Author Topic: Milkdrop Visualiser Support  (Read 204934 times)

redwing

Can you check if your Windows\System32 folder contains d3dx9_31.dll & d3dx9_42.dll files?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=316508

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Can you check if your Windows\System32 folder contains d3dx9_31.dll & d3dx9_42.dll files?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=316508

Yes they're both present in "C:\Windows\System32"

redwing

Can you check one more thing?
To see if those files are present in your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder too as MB is a 32-bit program.

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Can you check one more thing?
To see if those files are present in your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder too as MB is a 32-bit program.

I'll check almost anything you want if it helps!

Yes they're both present in "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" as well, d3dx9_31.dll created in 2006 and d3dx9_42.dll in 2009.

redwing

OK. Thanks for checking all those!

Then obviously sveakul's tip works for some machines if running the Web installer still can't run milkdrop properly.

Steven, maybe add the link to the post to the first post as it would help some people perhaps with newer machines.

Just FYI, I've noticed that some media players that require DirectX9 (MPC-HC, MPC-BE) get around the need to do a system install of the Microsoft redist by just inserting two files from that package into the app's folder--D3DX9_43.dll and D3DCompiler_47.dll.

Folks that use Milkdrop (I do not), could therefore try putting those same two files into MusicBee's "Plugins" folder, if they are averse to running the Microsoft redist web installer, and see if that's a solution.

As far as getting the two files mentioned, people who already have MPC-HC or MPC-BE can just copy them out of those app's folder, which I think is safer than trying to find them on a "DLL Downloads" site.

redwing

Thanks for the info, Skinjob!

I did some tests, and probably this would do just for configuring the Transitions tab settings in the screenshot without installing Winamp.

1. Create a sub-folder "Plugins" under your MusicBee\Plugins folder either with normal or portable installation.
2. Save the following text into "milk2.ini" using Notepad and place it under MusicBee\Plugins\Plugins folder you created above.

Code
[settings]
nMainWndTop=53
nMainWndLeft=241
nMainWndRight=1361
nMainWndBottom=840
avs_wx=64
avs_wy=64
avs_ww=256
avs_wh=256
bPresetLockOnAtStartup=0

fTimeBetweenPresets=16.000000
fTimeBetweenPresetsRand=10.000000
fBlendTimeAuto=2.700000
fBlendTimeUser=1.700000
bHardCutsDisabled=1
fHardCutLoudnessThresh=2.450000
fHardCutHalflife=60.000000

Whenever the visualization window size in MB changes, the top-half part of this file gets updated automatically. You can adjust the settings in the bottom-half, consulting the screenshot. Those values are Winamp default values. To enable hard cuts, change bHardCutsDisabled value to "0".

Actually I'm now using a full settings file for milkdrop obtained from a foobar version.
But I'm not going to post the content of the file as it won't be useful at all if you don't see the actual settings dialog.
I just followed the instructions here: https://appuals.com/how-to-get-milkdrop-2-visualisations-in-foobar/

And copied milk2.ini file to the aforementioned MusicBee\Plugins\Plugins folder, then it works.
If you want to change some settings, adjust it with foobar using the plugin's settings dialog, and then copy the settings file again.
There are some settings and keys that get overridden by MB, but most work.

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Actually I'm now using a full settings file for milkdrop obtained from a foobar version.
But I'm not going to post the content of the file as it won't be useful at all if you don't see the actual settings dialog.
I just followed the instructions here: https://appuals.com/how-to-get-milkdrop-2-visualisations-in-foobar/

And copied milk2.ini file to the aforementioned MusicBee\Plugins\Plugins folder, then it works.
If you want to change some settings, adjust it with foobar using the plugin's settings dialog, and then copy the settings file again.
There are some settings and keys that get overridden by MB, but most work.

[EDIT]
Thanks for the investigations, and thanks for the info and link, that's a dam good find, I'm gonna try it right now!

I'd like to re-rate some of the 500+ presets as some rated only 1 should be a 5 (and vice-versa)..
Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:09:37 PM by Freddy Barker

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P

All done and working like a dream, albeit a psychedelic dream from watching 'Rovastar-Tripmaker Space Trip Mix' while playing 'Iron Butterfly'- thanks again! @Redwing.
Freddy

sveakul

Hi Freddy--I got a little lost along this thread, haha..  Just curious as to if after all the other changes were done, you still needed to keep d3dx9_43.dll and D3DCompiler_47.dll in your MusicBee "Plugins" folder in order for Milkdrop to run properly.  In other words, did my initial suggestion actually work, or were you able to find another way to accomplish the same thing?

Just in case it helps any experimenters, I downloaded the whole DX9 "full install" package from Microsoft and extracted just the 32-bit d3dx9_43.dll from it.  I've put that in a 7-zip upload together with the D3DCompiler_47.dll from my own 32-bit Windows 7 SP1 System32 folder.  So people who want to try what I suggested previously don't need to get MPC-HC, etc. first.  The 7-zip is here:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=08684140001147137386
Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:57:56 PM by sveakul

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Hi Freddy--I got a little lost along this thread, haha..  Just curious as to if after all the other changes were done, you still needed to keep d3dx9_43.dll and D3DCompiler_47.dll in your MusicBee "Plugins" folder in order for Milkdrop to run properly.  In other words, did my initial suggestion actually work, or were you able to find another way to accomplish the same thing?

Yeah is been a busy day, I tried a few things under the guidance of @Redwing with his invaluable assistance!
I removed those two dll files from Musicbee\Plugins, and Milkdrop locked up MB.
I put them back again, all ok after a reboot once again.
I've not done the update to DirectX 9.0 runtimes, as all working fine without!
Freddy
Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:24:38 PM by Freddy Barker

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Just in case it helps any experimenters, I downloaded the whole DX9 "full install" package from Microsoft and extracted just the 32-bit d3dx9_43.dll from it.  I've put that in a 7-zip upload together with the D3DCompiler_47.dll from my own 32-bit Windows 7 SP1 System32 folder.  So people who want to try what I suggested previously don't need to get MPC-HC, etc. first.  The 7-zip is here:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=08684140001147137386

Good idea, and I think @redwing may be making a few changes to the instructions to the first post, based on today's experimentation results as well!

redwing

I already made a suggestion and it's up to Steven whether to update the instructions.
I think it could be useful for people just having a blank screen without a crash even after installing DirectX 9.
We have another report here:

I've followed the instructions for installation but when I select Milkdrop 2.2 I just get a blank screen. Any ideas?

If adding the files to the plugins folder can fix that case too, we could be more certain.

sveakul

Yeah is been a busy day, I tried a few things under the guidance of @Redwing with his invaluable assistance!
I removed those two dll files from Musicbee\Plugins, and Milkdrop locked up MB.
I put them back again, all ok after a reboot once again.
I've not done the update to DirectX 9.0 runtimes, as all working fine without!
Freddy

Ah, OK, glad to see that the suggestion really works!  It was just presented as an alternate route to doing the DX9 runtimes web install.  Cool  8)

Steven

• Administrator
So by adding:
D3DCompiler_47.dll
D3DX9_43.dll

to the MusicBee/Plugins folder as part of the milkdrop visualiser install suffices to get it running without doing the full DX9 install?

in my SysWOW64 folder, D3DCompiler_47.dll is dated 15-Sep-2018, and D3DX9_43.dll is dated 26-May-2010. Are those the same as for yourselves?

redwing

So by adding:
D3DCompiler_47.dll
D3DX9_43.dll

to the MusicBee/Plugins folder as part of the milkdrop visualiser install suffices to get it running without doing the full DX9 install?

No one has verified that, and I'm not sure it can make it work without DirectX 9 install. I think that could help some people having issues even after installing DirectX 9.