Author Topic: Support group by setting for Album Covers view  (Read 13143 times)

redwing

Currently Album Covers view has no group by setting. If it is possible to be grouped by (album) artist or composer, it could offer some new views like presenting album covers grouped by artist without artist image. Alternatively, Album Covers view could display group-by header like Album & Tracks view or Tracks view.

Steven

• Administrator
i like this idea however its not straight forward because the pictures arent at a fixed row spacing. I doubt i will do this for 3.0 but definitely will reconsider at a later date

redwing

i like this idea however its not straight forward because the pictures arent at a fixed row spacing. I doubt i will do this for 3.0 but definitely will reconsider at a later date

That's be great!

redwing

FYI, it has been requested before - here is the previous thread: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=10609

That's a good find! Although it's a complete different request from complete different context the mockup is certainly proposing almost the same idea.

Looking at endeavour1934's proposal, it must be before the expanded panel but it looks beautiful. Hopefully this will give Steven more design choices. And of course I'd welcome more grouping fields like year.

Alumni

Looking at endeavour1934's proposal, it must be before the expanded panel but it looks beautiful. Hopefully this will give Steven more design choices. And of course I'd welcome more grouping fields like year.

I'm also very much in favor of this idea. It was my favorite feature from the Zune player for Windows, and it would open up even more layout possibilities in MusicBee. I especially like how in endeavor's mockup the A-Z jump bar is displayed as digits when grouped by year, very helpful if your library is sorted chronologically.
Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:55:38 PM by Alumni

Steven

• Administrator
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_0/MusicBee3_Patched.zip

This is done now.
- its only supported for the album covers view
- you can group by any of the artist tags; year or any custom tags
- you can group by the first letter only
- when grouping by artist the layout slightly differs from the other tags and includes a play button
- still to be done, i will customise the A-Z bar for sorting or grouping by year
- i've barely tested it but should be ok to use

redwing

Thanks a lot for this great addition! Nicely done and much earlier than I expected.

Suggestions:
- How about giving some leading spaces to the grouping header? It feels too lefty.
- Consider supporting "Collapse Album Covers" option like Collapse Albums option in track details view. That would be useful when you want to quickly browse grouping items or quickly navigate to a specific item.

Two bugs:
- If you adjust picture size, refreshing is needed to show the items correctly.
- When filtering with thumbnail browser or column browser, clicking on All items at the top gives this error:

10.0.10586.0 - 3.0.5906.39927 - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.#=qT42rTq_Onvqj8rbAuWOXCNmhloZJDS6mnczG83EfDeo=.#=qlzvYxO3iaKX2dwGwppJG2t_s3p7h$cXHuhCZTBBErsA=.#=qsWxk9sonMEC7NHU43xh2QQ==(Int32 #=q2alPbxRBn7BolR5TP5YZuQ==, Boolean #=quOEUjHRpJI6lFe7AmjwtLQ==, #=qNwWjSXIDqAikG$PhreURsA== #=qiXc1yPndt6brdKvbHkgm_g==, Boolean #=qehEqU93JjGgxMsdS08jYgB5bCz_pYfWv_pr3PSwxmpo=)
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.#=qT42rTq_Onvqj8rbAuWOXCNmhloZJDS6mnczG83EfDeo=.#=qlzvYxO3iaKX2dwGwppJG2t_s3p7h$cXHuhCZTBBErsA=.#=qNWgQuT3iuSE2rUWOdRKEKg==(#=q6eX8Ubd9QushJoo16p7ZIsEGrgNFHfednqpvg25hnJo= #=qb3$PnyUCsGjMq1I1dBtjvQ==, Boolean #=q7QpaiXiJyrSzMl87Makr4Q==, Boolean #=qamPKkNkpYR3yfb_TjKGmpECGw0XUzxzT5V2yQHXh2No=, Boolean #=q_1Xi9Uy_AD8o1h60JzhJSA==)
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.#=qT42rTq_Onvqj8rbAuWOXCNmhloZJDS6mnczG83EfDeo=.#=qlzvYxO3iaKX2dwGwppJG2t_s3p7h$cXHuhCZTBBErsA=.#=qfgzsbV4qNyVS8uEl36UoBg==(#=qSomfJvF7KnijbAalW_Xq6JPTQGVCPec_h1nRrZYDsvA= #=qThur106GyvfO9D$A7MIInA==)
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.#=qT42rTq_Onvqj8rbAuWOXCNmhloZJDS6mnczG83EfDeo=.#=qzdQX1Ep2fECntnhRTs01ZA==(#=qSomfJvF7KnijbAalW_Xq6JPTQGVCPec_h1nRrZYDsvA= #=qkdmjbI33i1pBdAkV6ujcdA==)
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.#=qShmjDpuhxfRh6bFFwVqkQ6aDUODPqVJPiA04ySM_Eco=._Lambda$__0()

phred

• Global Moderator
Really like this new grouping option. 
With Album Covers View grouped by any available option except Album, clicking on the A-Z jump bar throws this:
MusicBee v3.0.5906.39927 (Win6.1), 3 Mar 2016 20:15:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.#=qT42rTq_Onvqj8rbAuWOXCNmhloZJDS6mnczG83EfDeo=.#=qlzvYxO3iaKX2dwGwppJG2t_s3p7h$cXHuhCZTBBErsA=.#=qyv17O_xln3MVMsWiMXUMrw==(String #=qxVEg23SXg4sRu_lubdpDmg==, Boolean #=q4WbxNh8B$JGd6tYfzSNDLdoocSGlV9zTcW4O$4vuCZU=)
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.#=qT42rTq_Onvqj8rbAuWOXCNmhloZJDS6mnczG83EfDeo=.#=q71Rq8gkz$a$dM9mKLq0dGg==(String #=qYi1BYK2FGBWprAvhnULWaA==, Boolean #=qztEB3ZmbQ6jpUgMyjIsAR7AuvePU8QsSOjLoKr$mOFQ=)
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.#=qnIhapIwOqIV8HwO4sZ6QBw==(String #=qyZS4Db$V9zvYeyacCDV23Q==)
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.#=q5UM7JMj3OZ4Q_kB_rsEkbw==.#=qR5tjdVGsmfUnrI8l$q$bRw==(MouseEventArgs #=qKGipUMuCreGeoQ0qIT99FQ==)
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.OnMouseClick(MouseEventArgs #=q3erydH7r1bXDdSQ0fLgfXg==)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at #=q9kidJTGSY8SvvftDXHKnxNckLsv7pvPRRv2HaeybrWY=.WndProc(Message& #=qUz41NjDxRgFQFGpLc_6_7A==)
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.WndProc(Message& #=q7t16TY6mtMEwikwK215RhA==)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Alumni

This is done now.

Wow thanks very much, a nice surprise. I look forward to playing around with it.
By the way, grouping albums in the main panel also applies to the Music Explorer, which is probably not intended.
PS: I get the same error as phred when using the A-Z bar.

KissCool

Nice addition. Thanks.

Could you do a simple 0-9, A, B, C....Z grouping header for the artists view, please ? Faster browsing and better look.

phred

• Global Moderator
Nice addition. Thanks.

Could you do a simple 0-9, A, B, C....Z grouping header for the artists view, please ? Faster browsing and better look.
That's already part of the new grouping - 'use first letter only'  except it has '#' instead of 0-9.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki