Author Topic: New questions for the wiki  (Read 23744 times)

redwing

In that case, assuming you don't have auto-organise or "sweep and organise new files" configured, where does it copy them to?

In that case probably it would only add them to the library without copying files.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Is monitored folders intended to catch new playlists as well?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
MB should detect when a new playlist is added/ deleted or renamed to the MusicBee playlists folder itself but wont import an external playlist.
I think the reason was because there were complaints about unwanted playlists being imported. I may enhance that at a future date.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
MB should detect when a new playlist is added/ deleted or renamed to the MusicBee playlists folder itself but wont import an external playlist.
I think the reason was because there were complaints about unwanted playlists being imported. I may enhance that at a future date.

Yes, I remember there being an issue with playlists being duplicated on every scan.  It probably does need a revisit soon, because I discovered when testing that there were playlists in my music folders that I didn't even know were there.  They didn't show up even when I used scan for new files with playlists included; I found them with a search for m3us in Windows explorer.

Edit: doing further testing, an .m3u playlist added to the playlists folder isn't imported either.  But it's possible I created some unlikely conditions with my testing and that's why.
Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:03:59 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What tag format and structure does MB use for WAV files?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
MB uses two:
- LIST/ INFO chunk which is a standard that covers some of the tags
- ID3 chunk which i dont think is a standard WAV file tagging type but a number of players are using it. The ID3 tags themselves are standard

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Added that.

Next!  :)

There are a few places, for instance auto-playlists, where duplicates can be automatically filtered.  Do these settings take into account changes made to which fields are checked in the duplicate manager, or do they use the default artist/title?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

They seem to stick to the default definition.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What is the interaction between the "use custom fields for this playlist" and "display using view" settings for static playlists? 

What's the difference between setting a main panel view and leaving "display using view" set to default, vs setting a view in "display using view" and then changing it later in the main panel (which updates the playlist view, too, I noticed).
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
each grid type view (default track detail, default album and tracks, custom view of the same) has its own set of fields and sort order.
Without "use custom fields..." ticked the playlist uses the shared view. When it is ticked the the playlist maintains its own set of fields/ sort order although as i write this i cant recall if that overrides a custom view - i dont think it does ie. the custom view is always shared.
"Display using view" "locks" the playlist to that view - if you change the default playlists view using another playlist MB wont update the "locked" playlist. The reason i put it in quotes is because you can change the locked view via the main panel but it will only affect that playlist

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think I get it.  I think.  :)  Now can I explain it myself...?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What interrupts a playlist mixer cycle?  I mean, once you start a playlist mixer, what actions will cause it *not* to continue adding to playing tracks?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

What's the difference between setting a main panel view and leaving "display using view" set to default, vs setting a view in "display using view" and then changing it later in the main panel (which updates the playlist view, too, I noticed).

So basically no differences, right?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

So basically no differences, right?

There is a difference.  If "display using view" is Default, then a change made to that playlist in the main panel will affect all playlists that use Default (this is true for auto-playlists, too).  If "display using view" is anything else, then only that playlist will change when you change the view in the main panel.  (Thus my wishlist suggestion for clarification on this.)
Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:55:52 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

If "display using view" is anything else, then only that playlist will change when you change the view in the main panel.

No, all other playlists set to the same view change as well.