Author Topic: Locking/Pinning Tabs  (Read 24376 times)

redwing

Then how can you do a global search when you're in a pinned tab?
Open a new tab, search there and then close the tab and return to the original tab?
yes

Then why should one have to do all those manually when it's possible to automate the process? How could that be a better user experience?
Also it's logical and consistent to move it to a new tab because you're already in a different node (search results node) when you're doing a global search.

Steven

• Administrator
my mind is made up on this point. Just to be clear it only applies to the text search. Using middle mouse button click or Ctrl-F custom query opens the search results in a new tab
Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 09:12:24 PM by Steven

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
@Bee-liever, i havent eveen considered hiccup's suggestions for saved configurations and i think it requires some thought and should be outside the scope of whats done for tab pinning. Its not something i would do for v3.0

OK. Thanks for letting me know.
I will hold off on the critique and see how the pinned tabs evolve :)
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Alumni

Was the behavior changed intentionally for playlists and filters to open in a new tab, if the current tab is pinned?

redwing

my mind is made up on this point. Just to be clear it only applies to the text search. Using middle mouse button click or Ctrl-F custom query opens the search results in a new tab

You sound like you're done with improving this feature. Then I leave the following responses just for the record.

Current implementation of searching within a pinned tab is anything but consistency and user-friendliness. Here's why.
- Whether to open in the same tab or in a new tab should depend on whether the content is confined in the same node or not. That's why clicking on another node within a pinned tab opens a new tab and moves focus to there.
- Then the same should be applied to search actions too. Middle mouse click search is working globally, so it's consistent to open the search results in a new tab. What about custom search? If that's local then in the same tab, If global then in a new tab. But currently local custom search results show in a new tab whereas local text search results (consistently) display in the same tab. Why?
- Doing a global search (both text and custom) in a pinned tab is a real pain since it's disabled. You need to open a new tab and search there, but that tab is set to local search (because you're opening a new tab from a local search set tab) so you have to first change the setting to global search. After done, close the tab and return to the original tab. Now I'm not sure it's worth it to pin tabs as I'm doing global search a lot.

Steven

• Administrator
Was the behavior changed intentionally for playlists and filters to open in a new tab, if the current tab is pinned?
Playlists yes. Filters i will fix for the next update

Steven

• Administrator
@redwing, i will at least remove the disabling of local/ global text search. I will probably default it to local though when the tab is first pinned.
If global is enabled MB would open a new tab as with middle mouse click/ custom search
Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:28:40 PM by Steven

redwing

@redwing, i will at least remove the disabling of local/ global text search. I will probably default it to local though when the tab is first pinned.
If global is enabled MB would open a new tab as with middle mouse click/ custom search

Thanks for the change! It's working much better.

Playlists yes. Filters i will fix for the next update

I noticed pinned library filter tabs are no longer locked to their original location. I don't think this is good for the following reasons:
- It's inconsistent with clicking on other nodes that opens a new tab. Also filters and (auto)playlists are basically same thing. Then why treat them differently?
- This means basically you're encouraging people use only one pinned tab for music library node (because it keeps changing). Then people have to use left navigator every time they want to select another filter.
- People have all kinds of filters, each of which would work best with its own column sets and layout that can be (partly) achieved with custom views and tab override settings. So pinning those filters and locking them to the original node would allow people to quickly access their favorite filters with its own layout without using left navigator.

As a few members have suggested, you might want to consider allowing stacking of pinned tabs that would open a drop-down menu upon clicking.

sleepless

Thanks for implementing these changes. Very much appreciated.

As a few members have suggested, you might want to consider allowing stacking of pinned tabs that would open a drop-down menu upon clicking.
That would be amazing!

sleepless

When pinning the podcasts tab (displaying icon and text), it displays the number of podcast tracks as the text. So instead of my tab reading "podcasts", it reads "953".

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
When pinning the podcasts tab (displaying icon and text), it displays the number of podcast tracks as the text. So instead of my tab reading "podcasts", it reads "953".

That's as intended.  The Inbox is the same.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

Am I the only one who can't stand this inconsistency with filters that keep changing? Everyone else is happy with it?

sleepless

As of right now, it's not really a problem for me. I kind of see it as being similar to the playlists tab, where a new tab isn't opened for each new playlist. I see your point though, and I really do like the drop-down menu idea, although that's unlikely to be implemented for some time.

That's as intended.  The Inbox is the same.

Could someone tell me the reason for this? I mean what's the point of editing the text for a tab if it doesn't display that text? A tab labelled "953" just seems wrong to me. I mean why isn't the music tab labelled "8650", or playlists called "77"?