Author Topic: Possible to input a carriage return under track info panel?  (Read 3209 times)

theta_wave

I'm running up against the seven fields limit when configuring my track info panel.  The option to split multi-value tags into rows isn't applicable here, as the values are not split by a delimiter making it a multi-value tag.  Is it possible to have MB recognize a carriage return under "fields"?  For example: <Composer><Carriage Return><Conductor><Carriage Return><Orchestra>

If anyone is curious about my current setup, here it is:

Field1: <Title>
Field2: <Album> (<Year>)
Field3: $If(<Artist>=<Composer>,,$If(<Artist>="+/-","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,$If(<Artist>="20/20","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,$If(<Artist>="AC/DC","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,$If(<Artist>="Ambidextrous/Morkva","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,$If(<Artist>="Broker/Dealer","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,$If(<Artist>="De/Vision","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,$If(<Artist>="etti/etta","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,$If(<Artist>="MorelenbaumĀ² / Sakamoto","Artist(s):  "<Artist>,"Artist(s):  "$Replace($Replace($Replace(<Artist>,;,", "),/,", "),"  "," "))))))))))
Field4: $IsNull(<Composer>,,"Composer(s):  "$Replace($Replace(<Composer>,;,","),/,", "))
Field5: $IsNull(<Publisher>,,$If($Or(<Publisher>="[Bandcamp]",<Publisher>="[Self-Released]"),,$IsNull(<Catalog#>,"Publisher:  "<Publisher>,"Publisher:  "<Publisher>" ("<Catalog#>")")))
Field6:
Field7: <Comment>
Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:16:46 PM by ssri

redwing

theta_wave

You could input a space in prompt box for a blank row.
For one thing, I'm against the limit of seven fields available; I don't see a option to increase the number of rows available.  In essence, all of the available number of prompts have been used.  Just in case if you are suggesting that a "space" would be sufficient to trigger a <CR> with other info in the field prompt, well no.  The following is contained all in one row (notice the space between each $IsNull function):

$IsNull(<Composer>,,"Composer(s):  "$Replace($Replace(<Composer>,;,","),/,", ")) $IsNull(<Conductor>,,"Conductor: "<Conductor>) $IsNull(<Involved People>,,"Orchestra/Ensemble:  "$Replace($Replace(<Involved People>,;,","),/,", "))
Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:05:25 PM by ssri

redwing

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, but if you put a space in prompt box and field box empty you will get a blank row for that row.

theta_wave

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, but if you put a space in prompt box and field box empty you will get a blank row for that row.
I know that and as I stated twice already--I already did what you suggested in prompt/field 6 (see first post)--there is a limit of 7 prompts/field boxes that are available to use.  I used them all up.  My initial question was whether there was a way to trigger MB to output a carriage return within the field box (see my initial post).

Here is my setup again but as a screenshots.  Hopefully these will make things clearer:

typo for <Publisher>

Ultimately, I would like to be able to do the following in the fifth Prompt/Field (<CR> = carriage return):
<Composer><CR><Conductor><CR><Orchestra>
Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:51:10 PM by ssri

redwing

OK, now got what you meant. If that's possible, why draw seven rows in the first place? You could post it on the wishlist forum.

Personally I'm using genre-based virtual tags that would display different fields for different genre since there are a lot of overlapping info when it comes to classical music. In most cases, album name contains composer and main artists except for compilations as in your screenshot you already have conductor & orch info. So I don't display album name, but I guess you have different preferences.

theta_wave

OK, now got what you meant. If that's possible, why draw seven rows in the first place? You could post it on the wishlist forum.
Why not?  First, I think presenting seven rows is a sane default for new users who can simply add their prompts and field tags without much fuss.  Second, it can help keep functions relatively clean; I know I don't want my functions to turn into spaghetti code decreasing its readability.  Third, I couldn't find documentation or any post about this particular question, so I had to use the available entries accordingly and wanted to ask other users if such a function exists before submitting a wish request.

Personally I'm using genre-based virtual tags that would display different fields for different genre since there are a lot of overlapping info when it comes to classical music. In most cases, album name contains composer and main artists except for compilations as in your screenshot you already have conductor & orch info. So I don't display album name, but I guess you have different preferences.
I use genre-based autoplaylists and use virtual tags and custom views liberally to present the info the way I like.  And yes, my album titles for classical music contain Conductor and orchestra info, but my involved people tags also contain ensemble players, <arranger> is self-explanatory, etc.  Obviously, I don't really consider them to be absolutely necessary when compared to information from other fields, but it will be nice to have the option to display them if I so desire.  Anyways, it is different strokes for different folks.

theta_wave

Solved by Bee-liever (thanks!): http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17632.0

Steps:
1) Insert ";" (or whatever delimiter character is set) between fields or functions that one wants to continue on the next line
2) Substitute any ";" already in tags that tells MB to store it in a multi-tag field (I replaced my ";" with ",").
3) Check "split multi-value tags into rows" in the track information configuration window.
4) Profit!

redwing

@ssri:
Why don't you add this tip to the hidden features thread? People would find it useful.