Author Topic: Why is sorting not allowed for podcasts?  (Read 2305 times)

sleepless

I've asked this before and nobody answered. I realize that podcasts aren't a priority for MB, but I just don't understand the reason for this. I mean a library is really about 2 things: storage and sorting. Also, It makes it impossible to add any podcasts to the library unless they are specifically downloaded from within MB. I lack technical knowledge about these things so if someone could please provide me with a simple explanation for this it would be much appreciated. Even if it's just "we don't care about podcasts". At the very least, the sorting and grouping options should be removed from the dropdown menu for podcasts.

Edit: I just re-read this and was worried I might be coming across like a bit of a jerk. I'm not mad at anyone at all, I just love my podcasts.  :)
Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 04:13:40 PM by sleepless

hiccup

Don't worry coming across like a jerk.
It's just that you seem to be a recent member that does not not fully understands and/or appreciates how it works here.
MusicBee has 1 developer.
In the opinion of many he is performing miracles in creating the best music player/manager there is, and being the most responsive developer you will probably ever come across.
He is doing everything he can to accommodate any sensible request or users profile. That includes syncing, sound quality, ripping, radio stations, translations, tagging, album art, podcasts, plugins, skinning, and I could go on for a long while....

So to put it friendly, your remark "I realize that podcasts aren't a priority for MB, but I just don't understand the reason for this" drew my attention.

If you have specific requests or wishes, just put them in the wishlist topic as anybody else.
Don't make judgements on what is on the mind of the developer.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I would definitely +1 a wish for sorting podcasts.

(To add to what hiccup is saying, Steven has implemented every major wish I've had, but in some cases it was a year or more after I started using MB.  So if you're patient, take time to figure out how things work now and what's really important, and don't bug him to death about every issue, there's a good chance that you will see it happen eventually.  No promises, though.)

p.s. you might be interested in this thread where he and I hashed out a few difficulties with podcasts: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17644.0

I got a new computer a few months ago, and was able to transfer most of my podcasts directly across.  It just took a few tries to get everything sorted.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

sleepless

I appreciate your responses. I guess I assumed that podcasts weren't a priority here for a couple of reasons.

1. No sorting options, which seems to me is the most basic function for any library.
2. When I first started using MB I was having a lot of problems trying to import podcasts to my library. I did make an effort to search the forum and wiki for info, but couldn't find what I needed. (My very first post on this forum was titled "How Frustrating!" lol.) I did apologize for the tone of it, which I wrote after losing half of my files (not realizing that for some reason(?), unlike music tracks, removing podcast tracks from the library results in permant deleting of the files from your disk). On my second attempt, MB renamed all my files, not intentionally, it was the default setting at the time. Many more problems followed. It seems MB works fine if you're simply downloading episodes from within MB, but I have a fairly large archive, which MB refused to organize. I found myself flustered and confused So, I decided to leave the podcast issue and focus on my music library, which is where MB really shines.

Since then, I've spent some time on the forums. I've learned that MB belongs to Steven, and I've found him and many others here to be helpful. Recently I decided to try again with the podcasts, but had even less luck than I did originally. I requested some help from Steven who, to his credit, read my post and responded. Unfortunately for me that response was: "I won't spend any more time looking at this".

I can accept that. I realize he puts a ton of work into this and he needs to concentrate his efforts where he feels they're most needed. Due to the tone of his response, I wasn't sure if these issues had already been the topic of some earlier discussion I wasn't aware of, or maybe there were some technical issues/reasons this couldn't be worked on. Thus, the reason for this post. I was just hoping to get some insight as to why podcasts, as I was feeling, weren't a priority. Only for for my understanding. It was never my intention for it to come across as a complaint, or for the purpose of arguing the issue.

psychoadept: Thanks for the link to that discussion. I was suprised to see that, as I'm always looking out for podcast discussion, but I usually just browse the general sections and not the bug reports.  I think you touched on some of the problems I'm having (basically MB won't recognise/organize my podcast files).

If anyone would be willing to help me, to whatever extent is possible with this issue, that would be awesome. If not, it's time for me to let this one go, and just enjoy the many things MB does well. (and continue to keep itunes for podcasts ...grumble ...grumble...) :)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I hope you were able to recover your deleted files!  I think the assumption is that podcasts are transitory and disposable, which obviously isn't always correct.

My suggestion would be to use Audiobooks to archive your podcasts.  As you've discovered, the Podcasts node in its current state is best for handling new episodes and episodes that are still available for download.  Audiobooks will let you organize them as you would any other files.  I use it for some podcasts I want to keep, and other episodic things like CD subscriptions and radio shows.

There hasn't been a lot of demand for enhancements to podcasts, although there have definitely been improvements lately.  (Steven's recent changes to allow more control over organization were a big help!)  And unfortunately for you, you've arrived right in the midst of the 3.0 beta, so Steven's energy is there and he is more inundated than ever with bugs, feature requests, etc.  Glad you understand.  :)
Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:18:29 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

sleepless

Good to know. I might give that a try. Maybe sometime after he's worked out all the bugs in v3, I'll once again (gently) unload the fury of my "suggestions".

hiccup