Author Topic: More than 7 lines in track information panel  (Read 4803 times)

mless

Hello,

I like to use the Track Information panel to display many properties about the selected album/track, like the composer, arranger, catalogue number, etc in addition to the usual fields. At the moment we can configure a maximum of 7 lines and I'd like to have at least a few more.

Thanks for this awesome player!

phred

• Global Moderator
I don't think this is exactly what you're looking for, but Steven made a change to the 'comment' field within the Track Info Panel which may help you.  I believe the limit is now 99 lines, or something like that.  I keep mine set to 20 and if I use less (or none) the blank lines do not appear.  http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17252.0
Note that this change was made for v3 -not- v2.5.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

theta_wave

+1

I posted a similar wishlist request: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17632.msg105036#msg105036

The solution (splitting multiple tag values into rows) didn't help me out in the end unfortunately because 1) I use the same delimiter (semicolon) to separate different composers already and 2) the album reviews I save in <COMMENTS> often make use of this delimiter.

mless

Yes I'm aware of that recent change, but if I understand correctly this affects the line wrapping. If I want different fields to appear on different lines, I can't do it by putting them in the same box in the configuration panel, unless there is a way to put line feed characters between the fields, ie: <Composer>\r\n<CatalogNumber>). But I don't think this is possible...

fabulario

Yes I'm aware of that recent change, but if I understand correctly this affects the line wrapping. If I want different fields to appear on different lines, I can't do it by putting them in the same box in the configuration panel, unless there is a way to put line feed characters between the fields, ie: <Composer>\r\n<CatalogNumber>). But I don't think this is possible...

You can create a virtualtag containing all the fields you need, separated by a semicolon.
Something like this: Virtualtag = <Composer>;<CatalogNumber>
Add this field to the panel, and if you select line wrapping, MusicBee shows each of the fields from the virtualtag on a different line.
I don't know if this works with all fields, but what I've tried (<editor>, <Artist: remixer>) works perfectly.

The solution (splitting multiple tag values into rows) didn't help me out in the end unfortunately because 1) I use the same delimiter (semicolon) to separate different composers already and 2) the album reviews I save in <COMMENTS> often make use of this delimiter.

But yes, if the fields contains a semicolon, also separates the field content.

(Sorry if I can't explain too well, but I'm spanish and my English is far from perfect)

mless

Interesting! I'll try this when I get home.
Fields with semicolons will still cause problems and a solution would be nice. But by grouping some fields that will never contain semicolons I can probably gain back a few lines to use for something else.

fabulario

Looking in the forum some way to replace the semicolon as separator in the field content, I've found this:

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=11585.msg70498#msg70498

With the $Replace function you can create a "false" field to replace the semicolon, keeping the original contents of the field.

theta_wave

@fabulario

Why waste a virtual tag when you can enter the same formula on any one of the lines?  For example, my current setup:

Field1: <Title>
Field2: <Album> (<Year>)
Field3: $If(<Artist>=<Composer>,,$If(<Artist>="+/-","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,$If(<Artist>="20/20","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,$If(<Artist>="AC/DC","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,$If(<Artist>="Ambidextrous/Morkva","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,$If(<Artist>="Broker/Dealer","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,$If(<Artist>="De/Vision","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,$If(<Artist>="etti/etta","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,$If(<Artist>="MorelenbaumĀ² / Sakamoto","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,"Artist(s):  "$Replace($Replace($Replace(<Artist>,;,", "),/,", "),"  "," "))))))))))
Field4: $IsNull(<Composer>,,"Composer(s):  "$Replace($Replace(<Composer>,;,","),/,", "))
Field5: $IsNull(<Publisher>,,$If($Or(<Publisher>="[Bandcamp]",<Publisher>="[Self-Released]"),,$IsNull(<Catalog#>,"Publisher:  "<Publisher>,"Publisher:  "<Publisher>" ("<Catalog#>")")))
Field6:
Field7: <Comment>

Now, I'm willing to meet Steven in the middle by allowing each field the option to split multi-value tags into rows instead of the current "all-or-none" approach.

fabulario

Yes, write directly on the lines without wasting a virtual tag is a smarter option.

Now, I'm willing to meet Steven in the middle by allowing each field the option to split multi-value tags into rows instead of the current "all-or-none" approach.

I'm agree, this would be a good solution.

theta_wave

Yes, write directly on the lines without wasting a virtual tag is a smarter option.

I'm agree, this would be a good solution.
Yeah, I think it would be fair.  I'd imagine having a checkbox column with a "select all" check box on top, so a user can still enjoy the current approach to this issue.  Said user can uncheck the "select all" box and select individual fields as he or she pleases.   I believe this is the most flexible approach, but I'll be happy if anyone offers any other ideas along the same lines.  I mean, how many more fields are necessary?  Answers to this question is likely to be varied amongst users here.

mless

To me the cleanest solution would be to make the list of lines dynamic (with a + button), like in some of the other configuration panels. But I know this requires more development.

theta_wave

To me the cleanest solution would be to make the list of lines dynamic (with a + button), like in some of the other configuration panels. But I know this requires more development.
+1 for this too :)