Author Topic: How MusicBee is with Private Tagging?  (Read 5007 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
MusicBee offers 16 custom tags (saved to the file or the database, your choice) and 16 virtual tags (tags based on other tags), all of which are available for use in the main panel, column browser, etc just like standard tags.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Stamimail

Thanks.
1. Are those custom/virtual tags can be searched by Windows Search?
2. How to make Dynamic Playlists (based on filtering the library by tags)? I want to have Presets. For example:
MyFavoritesPopPreset
Would be build from:  Genre=Pop; Rating=4 stars; Custom=ABCD

Stamimail

I think I found what I was looking for. I wonder why no-one helped me to find it. No-one mentioned Playlists > New > New Auto-Playlist.
http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Auto-Playlist#Auto-Playlists

Anyway, there still some quesitons:
1. Is there a way to save the current filtering done by Column Browser to Auto-Playlist (and edit the Auto-Playlist later for more advance options)?
2. Are those Auto-Playlists are updated automtically (monitored), when I'm adding files to computer?
3. Is there a way to create a Saved Windows Search file (.ms-search), to create it from Auto-Playlist, so that I could  get the Playlist Files also in Windows Explorer?

[Saved Windows Search file - You search something in Windows Explorer. In Results screen File > Save Seacrh. Open the saved .ms-search with Notepad to see content, how it looks like]

theta_wave

Anyway, there still some quesitons:
1. Is there a way to save the current filtering done by Column Browser to Auto-Playlist (and edit the Auto-Playlist later for more advance options)?
2. Are those Auto-Playlists are updated automtically (monitored), when I'm adding files to computer?
3. Is there a way to create a Saved Windows Search file (.ms-search), to create it from Auto-Playlist, so that I could  get the Playlist Files also in Windows Explorer?

[Saved Windows Search file - You search something in Windows Explorer. In Results screen File > Save Seacrh. Open the saved .ms-search with Notepad to see content, how it looks like]
I don't really understand what "private" tagging entails or how it is different from just regular tagging.

1) That really is the job for a regular playlist.  Select column criteria, ctrl+A (select all), right click selection, add to playlist (a number of options opens up for you from there).
2) Yes
3) I don't know.  If I wanted to find my music, I just find it through whatever music manager I'm using.  If I need to edit the files using mp3tag, I setup mp3tag as an external tool in MB to open directly from a highlighted track [(preferences > tools: mp3tag's executable under application path (C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe) and parameter is "<Path>" (quotes included)].  Then, I highlight a track, right click: send to > external tool > mp3tag.  To make things easier for myself, I mapped that external tool to a keyboard shortcut (here, ctrl+M). 

If I need to open up explorer to do any artwork editing if I feel a little OCD, just highlight the file, right click, Search > Locate in Windows Explorer (again, I mapped it to a keyboard shortcut, ctrl+E under preferences > hotkeys > General: Locate Selected Track in Windows Explorer).

Stamimail

"private tagging" refers to Custom Tags. Adding custom tags to a file.

Currently I have more 2 problems:
1. The problem of compatibility. How can I make Custom Tags be searched or used also in other (external) programs. For example, WIndows Explorer or other Players. How to make the file and Custom Tags without the dependent of MusicBee.
2. I wonder, why "Rating" (Stars) is the only tag can be so easy added/removed to a file while Playing. I want also my "Custom Tags" to be added/removed by a click.

I suggested once to make a special Panel/Tab of "Tagging while Playing", make it easy to add/remove tags (by one/two clicks), and also comparing the tags of the  NowPlaying file in local computer to what there is in online database.

Anyway, thank for the info.

I don't agree with 1, because:

1. I didn't find an option to convert a regular Playlist to Auto-Playlist (Auto-Playlist updates the list automtically). What's the problem to add both "Add to Playlist" and ""Add to Auto-Playlist" to context menu.

phred

• Global Moderator
I suggested once to make a special Panel/Tab of "Tagging while Playing", make it easy to add/remove tags (by one/two clicks), and also comparing the tags of the  NowPlaying file in local computer to what there is in online database.
You can edit tags while playing a track but the tags aren't written to the file until playing is stopped.  You can't write to a file while it's being read. That's a restriction of the OS, not MusicBee.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

theta_wave

"private tagging" refers to Custom Tags. Adding custom tags to a file.

Currently I have more 2 problems:
1. The problem of compatibility. How can I make Custom Tags be searched or used also in other (external) programs. For example, WIndows Explorer or other Players. How to make the file and Custom Tags without the dependent of MusicBee.
2. I wonder, why "Rating" (Stars) is the only tag can be so easy added/removed to a file while Playing. I want also my "Custom Tags" to be added/removed by a click.

Anyway, thank for the info.

I don't agree with 1, because:

1. I didn't find an option to convert a regular Playlist to Auto-Playlist (Auto-Playlist updates the list automtically). What's the problem to add both "Add to Playlist" and ""Add to Auto-Playlist" to context menu.

Please just say "custom tags" next time to add clarity to your issue.

1a) Compatibility issues arise because there's only a loose de facto standard when it comes to tags.  For example, the coders at microsoft endowed explorer with the ability to detect and acknowledge only few frames from the ID3 spec (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3).  It isn't MB's (or any other mediaplayer's) fault that Microsoft didn't implement more of the ID3 spec with their software.  Likewise, it isn't MB's fault that other players decide to use implement their own spec.  One thing that MB has going for it is the ability to add custom tags as used by other players.  For example, coming from mediamonkey, I used their reference info chart (http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/frame/index.html?abouttrackproperties.htm) to ensure it and Musicbee implemented the same spec (verified by MB's built-in tag inspector).  In the end, MB handled Mediamonkey's non-standard custom tags just fine--with user intervention of course.  I think it is outside the scope for MB to implement other player's tag specs that deviate from the somewhat standardized id3 spec.  Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast.

1b) Autoplaylists are not playlists per se, they can be thought of as scripts that query your library based on search criteria you selected.  If you want to check them out yourself, look in \Documents\My Music\MusicBee\Playlists\ and compare any .xautopf file (autoplaylist) to a .mbp file (playlist).  Just think of them as scripts that are run whenever you select them.  Thus, your idea of converting playlists to autoplaylists does not make sense in this scenario.  On the other hand, converting autoplaylists/selected songs to a playlist does make sense because the latter stores information.

2) If you set the custom tag as among the displayed fields (right click column title row > set displayed fields...), a simple click on that song's custom tag would allow you to edit the custom tag itself.
Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:54:30 AM by ssri

Stamimail

Thanks for the explanations.

1a)

So I understand that there are Standard Tags (High Compatibility with Explorer and other programs) and there are Non-Standard Tags.

A user that looks for High Compatibility, would probably want to make a use of existing Standard Tags (can be used in other programs) for Custom Tags.

Do you have a recommendation: Which standard tags are the best for using as Custom Tags?
How many Standard Tags we can use as Custom Tags, or How many Custom Tags we can get (without missing something important)?

theta_wave

1a) I would call them "commonly used tags" (i.e. Artists, AlbumArtist, track#, album, title, etc).  Such tags are widely supported across every player.  I use MB's custom tag feature to sync tags from other players that I find useful (i.e. Mediamonkey's custom tag fields (CUSTOM#) and Musicbrainz Picard's ID tags like MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID) as seen below:

Also, as seen below, if other players/tag programs wrote their tags into your files, you can view them using MB's tag inspector and incorporate the "tag code" as a MB custom tag.  What I'm trying to say, it really is up to you to determine which tag codes you want to incorporate into MB's custom tag fields.  For that matter, you better read up on the tag specs of the individual programs you are targeting.  Google is your friend for this endeavor.

As for tag recommendations, I don't really know because I don't know what programs are you targeting and what information you wish to incorporate as it is a pretty individual thing.  For example, I use Mediamonkey's custom tags for stuff like study tunes, workout tunes and whatnot.  I incorporated those custom tags into MB as they are displayed in tag inspector (see 1st pic above).  I create an autoplaylist to list songs containing the term "workout".  Then I sync that playlist to my player of choice.

Stamimail

Thanks for the answer, but I'm afraid it doesn't answer the question, because you are displaying how to use Customs Tags.
The user we are talking about doesn't want to use Customs Tags for Customs Tags, because he wants that what he is doing in one program could be seen in all other programs. Therefore, he will prefer to use "commonly used tags" for Custom Tags. And now comes back the question above. ?

hiccup

ssri went to a great length to try and explain the concepts of custom tags, standardization, and compatibility to you.
So contrary to your remark, I believe he did answer your question.

But it looks like you are expecting an answer that suits your expectations of how tagging works and how it would be standardized.
Such an answer can't be given to you.
It might be good for you to read his replies again, carefully. All the info you would need to start to get a grasp of the (complicated) matter of tagging is in it.
Also use the links he presented to you, and do some searching on the forum and the wiki.
All the info is already there.

Stamimail

>But it looks like you are expecting an answer that suits your expectations of how tagging works and how it would be standardized.
I can agree with that.

I think it because I want to use Tags for searching and filtering rather than to have info about a file.
My questions came from using WIndows Explorer and Everytning Search, trying to find the best way to find/filter/manipulate music files.
I did fine for example with WMP and other players. It was very simple to do Enter or Send to.
The questions of Tags began with the wish of:
1. Making Labeld-Folders/AutoPlaylists/Dynamic Playlist
2. Find 1 file by its lyric

To have info about a file is nice, but I wouldn't waste a long time to update the Tags of my all Library for this.
I less care the missing tags, I care about the fast way to find/filter/manipulate things.

theta_wave

>But it looks like you are expecting an answer that suits your expectations of how tagging works and how it would be standardized.
I can agree with that.

I think it because I want to use Tags for searching and filtering rather than to have info about a file.
My questions came from using WIndows Explorer and Everytning Search, trying to find the best way to find/filter/manipulate music files.
I did fine for example with WMP and other players. It was very simple to do Enter or Send to.
The questions of Tags began with the wish of:
1. Making Labeld-Folders/AutoPlaylists/Dynamic Playlist
2. Find 1 file by its lyric

To have info about a file is nice, but I wouldn't waste a long time to update the Tags of my all Library for this.
I less care the missing tags, I care about the fast way to find/filter/manipulate things.
Thank you hiccup.  I want to add that the OP linking his question from another forum to here initially is really bad form.  Anyways, yes hiccup, I believe everything I stated applies to OP's questions.  The thing is that, after understanding the concepts, the OP has to dive in and muck around with the filters and autoplaylists options in order to truly begin to answer some of his or her own questions.  Really, autoplaylists as applied to Musicbee (conceptually) are no different than autoplaylists applied to iTunes or Musicmonkey or any other mediaplayers.

If OP wants to use tag fields that show up in WMP but not in Musicbee, the best thing to do is use tag inspector (in Musicbee's tag editor) on a track whose tags are completely filled in WMP, look at the tag and make custom tag fields with respect to the information under "tag code", set it and let Musicbee scan the rest of the collection; this also applies to tags displayed by explorer (in explorer: right click "column" and click more to see which tags can be displayed).  Same goes for lyrics (find a file with lyrics tagged, use tag inspector, create custom tag using information from the "tag code" column, select display name, and save to music file as the custom tag).  Rinse and repeat for other "tag codes". 

I was feeling generous this morning with this reply.  Anyways, I believe that's all there needs to be said about custom tags and, with a bit of trial and error, I believe the OP can find his or her way.  As such, I will no longer reply to this thread.
Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:58:34 AM by ssri