Author Topic: Album cover confusion  (Read 8083 times)

ankor

How are your music files organized?  With cover.jpg or any other generic filename, the cover will be applied to all files in the same folder, and will be over written when you save a new cover for that folder
I've seen cover.jpg and folder.jpg but never understood. I see cover.jpg in same folder as music files. So it holds 1 image? Is that the image used when no other is available?  What's the approach for saving the appropriate covers based on the separate albums?  Do they have to be stored in the same music files folder?
In Preferences | Tags(1) | artwork storage, the 3 checkboxes under downloaded album cover storage are unchecked. Artist pictures & soundtrack pictures have valid folder paths. There are images in Artist pictures but soundtrack folder is empty.
Why don't you start a new thread, with screenshots of your artwork settings, and maybe the artwork files on your drive?
is there a secret to embedding images in a post like this? Can't paste in here.

phred

• Global Moderator
is there a secret to embedding images in a post like this? Can't paste in here.
Here are two links for help with posting screenshots in the MB Forums:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=16499.0
http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Posting_Screenshots
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

ankor

@psychoadept Thanks for the instructions.

Artwork storage settings in Preferences:
http://imgur.com/2wIqfO1

Is that helpful or need something else?  And what is the purpose of cover.jpg & folder.jpg when it comes to storing album covers for all tracks?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

Artwork storage settings in Preferences:
http://imgur.com/2wIqfO1

Is that helpful or need something else?  And what is the purpose of cover.jpg & folder.jpg when it comes to storing album covers for all tracks?

Thank phred for the instructions.  :)

Right now you have no artwork storage options selected.  Is that intentional?

Any of the filenames like Cover.jpg and Folder.jpg assume that you have your audio files organized with each album in its own folder.  So if you want to continue using that option, just have MB arrange your files.  You don't have to turn on auto-organize; you can use the Organize Files command in the File menu.

Alternately, you could use a template for your artwork names.   Instead of Cover.jpg, you could change it to (for instance) <Album Artist> - <Album>.jpg.  Then you would want to change your settings under "which pictures are displayed" to prioritize that filename (which will appear in the list when you change the template).
Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:36:22 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
No problem.  Our handles are so similar that we all get confused sometimes.  :)

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

ankor

Sorry thanks phred :)
Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:50:01 AM by ankor

phred

• Global Moderator
Sorry thanks phred :)
Not to worry ankor.  I knew what you meant originally.  Just the fact that you offered thanks is enough.  With or without a name.  There are some folks who forget to do that.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

ankor

Right now you have no artwork storage options selected.  Is that intentional?

Any of the filenames like Cover.jpg and Folder.jpg assume that you have your audio files organized with each album in its own folder.  So if you want to continue using that option, just have MB arrange your files.  You don't have to turn on auto-organize; you can use the Organize Files command in the File menu.

Alternately, you could use a template for your artwork names.   Instead of Cover.jpg, you could change it to (for instance) <Album Artist> - <Album>.jpg.  Then you would want to change your settings under "which pictures are displayed" to prioritize that filename (which will appear in the list when you change the template).
I've got all audio files in one folder and that works great for my purposes.  Working with 1 folder (compared to 1 album per folder) is very handy and more important to me than the album cover images.  Right now I'm leaning away from embedding them into the audio file (but you never know).

Where "Cover.jpg" is shown right now (textbox) on Tags(1) page...does that only apply to "copy to the same folder as the music file and name as:"?

So can the audio files remain in one folder and the album cover images get directed to a different folder using a naming convention as you suggested?  Is that what soundtrack pictures location is for (folder remains empty so far)?  And would I need to check any of the 3 checkboxes for artwork storage options for this approach and if so which one?

Now I understand why the album images would sometimes seem to change "randomly".  Thanks so much for the help.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Where "Cover.jpg" is shown right now (textbox) on Tags(1) page...does that only apply to "copy to the same folder as the music file and name as:"?

Yes.  If you want to keep all your files in one folder, and you don't want to embed, that's your only option.  Click on the ... at the end of that box, it will give you the template creator pop-up.

So can the audio files remain in one folder and the album cover images get directed to a different folder using a naming convention as you suggested?  Is that what soundtrack pictures location is for (folder remains empty so far)?  And would I need to check any of the 3 checkboxes for artwork storage options for this approach and if so which one?

Yes, you need to check the third artwork storage option if you're going to go this route.  You could try sending the artwork to a subfolder using the template (ie Album Art\<Album Artist> - <Album>.jpg); I don't know if will recognize that or not. If you don't include a folder structure, it will just go in the same folder as your audio files. 

The Artist Pictures location and Soundtrack Pictures location are irrelevant for Album Art.  Those are for the rotating art in the compact player, etc.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

ankor

Thanks again. I'll give some of these options a try and see how it works out and come back with feedback.  Awesome, Awesome help!!!!

ankor

I decided to try using the same folder as the audio files and use "?<Artist>-<Album>" as the template. This way the picture files will sort to the bottom of an ascending list. And I moved that template to the top of the list for "which pictures are displayed".

"Search Internet for Picture" - is this the best option I should use to download covers?

With regard to album covers, I'd like to start from scratch (made somewhat of a mess) and clear any album covers I've got right now.  Is there a way to remove pics that may have been embedded in audio files or at least check if any are embedded?  I deleted files in AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\Internal Cache\Album Covers\5 but they just seemed to reappear in the same folder.  Is it possible to clear whatever MB holds about associated album covers and get a fresh start?

Many thanks in advance.
Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:00:16 AM by ankor

ankor

I've been taking a closer look by switching to Album and Tracks view. Album covers are showing up where I've made some downloads.  But here's the weird part...On one row, I've got no album cover, an artist named and 6 tracks listed.  None of the 6 tracks have an album identified (not uncommon for me).  However 2 of the tracks belong to the named artist (Lady Antebellum) and the other 4 tracks belong to a different artist (Lady Gaga).  How's that for a combo?  The tags look fine for all six.  The Sort is Artist/Album.  The next row down is with Lady Gaga and a track that does have the album named and it looks fine with it's own album cover.  Nothing I do will cause the 2 artists and the 6 tracks to separate unless I change the sort (ie Genre/Album Artist/Album) and then they have their respective rows.  In these 6 tracks, artist and album artist happen to be the same on each track.  Artist/Album sort should still split the 6 tracks but isn't.

redwing

I've been taking a closer look by switching to Album and Tracks view. Album covers are showing up where I've made some downloads.  But here's the weird part...On one row, I've got no album cover, an artist named and 6 tracks listed.  None of the 6 tracks have an album identified (not uncommon for me).  However 2 of the tracks belong to the named artist (Lady Antebellum) and the other 4 tracks belong to a different artist (Lady Gaga).  How's that for a combo?  The tags look fine for all six.  The Sort is Artist/Album.  The next row down is with Lady Gaga and a track that does have the album named and it looks fine with it's own album cover.  Nothing I do will cause the 2 artists and the 6 tracks to separate unless I change the sort (ie Genre/Album Artist/Album) and then they have their respective rows.  In these 6 tracks, artist and album artist happen to be the same on each track.  Artist/Album sort should still split the 6 tracks but isn't.

Check your grouping setting (Preferences> Sorting/grouping). Probably you have selected album name only. That's why no album name tracks gather and form a single album regardless of their artist values. If you include album artist too to the setting, they will split.

ankor

Check your grouping setting (Preferences> Sorting/grouping). Probably you have selected album name only. That's why no album name tracks gather and form a single album regardless of their artist values. If you include album artist too to the setting, they will split.
It's buried in the middle of the paragraph...The Sort is Artist/Album.  I also tried sort by Album Artist/Album...same problem.

redwing