Author Topic: Media - Inbox/unorganized to Library/organized  (Read 4393 times)

navporky

Hi,

Toying with MusicBee for more than a week and I love it. Shifting to MusicBee!!

Need help on this: What are the ideal steps to add music to library from inbox? I tried the following: fixing tags -> move to library (this did not move the media from inbox/ unorganized to organized automatically) -> move folder (organize) -> convert (this did not add to library the new converted files) -> manually moved converted to inbox -> removed original media from library -> added converted media to library.

I was thinking of trying: fixing tags -> convert in source folder -> be satisfied with conversion -> add converted to library. However, I thought it may be better to just ask.

<b>FYI, I have gone through</b> http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=9858.msg58829#msg58829. Even though a wizard may not be provided but is the wiki done?

Alumni

Hi, I'll share my current setup which works great for me;

MusicBee preferences:
- On startup check for updated/missing files
- Scan monitored folders on startup only
- Add to inbox
Auto-organization is pre-configured but not enabled.

Move new files to a temporary "watched" folder.
Fix the tags, meta data and embed artwork, etc.
In MusicBee's inbox node, select all files...
Menu command File -> Organize Files
Menu command Tools -> Analyze Volume
Right click selected files, submenu command -> Send to Library

navporky

Thanks Alumni.

My preferences are already in sync except I have "mark and send duplicates to the inbox" enabled. Care to comment?

Further, so your suggestion is to organize the media in inbox itself, okay. When would you recommend conversion - before or after "Analyze Volume" and why?

Alumni

I have "mark and send duplicates to the inbox" enabled. Care to comment?

I don't think that's needed if you're already sending new files straight to the inbox anyway.

When would you recommend conversion - before or after "Analyze Volume" and why?

Depending on the formats you're converting to it might not matter, but I'd analyze volume as a last step just in case the replay gain tags are lost in the conversion, or if the audio data is modified in some way.
Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 04:43:18 PM by Alumni

redwing

Just a few points:

- The timing for analyze volume seems in your case to depend more on whether you want to add the replaygain tags to the source files as well before conversion.
- For tracks that you already have other tracks in the same album in your library, it would be better to analyze volume after sending them to library with all files in the album selected to calculate a correct album gain value, otherwise they will have different values.
- With auto-organization enabled, sending to library will move the files to organized folders automatically if you have your files properly tagged.
- Continuously monitoring your inbox folders and library folders allows you to edit and move files externally with constant update in MB real time.
- "mark and send duplicates to the inbox" option is still useful if you want to know what files in inbox are already in your library.

navporky

Thanks Alumni. Also, could you comment on "tagging must be done before moving to library WHEREAS the metatags (say lyrics), arkwork could even be updated after moving media to library".

- The timing for analyze volume seems in your case to depend more on whether you want to add the replaygain tags to the source files as well before conversion.
- For tracks that you already have other tracks in the same album in your library, it would be better to analyze volume after sending them to library with all files in the album selected to calculate a correct album gain value, otherwise they will have different values.

@Redwing, If understand you correctly, this means that the analyse volume can be done in either inbox or library as long as its done at entire album level AND of course after conversion. Did I get that right?

- With auto-organization enabled, sending to library will move the files to organized folders automatically if you have your files properly tagged.

Does this mean that the "move to library" with auto organize is subject to proper tagging? What is the criteria for proper tagging?
- Continuously monitoring your inbox folders and library folders allows you to edit and move files externally with constant update in MB real time.

Not clear. Could you elaborate?
Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:00:59 AM by navporky

redwing

Volume analysis can be done anywhere with any files. When enabling auto-organization, you will set up a file naming template. Then your files needs to be tagged at least for those fields you're using in the template, otherwise they will be renamed and moved in an unidentifiable fashion. As for monitoring settings, do some tests yourself to find out differences.

navporky

Well, thanks gentlemen. I am sharing my settings and process adopted with MB community here:

MusicBee preferences:
- On startup check for updated/missing files
- Scan monitored folders on startup only
- Add to inbox
- Auto-organization is pre-configured but not enabled
- mark and send duplicates to the inbox

Finalized Process:
- Add new files to a "watched" folder; this will add files to inbox
- Inbox: Fix the Artist & Album tags for the album/ compilation
- Inbox: For Albums - Auto-Tag by Album (Ctrl + Shift + L)
  OR Inbox: For Compilations - Auto-Tag by Track -> Identify Tracks & update (Ctrl + L)
- Inbox (for both): Auto-Tag by Track -> Missing Artwork
- Inbox (for both): Auto-Tag by Track -> Missing Lyrics
  [If lyrics not found, in Lyrics Tab - Search Google -> copy from browser -> Paste clipboard lyrics into Music File]
- Inbox (for both, optional): Convert as per choice [replace the source file, rest default)
- Inbox (for album/ compilation):  Select the converted files;  File ->  Organize Files (Ctrl + R) (Personalize char mapping, if you must - I replaced space with underscore)
  (Move and "add converted to Library" select this option in the popup)
- Library: Select Album/Compilation set: Analyse Volume (Ctrl + Shift + V).
- DONE!! Can keep updating metadata but avoid changing basic tags like artist, album - used for organizing files.
Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:18:08 AM by navporky

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for posting this navporky.

I'd like to suggest that you repost it in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum as it can greatly help MB newcomers with establishing a workflow.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for doing that.  It looks great.  It'll be helpful to all the new users who show up as 3.x hits the street.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here