Author Topic: Lose ratings from DB when file rescanning (3.0.5887)  (Read 1954 times)

Nebu

Prior to using MusicBee, I was using iTunes, and I had a large portion of my tracks rated in the iTunes DB. These ratings are not stored in the file.

When I switched to MusicBee, it successfully imported the ratings from iTunes, and I suspect that the ratings were copied into MusicBee's DB, and not written into the file.

When I use MusicBrainz to fix some tagging on my albums, and then rescan the files in MusicBee, all my ratings are lost and replaced with "[bomb icon] No Stars". I suspect what happens is that MusicBee attempts to read the rating from the file, finds no star rating, and overwrites the value that was previously in the MusicBee DB accordingly.

When I inspect the mp3 files with, for example, FooBar2000, I note that the affected files do not contain a RATING tag at all.

I think when syncing the tag data from the file and the DB, MusicBee should note when there is no RATING tag in the file, and fall back to the value used in the DB, rather than overwriting the value in the DB with "No rating".

I think that would be less surprising behavior to the user, and feel less like "data loss".

redwing

I can confirm the issue: importing from iTunes does not respect the default ratings setting to be stored in files. If one imports files from iTunes and starts rating songs with MB, the library will soon be jumbled with ratings in db and in files.
The same thing can happen for MB users when the user tick the ratings setting to be stored in files as it won't take any action on existing songs with ratings in db, which the user might not know. I think when the user tick the setting, a pop-up dialog should ask whether to apply it to already rated songs as well.

Steven

• Administrator
when importing from iTunes or WMP, MB does not write to the files being imported. I dont plan to change that.
There is a command Tools/ Advanced/ Sychronise Tags that writes the db values back to the file.
Also you can just re-import the iTunes file again with just rating and playcounts.

edit:
i am curious why the bomb rating would appear if there really was no rating tag, so could you edit one of the files and open the Tag Inspector to see if there are any rating tags in the file
Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:08:12 AM by Steven