Author Topic: Anyone got 2 way synch (playcount) to work with Android phone?  (Read 6885 times)

watdub

I'd like to synch my playlists with my Android phone (Galaxy S4 with CM13/Marshmallow ROM) but also for the playcount on the phone to feed back to the larger MB database (v2.5) on my Windows 7 desktop.

Synching works fine with RocketPlayer, PlayerPro and CM's 'Music' app.   I've tried each one on their own so, hopefully, avoiding synching to a non-default/'wrong' music player.

Reading through the forums here led me to RocketPlayer in particular.  It occurred to me that *I'm* doing something wrong :P  and I could spend a long time just going around in circles looking for a solution. 

So I'm looking to see if anyone else has successfully gotten playcount/'2 way synch' working and, in particular, what app they used on their phone.  Once I know a certain combo works, I can focus on that combination...

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Yes, I do have '2 way synch' ticked in the settings :)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Steven just posted this in answer to my question: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17758.msg106312#new

Many players, including rocket player, can scrobble play count to last.fm using an app like simple last.fm scrobbler.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

watdub

quote from psychoadept's link...
2 way synching to work the device needs to support querying of rating and playcounts from the device database:
- for some ipods, MB is able to extract the rating and for those devices can synch the rating back
- for MTP devices, the MTP database does have a field for rating and for play count. However in practice i have yet to see it being used by the android players. So until that happens 2-way synch wont do anything
- and although MB is able to scrobble the difference in play count, in practice that wont do anything either

@ psychoadept:  Thanks.  Sounds like the problem is with android phones?

Don't know much about scrobble.  Are you suggesting RocketPlayer/Scrobble --> Last.fm --> <-- MB[scrobble plug-in?] is an option to keep the playcount up-to-date?

watdub

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=14671.0

It looks like Steven just posted that (my interpretation) Scrobble and Last.fm might not talk nicely to each other all the time so that might not be an option either.

Thanks again for the help :)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Last.fm isn't perfect, but it's probably your best option.  It works for me most of the time.
Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:01:08 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)

watdub

Thanks for all your help.  I'll report back in a week or two how I got on.

watdub

tl;dr: The key seems to be exporting playlists as .m3u

After a few days (non-rigourous) testing, I've found that 2 way synch does appear to work with Musicbee, Rocketplayer & scrobbling to/with Last.fm.  I'm not sure how accurate it is but, imho, it's ok for an approximate 2 way synch playcount between Musicbee and your phone.  YMMV :)

Set-up:
Desktop computer: Windows 7, Musicbee 2.5.5804
(Musicbee): Edit/Prefs/Devices --> 2 way synch enabled, and export playlists as .m3u.  All else as default settings.
(Musicbee): Edit/Prefs/Plugins --> All default (or enable 'synch playcount' if not default :P )
Phone: Galaxy S4 (i9505), CM13 custom ROM
Phone: Rocket Player & Simple Last.fm app.  All default settings.
Internet: Had to set up account with last.fm (all default settings)

Method:
1. After connecting the phone to the computer as an MTP device, I'd sync a playlist (.m3u) from Musicbee to the phone. 
2. On the phone, I'd open Rocketplayer and open the playlist of interest.  I'd play the first 3 or 4 songs repeatedly for approx 30mins so each got 3 or 4 plays.
3. After reconnecting the phone to the computer (MTP), I'd open Musicbee and it would auto-sync.  The playcount on Musicbee would increase for the songs I'd played.  I can't say that 3plays on the phone would count as *exactly* 3plays on Musicbee but it seemed close enough, most of the time.

Caveats:
1. Please note Steven's comments on 2 way synch.  All problems seem to be on Android side of the equation.
2. Haven't tried converting/exporting FLAC files, just .MP3's
3. On Rocketplayer, I only played songs from within 'playlists'.  Didn't try playing from 'artist' or 'song' lists.
4. Tried synching 4 playlists at various times.  3 playlists synched fine.  The 4th playlist only synched the first song.  Not sure why.

If I missed anything, please ask & I'll do my best to clarify.

Thanks again to psychoadept, Steven & Musicbee

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks for this feedback.  I agree, the obstacles are with the phone (and occasionally last.fm, but it has been pretty well-behaved lately).
MusicBee Wiki

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)

watdub

2 way synch seems to work with transferred .flac files converted to .mp3 on the android phone.  All settings as before.

1. I installed the lame converter as the Help file suggested (all default).
http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#How_do_I_rip.2Fconvert_to_MP3_or_AAC_files_with_MusicBee.3F

2. I picked a random selection of .flac files and put them in a playlist (.m3u).  In the conversion process, the only non-default selection I choose was the second option ("only convert files with a lossless format") in the "on-the-fly conversion" section.  I only picked this option I didn't fully understand the other options :P.

3. Files were transferred to the phone, played a few times and synched back to MB.  All seemed to go ok.  YMMV.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hmm, cool.  I'll have to test that out with my phone soon...
MusicBee Wiki

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)

watdub

The 2 way playcount synch on 'flac/ape + cue' albums doesn't seem to survive the "MB --> Rocket Player --> Last.fm --> MB" journey...

I have a very small collection of opera music.  They are all either flac+cue or ape+cue albums.  There are no individual MP3 files.

In Windows explorer, it's displayed as:
whole_album1.flac (no individual tracks)
whole_album1.cue
whole_album2.ape (no individual tracks)
whole_album2.cue

Musicbee can decipher the album and list individual tracks.  Playing the individual files within an album is scrobbled to last.fm and playcount does increase in both locations.

However, converting the 'whole_album1.flac' to mp3's and transferring to Rocketplayer does NOT transfer individual mp3 files, just the complete 'whole_album1.flac'.  And after playing the 'whole_album1.flac' on Rocketplayer, no data is scrobbled to last.fm, either as individual mp3 tracks or as whole album playcount.  Obviously then, nothing is transferred back to MB...

I'm not 'technical' so hopefully the above makes sense :)

LoveMyslf

I followed the same procedure as watdub, but the play count doesn't sync with my phone. Is there any way to sync play counts between Android and MusicBee? Is there anything as easy as iSyncr with iTunes?