Author Topic: Locking/Pinning Tabs  (Read 24385 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
I think Firefox's way is more suitable to MB's pinned tabs especially to make them serve as an alternative means to left sidebar.
+1
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Would it be possible to have pinned tabs also remembering the opened state of the docked edit panel?

Steven

• Administrator
for the next update i have made the following changes:
- tabs can be pinned as: Icon Only; or Icon and Text
- if Icon and Text is chosen and the tab is not active, the tab will display with the usual text but at a minimal width. Except for the Podcasts or Inbox node which show the counter as the text value
- if a tab is active, the current behavior is the same as now ie. the tab is shown at full width and with the usual text
- when a tab is first pinned, the left sidebar will be hidden but there are no restrictions afterwards eg. it can be re-opened and you can navigate to a different node which is remembered on restart

redwing

- when a tab is first pinned, the left sidebar will be hidden but there are no restrictions afterwards eg. it can be re-opened and you can navigate to a different node which is remembered on restart

Then I don't really get why one would pin a tab. What's the benefit?
Try the current lock tab feature. It does the same thing - prevents it from accidental closing and remembers last location on restart (just like all tabs in MB for the second). It's rather better as it doesn't arbitrarily hide left sidebar when first set up.
You never explain why you don't like Firefox's way of pin tab feature though I elaborated why it's more suitable to MB.

Steven

• Administrator
i am fine with the idea of opening a new tab if the user clicks on another node.
What i wasnt comfortable with was how the handling for custom and global searches would be done. However now i think i feel ok with restricting the searches so only the current pinned node is searched so i will look to implement that in the next few days

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
When this topic was first raised I mentally shouted, "You beauty!"
I thought it was the first step in moving towards hiccup's request of configuration presets.
I had a vision of pinned tabs holding those presets and being able to quickly access them from a drop down window
icon for pinned tabs

icon pressed

But sadly, the pinned tab is basically the locked tab by another name.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

redwing

i am fine with the idea of opening a new tab if the user clicks on another node.

That'd be great!

What i wasnt comfortable with was how the handling for custom and global searches would be done. However now i think i feel ok with restricting the searches so only the current pinned node is searched so i will look to implement that in the next few days

I'm not sure I understand the search issue. If the user performs global search within a pinned tab, can't you instantly move it to a new tab as well? And when the user closes the search results node tab or clears search term in the search box, return focus to the original pinned tab.
If it's not possible for some technical reason, maybe we should accept the limitation.

redwing

I had a vision of pinned tabs holding those presets and being able to quickly access them from a drop down window

I think we're moving to that direction (except the dropdown part). hiccup's proposal probably needs new implementation of custom layouts (like custom views). Then we could apply to each tab a custom layout for whole panel config and then a custom view for the main panel, if implemented that way. Then each pinned tab could retain a completely customized layout for selected node.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
I think we're moving to that direction
I hope so.

the pinned tab is basically the locked tab by another name.
I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong :)
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
@Bee-liever, i havent eveen considered hiccup's suggestions for saved configurations and i think it requires some thought and should be outside the scope of whats done for tab pinning. Its not something i would do for v3.0

I'm not sure I understand the search issue. If the user performs global search within a pinned tab, can't you instantly move it to a new tab as well? And when the user closes the search results node tab or clears search term in the search box, return focus to the original pinned tab.
If it's not possible for some technical reason, maybe we should accept the limitation.
i think that would be a bad user experience for a new tab to be opened when doing a search.
I will go with the idea of always restricting searches to the pinned tab

phred

• Global Moderator
@Steven - I know that the pinned tab option is evolving, but I'd like to understand pinned tabs vs locked tabs.  Is pinned going to replace locked? If both will exist, what are the differences?  What is the behavior of each and why use one over the other?  Thanks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

redwing

i think that would be a bad user experience for a new tab to be opened when doing a search.
I will go with the idea of always restricting searches to the pinned tab

Then how can you do a global search when you're in a pinned tab?
Open a new tab, search there and then close the tab and return to the original tab?

Steven

• Administrator
@Steven - I know that the pinned tab option is evolving, but I'd like to understand pinned tabs vs locked tabs.  Is pinned going to replace locked? If both will exist, what are the differences?  What is the behavior of each and why use one over the other?  Thanks.
a locked tab just disabled the close icon. I have removed that option/ functionality to reduce confusion

Then how can you do a global search when you're in a pinned tab?
Open a new tab, search there and then close the tab and return to the original tab?
yes

phred

• Global Moderator
a locked tab just disabled the close icon. I have removed that option/ functionality to reduce confusion
Thanks Steven.  I'll have to find something else to blame the next time I get confused.  :)

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki