Author Topic: New questions for the wiki  (Read 23761 times)

Steven

• Administrator
40, 53, 66 for 96DPI screens and scaled up for high DPI resolution screens

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Gotcha, thanks!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Okay, I know there was somewhere you explained why sometimes the displayed track length differs from the actual track length, but I can't find it now.  Can you explain that again?  Something about the file header?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm trying to understand the interaction between Auto-Organize and Monitored Folders, and how tag changes made outside of MusicBee are applied to auto-organize.

First, can someone please give me a crash course on how auto-organize works across drives?  My understanding is this:

If you have, for instance, auto-organize settings to the effect of "Move music on C:\ to M:\Music\", then when a file is added to the library from C:\, it will be moved to M:\Music\ and the template applied.

What if M:\Music\ is a monitored folder?  What if there is another auto-organize mapping for M:\?

Regarding tag changes made outside of MB, when should I expect these to be applied?  If the file is in a monitored folder, the changes usually show up right away, but it seems like I often go in later and files need to be reorganized.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
What if M:\Music\ is a monitored folder?  What if there is another auto-organize mapping for M:\?

from my experience, when the file is moved from C:\ to M:\Music\ the first template is applied
if you also have monitoring/mapping for M:\Music\ then that is applied straight after
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

redwing

from my experience, when the file is moved from C:\ to M:\Music\ the first template is applied
if you also have monitoring/mapping for M:\Music\ then that is applied straight after

Probably only the first rule will be applied for each "target folder" regardless of "source drive".

redwing

Regarding tag changes made outside of MB, when should I expect these to be applied?  If the file is in a monitored folder, the changes usually show up right away, but it seems like I often go in later and files need to be reorganized.

External edits of tags get detected real time if the track resides in a continuously monitored folder. But it's never re-organized until you manually run auto-organize command again. Maybe this needs to be fixed.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

External edits of tags get detected real time if the track resides in a continuously monitored folder. But it's never re-organized until you manually run auto-organize command again. Maybe this needs to be fixed.

Yes, I think that needs to be addressed.  Sort of defeats the purpose of "auto".  :)
Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:18:19 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

Does that mean the file is moved twice?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Does that mean the file is moved twice?

It's only a handful of files that this ever occurs too so I'm not sure if they get moved twice or not.
The majority of my new music gets stored on my NAS.
When I edit the tags to my satisfaction, they get sent to the library, MB then auto-organises them, moving them to my local S:/My Music drive. This drive is auto-synced to another drive on the NAS and also backed-up to an external HDD.

If I have recorded some tracks from vinyl, these come in from my W:/ drive.  After I've cleaned up the clicks and crackles they get moved into the library. Auto-organised to 'Incoming' sub-folder of S:/My Music.  If they meet one of the exception rules they are left in the Incoming folder, otherwise they end up auto-organised like any other file I move into the library from my NAS

Hope that helps a bit, psychoadept
Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:45:30 AM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That does help, thanks!  Would you mind posting a screenshot of your auto-organize settings?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Is it still true that certain file info can't be used in virtual tags?  I was able to create a virtual tag with <Sample Rate>.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Sorry for multi-posting, but I figured it was better to put this here than in the tips & tricks thread.

Drag & Drop files with MB
------------------------------
It conforms to the Windows standard behavior:

- Move to the same drive
- Copy to a different drive
- Hold Shift to force move
- Hold Ctrl to force copy

What does this apply to?  Windows Explorer?  Computer Node?  Right now, even though I have turned on "allow folders to be moved", my drag & drop actions to the computer node are resulting in files being copied.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

It's mainly about between windows explorer and MB. Within MB, it varies depending on the settings and the context. For instance, with auto-ogranization turned on, drag and drop of a library file to a computer folder will only copy it even on the same drive. But if you perform the same action from a computer node to another node, it moves.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Okay, so I'm not at all sure what to put under the Computer Node section here: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/File_Organization#Computer_Node

If "Allow Folder to Be Moved" is not ticked, it will copy files.  I thought it was moving files once that was ticked, but then I saw it copying again (when dragging files from the main panel).  Help?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)