Author Topic: Crossfading + Volume Normalization (AIMP)  (Read 18276 times)

HHM

WISH:
how about having a separate options for crossfading tracks:
- one for automatic crossfade when track finishes
- another for crossfade while skipping tracks

When I listen to tracks one after another, I like longer crossfade (7 or 9 sec) that gives the impression of quite smooth mix. Now in MB I can have only same lenght of crossfade for skipping tracks - but when I skip track, I want it to end quickly so 9sec crossfade is unnecessary. So another option is to have no crossfade while skipping tracks - but then the transition is too drastic, it just sounds bad.

AIMP has those options separated and with the preferences set as below I must say that skipping tracks works like a charm.

2. Another option I love in AIMP is the volume normalization. Dunno how it's done but without setting replay gain values all tracks have perfectly same loudness. Setting replay gain values for my 100k tracks library is something I can forget about thus when I listen to my music in shuffle mode the volume leaps are very frequent.
Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:41:24 PM by HHM

Coogan

There is a setting to adjust the amount of time it takes to crossfade the tracks.
It would be nice, if the track would fade in/out when you start/stop a song.

Coogan
My MusicBee Version:

AvikB

2. Another option I love in AIMP is the volume normalization. Dunno how it's made but without setting replay gain values all tracks have perfectly same loudness. Setting replay gain values for my 100k tracks library is something I can forget about thus when I listen to my music in shuffle mode the volume leaps are very frequent.

+1

hiccup

How about having a separate options for crossfading tracks:
- one for automatic crossfade when track finishes
- another for crossfade while skipping tracks

+1

Another option I love in AIMP is the volume normalization. Dunno how it's done but without setting replay gain values all tracks have perfectly same loudness. Setting replay gain values for my 100k tracks library is something I can forget about thus when I listen to my music in shuffle mode the volume leaps are very frequent.

I can imagine two ways they accomplish this.
1. Aimp analyzes the track to be played in a few microseconds before playing it. This is not realistic at this moment, since you would probably need quantum computing to do that.
2. Aimp adjusts the volume of the playing track on a continuous basis. So a song starting at a low level will be boosted at that point, but when the song gets louder, the volume is lowered. There will probably also be some kind of limiter active. So this will degrade the intended sound quality for sure.

Since Aimp is very likely using option 2, I would personally never use such a function, and wouldn't wish for it as a standard MusicBee feature.

But you could see if there maybe already exists a Winamp dsp plugin that accomplish something like this?

boroda

Since Aimp is very likely using option 2, I would personally never use such a function, and wouldn't wish for it as a standard MusicBee feature.

But you could see if there maybe already exists a Winamp dsp plugin that accomplish something like this?
also there are many sound card drivers (eg. realtek hd audio driver) that can normalize sound from ANY source in realtime.

hiccup

bump

When you have crossfade enabled, and press 'Next', the playing track abruptly stops, and the next song starts playing.
It would be good if MusicBee would respect the fact that crossfade has been activated, and fades-out the playing song also when 'Next' is pressed.

(either by default, or depending on some additional setting option)
Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 07:23:23 PM by hiccup

Zak

• Global Moderator
What you're requesting sounds like this option in the Player preferences:

Bee excellent to each other...

hiccup

What you're requesting sounds like this option in the Player preferences:
Indeed, you are right about that.
And I was wrong in describing what I was actually doing.
It is when double clicking another track that fade-out is not being performed on the playing track.
I would like it if it would, similar as when you press 'Next'.

Both pressing 'Next' and double-clicking another song could be considered 'skipping tracks', no?
Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 09:40:04 AM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
there is some inconsistency with double clicking - if its done in the playing tracks list, the crossfading setting is respected. If double clicking in the main panel so the playing tracks list resets, then there is a small fade out applied but its not using the crossfade settings so i will change that

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee36_Patched.zip
Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 07:29:16 AM by Steven