Author Topic: Infer and Update Tags from Filename - ERRORS  (Read 4504 times)

KetchupKid

I'm still loving MB!!
Here is an apparent bug: I use the <Title> - <Artist> format for all my MP3s (2000+). I occasionally run the "Infer and Update Tags from Filename" function on groups of my collection, so as to keep the Titles, Artists and Filenames of all files the same. See included screen shots, but what MB is doing is switching the artists around between two or more files WHEN THE SONG TITLES ARE EXACTLY THE SAME.

I discovered this the hard way after accidentally noticing two of my MP3s with this name "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" had the artists crossed after I ran the aforementioned function on a couple hundred of my files at one shot. See pic. Very weird. I manually corrected this error. But then I thought I'd better check through the hundreds of others I processed, and I found over 50 total titles having had artists switched on exact title matches. Many hours later, I think I have found them all and manually corrected them.

This all seems very unexplainable to me and I figure it has to be a bug. I'm in no hurry now, since I think I fixed all the errors. I hope this can be investigated and fixed.

RELATED to this is a suggested program modification: When I have a song title with a hyphen (-) in it, as "Loco-Motion", this same MB function changed the title to "Loco" and the artist as "Motion - Little Eva". WHen I used Media Monkey, I didn't have this problem because that program requires that the separator between Title and Artist be a hypen with spaces before and after. In that way, a title with a hyphen remains intact. Can this be fixed? If you want me to, I'll list this part under suggestions in the forum, rather than here. THANKS FOR ANY HELP along these lines! :)

OOPS! I see after the preview that you are no longer allowing the posting of an image. So I can't demonstrate exactly what I am talking about with a pic. I hope you can understand without a pic.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

KetchupKid

Thanks for the info. In this case, I think the info I supplied is sufficient, so I'll not post a pic ... for now.

KetchupKid

I just don't know why this forum can't upload pics on its own. In any case, it appears Google is up to its longtime habit of blocking everyone from everything. The link provided by MB for uploading pictures was blocked by some non-removeable ad.

redwing

what MB is doing is switching the artists around between two or more files WHEN THE SONG TITLES ARE EXACTLY THE SAME.

I can't reproduce this. There must be other conditions. What are their exact title and artist name?

RELATED to this is a suggested program modification: When I have a song title with a hyphen (-) in it, as "Loco-Motion", this same MB function changed the title to "Loco" and the artist as "Motion - Little Eva". WHen I used Media Monkey, I didn't have this problem because that program requires that the separator between Title and Artist be a hypen with spaces before and after. In that way, a title with a hyphen remains intact. Can this be fixed?

I can confirm this. It seems when the separator appears in a tag value MB takes it for a separator regardless of spaces around the separator in the template.
Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:36:41 AM by redwing

KetchupKid

Here is my typed text from the exact screen shotof two of the errors in MB after the tag-from-filename function was performed on about 200 files:

TITLE                                           FILENAME                                                                   ARTIST
Where Have All the Flowers Gone     Where Have All the Flowers Gone - Kingston Trio.mp3       Lennon Sisters
Where Have All the Flowers Gone     Where Have All the Flowers Gone - Lennon Sisters.mp3     Kingston Trio

redwing

Thanks, but still can't reproduce it. Maybe it's not about tag values but something else (like when updating many files at once).

Steven

• Administrator

redwing

Just a hyphen. The same happens with this: "<Title> + <Artist>" for "abc+def + hijk"

Steven

• Administrator
the unicode hyphens question was directed at the OP. MB would only recognise ascii hyphens.
I can make a change so spaces are included - i think that makes sense

KetchupKid

Steven

• Administrator