Author Topic: Locking/Pinning Tabs  (Read 24374 times)

Steven

• Administrator
Am I the only one who can't stand this inconsistency with filters that keep changing? Everyone else is happy with it?
are you refering to the behavior that when you have the music node selected, clicking any of the library filters doesnt open the new filter in another tab?

redwing

Am I the only one who can't stand this inconsistency with filters that keep changing? Everyone else is happy with it?
are you refering to the behavior that when you have the music node selected, clicking any of the library filters doesnt open the new filter in another tab?

Yes, I am as I pointed it out earlier:

I noticed pinned library filter tabs are no longer locked to their original location. I don't think this is good for the following reasons:
- It's inconsistent with clicking on other nodes that opens a new tab. Also filters and (auto)playlists are basically same thing. Then why treat them differently?
- This means basically you're encouraging people use only one pinned tab for music library node (because it keeps changing). Then people have to use left navigator every time they want to select another filter.
- People have all kinds of filters, each of which would work best with its own column sets and layout that can be (partly) achieved with custom views and tab override settings. So pinning those filters and locking them to the original node would allow people to quickly access their favorite filters with its own layout without using left navigator.

sleepless

For me, I feel that if the playlist tab is pinned, it shouldn't be opening a new tab each time an individual playlist is selected. I'm glad a new tab opens if I navigate to a completely different area (like music or podcasts), but it seems to me that individual playlists should all be opened from within the playlists tab. Likewise with filters. If someone wants a unique tab for each individual playlist or filter then they can do that by creating them seperately.  I do see the inconsistancy problem though. I just happen to think that the playlist tab behavior should change. Otherwise I would have way to many tabs. It's not like you can collapse them all like is possible in the sidebar.

Is there any way it would be possible to allow local navigation within a pinned tab if the main node is pinned? So if Playlists is pinned, you can navigate to individual playlists without opening a new tab, but if you pin an individual playlist then a new tab will open if a different one is selected. Same with filters. If the music tab is pinned, navigating different filters is possible within the tab, but if a filter is pinned then selecting other filters would open a new tab. Not sure if that's possible.

redwing

OK, I can see why some would prefer not opening a new tab for filters and playlists.
Then how about adding an option to tabs bar setting like "when pinned open a new tab for filters & playlists"?

KissCool

Off-topic : about tab layout.

Could you bring back the old "lock tab" setting as a 3rd option, please ? I really miss this feature and don't like how the tabs are handled when pinned :
 - Icon only ? Tabs displaying library with differents filters = same icon
 - Icon + Text ? I have the "show icon" option unticked because I want a clean layout with text only tabs. This setting make the option useless.
 - dynamically resizing tabs ? Tabs are moving all around. I have few tabs set in stone. I know exactly where to click to open one of them.
 - old "lock tab" setting : text only tabs, no resizing (unless you have too many tabs), disable AND hide the close button (yes, I like clean layout ;))

About OP: I don't use links so I have no opinion about this, but like some users, I'd really like locked/pinned tabs with their own settings (e.g.: column browser with 3 filters for one tab, but 5 filters for another one, etc.)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Could you bring back the old "lock tab" setting as a 3rd option, please ? I really miss this feature..
+1

especially now with all the new tabs opening from pinned tabs, I'd like the option to lock a tab so I don't accidentally close it.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
i am planning to make the following changes:
- For pinned tabs, add a "Lock" option which will be the default for a new pinned tab. A new tab will always be opened when clicking on any other node (including other library filters)
- if "Lock" is disabled, you will be free to navigate to any other node in the Pinned tab ie. in this case the tab pinning just provides a way to reduce the space used in the tabs bar
- for tabs that are not pinned, the old "Lock" option will be renamed to "Disable Close" and not show the close icon in the tab
- for pinned tabs, the current behavior is to widen the tab and show the icon & text text (like when tabs are not pinned). I dont like how that causes the other tabs to move so i will probably remove that functionality ie. the pinned tab will show in highlight colours but wont widen

redwing

- For pinned tabs, add a "Lock" option which will be the default for a new pinned tab. A new tab will always be opened when clicking on any other node (including other library filters)
- if "Lock" is disabled, you will be free to navigate to any other node in the Pinned tab ie. in this case the tab pinning just provides a way to reduce the space used in the tabs bar
- for tabs that are not pinned, the old "Lock" option will be renamed to "Disable Close" and not show the close icon in the tab
- for pinned tabs, the current behavior is to widen the tab and show the icon & text text (like when tabs are not pinned). I dont like how that causes the other tabs to move so i will probably remove that functionality ie. the pinned tab will show in highlight colours but wont widen

Great idea! Probably that could accommodate most needs from various use cases.

fabulario

First, thanks for this incredible piece of software. I am very impressed with the customization options in MusicBe.

I have my music in various folders grouped by their main genre (Blues, Jazz ...) So my main use for tabs are filters that separate the music according to their paths. Each tab is assigned to a genre of music (depending on the route), and I would like to have the ability to assign different icons on each tab representing its genre.
Would it be possible?
In other programs, the main library can be divided into "collections" (each collection is a node that can be asigned to a genre), but in MusicBee there is only one library, and I don't know if there is a better way to get this division that I'm doing with tabs.

PD: Sorry for my bad english, and thanks to Google translator.

sleepless

It seems what's being suggested is an all or nothing approach, which I disagree with. Meaning either all navigation opens a new tab or it doesn't. I still think what makes the most sense is for filters to be navigatable within the tab, while other nodes aren't. So the Music tab allows music filters but not Podcasts, Inbox etc...
- A Playlist Manager tab should allow individual playlists, while Music, Podcasts etc... are opened in a new tab.
- Playlists allows organization using folders. So a tab created for a playlist folder should only allow internal navigation for any playlists inside it. So a tab made for "Dance Music" allows internal navigation to all those playlists within the "Dance Music" folder, but Podcasts or Audiobooks should require a new tab.

*I also am not a fan of all the dynamic resizing of the tabs.

Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 06:56:39 PM by sleepless

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
- for pinned tabs, the current behavior is to widen the tab and show the icon & text text (like when tabs are not pinned)

I've grown to like it like this.  I did have to move my locked tabs to the left, but I think it works very well now.
Hopefully you won't remove this functionality.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

peewee678

... A new tab will always be opened when clicking on any other node (including other library filters)
Yes! I followed this thread until a few days ago and gave up on new tab behavior because you wrote you made up your mind on the tabs (in this thread). Now I see you incorporated this in the last patch! This is exactly the kind of behavior I was missing in the tabs. I didn't use the tabs because the old behavior made them almost useless for me. Now we can "bookmark" specific folders without the risk of navigating away from them.

Please keep it this way. Thanks Steven!

peewee678

Hi Steven,

EDIT: My ramblings below were due to a bug. Steven already fixed it!

Have you thought about adding an option where the user can set a specific tab width? (fixed or minimum, not sure about that)

It seems several users don't like the dynamic resizing of the tabs. I'm one of them. I've been fiddling a bit with the tabs (since the behavior is much better now) but the resizing seems "random" and is quite unnerving/jumpy. If you have more than 5 or 6 tabs open, the text of many tabs is unreadable (only one, even a half (!) or no characters at all). The text of the selected tab disappears altogether.

That's why I think a fixed or minimum width (option) would be the best solution IMHO.
Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:11:17 PM by peewee678

boroda

may be a dropdown menu with the list of opened tabs will be useful. see tabmix plus extension for firefox.

Steven

• Administrator
this is done now as above but with the following slightly changed:
- for pinned tabs, you can select the following "Navigation Lock" options: Do Not Lock; Full Lock; and Partial Navigation (allow Playlists and Filters) which is the default
- i decided (for now) to keep the behavior that when a pinned tab is the active tab then it is widened. I dont really like that the other tabs are moved but the alternative of keeping it narrow and highlighted also doesnt work well in my view