Author Topic: 3.0 portable  (Read 6084 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I just installed MB portable so that I can take some new screenshots for the wiki.  MB 2.5 ran with default settings as I expected.  When I ran 3.0 for this first time from the portable folder, though, it imported all the settings from my regular installation instead of using the portable settings.  Is there some way I can keep it from doing this?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

Try deleting all contents in the v3 settings file and relaunch v3.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I deleted the whole folder and reinstalled from scratch, and it still happened.  I don't want to delete my personal settings; the portable installation shouldn't be using them anyway.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

I meant the new portable v3 settings file after it's created.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That's the thing, it didn't create one.  It uses the existing one in my AppData folder, instead of creating a new one based on the 2.5 portable settings.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

You mean in the portable AppData folder there's only 2.5 settings file? If so, that doesn't make sense.
I also noticed portable v3 one time created appdata folder under users folder even though I have no regular installation.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You mean in the portable AppData folder there's only 2.5 settings file? If so, that doesn't make sense.

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
it looks for settings in this order:
- portable appdata folder: AppData\MusicBee3Settings.ini
- windows appdata folder: c:\users\<your id>\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\MusicBee3Settings.ini
- portable appdata folder: AppData\MusicBee3Settings.bak
- windows appdata folder: c:\users\<your id>\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\MusicBee3Settings.bak
then the 2.5 files
- portable appdata folder: AppData\MusicBeeSettings.ini
- windows appdata folder: c:\users\<your id>\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\MusicBeeSettings.ini

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Maybe I can hide the app data folder from it temporarily.  But will that stick once I put it back?

Is there any way you can set it to use settings from the folder it's in first, and look outside as a last resort?  Or give the user the option, if there are multiple locations?

I realize this isn't a very common use-case, but mb has never had trouble handling multiple installations separately before.

Relative to your list, this would change:

- appdata subfolder of where the musicbee3.exe is located: AppData\MusicBee3Settings.ini
- appdata subfolder of where the musicbee3.exe is located: AppData\MusicBee3Settings.bak
- appdata subfolder of where the musicbee3.exe is located: AppData\MusicBeeSettings.ini
- windows appdata folder: c:\users\<your id>\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\MusicBee3Settings.ini
- windows appdata folder: c:\users\<your id>\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\MusicBee3Settings.bak
- windows appdata folder: c:\users\<your id>\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\MusicBeeSettings.ini
Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:36:02 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

For a portable installation, I think it should only look for
- appdata subfolder of where the musicbee3.exe is located: AppData\MusicBee3Settings.ini
- appdata subfolder of where the musicbee3.exe is located: AppData\MusicBee3Settings.bak
- appdata subfolder of where the musicbee3.exe is located: AppData\MusicBeeSettings.ini

and if none, it should create a default settings file: AppData\MusicBee3Settings.ini

boroda

i think there is no stored setting if mb is portable or not. simply speaking if mb finds AppData folder in mb folder then mb is considered to be portable. more detailed description is given by Steven.

Steven

• Administrator
Maybe I can hide the app data folder from it temporarily.  But will that stick once I put it back?

Is there any way you can set it to use settings from the folder it's in first, and look outside as a last resort?  Or give the user the option, if there are multiple locations?

I realize this isn't a very common use-case, but mb has never had trouble handling multiple installations separately before.
just so i am clear, which of those would MB be loading?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure I understand the question.  But what I think redwing and boroda74 are saying, which I agree with, is that if the MusicBee3.exe finds an AppData folder in the folder it is run from, then it should use those settings files exclusively, ignoring the User/AppData folder.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
I'm not sure I understand the question.  But what I think redwing and boroda74 are saying, which I agree with, is that if the MusicBee3.exe finds an AppData folder in the folder it is run from, then it should use those settings files exclusively, ignoring the User/AppData folder.
i am asking that you check each of those folders in the order listed and see if it has the file. I am expecting you have something in the windows appdata folder which can be deleted or renamed without affecting other portable instances.
I may make the suggested change but not promising

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I am expecting you have something in the windows appdata folder which can be deleted or renamed without affecting other portable instances.
I may make the suggested change but not promising

Yes, I have the files for my regular, not portable installation in my User\AppData folder.  I can move those temporarily while the portable version gets running.  Once I have done that, will replacing those files cause the portable version to revert to those settings instead of its own again?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)