MusicBee" might have been coded into Steven's adaptation of Milkdrop.  Now knowing the folder that the variables are stored in, might allow a change to be made so that the song titles can be made to work.

Probably outside the scope of this forum, but I took a peak at the MilkDrop code and it looks like it's using window messages to get the current song info (title, length, current position, etc.) from Winamp.  So Steven would probably need to implement handlers for those message types in MusicBee.  Either that or modify these functions in MilkDrop to get the info some other way.  I don't know if MB already exposes that info in some other way that would be readily accessible from a C++ program or not.  Either way, I'm guessing it's not going to be real high on Steven's TODO list.  :)

If anyone is interested in the MilkDrop code, you can get it from http://www.geisswerks.com/milkdrop/.  Just search for "GetWinampSong" in support.cpp and you'll find the handful of functions involved (around lines 250-300).  If Steven didn't want to change MB and the current song info is available some other way, then it should just be a matter of changing these few functions.