Is there any way to access these settings with the plugin?
I finally figured this one out. I tried about a year ago to get Milkdrop to read the milk2.ini file from MB, but could never get it to work. Plus Milkdrop wasn't really working with WASAPI at the time so I lost interest. But now that it's working well in 2.4 I thought I'd give it another shot.
This time I broke out Process Monitor and was able to see where it was looking for milk2.ini:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\Plugins\Plugins\milk2.ini
The double Plugins folder is not a typo, that's actually the path it's looking for.
So if you want to customize Milkdrop settings in MB:
- Install Winamp and configure Milkdrop as desired - this will create the milkdrop ini files
- Find Winamp's milkdrop ini files on your drive. They should be in %APPDATA%\Winamp\Plugins\Milkdrop2. Just search for milk2.ini if you can find the folder.
- Create the additional Plugins folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\Plugins
- Copy all the files from Winamp\Plugins\Milkdrop2 into the new MusicBee\Plugins\Plugins folder
At that point Milkdrop in MB will now use your custom settings. Once you've got it setup you can just edit the ini files directly to change settings. Or go back to Winamp to change settings through the UI and then copy the files over to MB again.
Note however that not all features are supported in MB. A couple issues I found so far:
- Start full screen (start_fullscreen=1) doesn't work. Use start_fullscreen=0 to start it in MB window first, then you can switch full screen.
- Showing song titles doesn't work. This was a bummer, as it was something I really liked in Winamp. You can enable the feature, but it always just shows "MusicBee" for the title. No idea how Milkdrop gets this info from Winamp, so no idea if it would be hard to fix or not.
But a few nitpicks aside, it works.