Author Topic: streamlined convert+copy to mp3 ?  (Read 4507 times)

kapblat

as another right-click option ?

right click on a bunch of selected files

--> send to device/usb disk
-----> if file is mp3 just copy
else ---> convert to mp3

Steven

• Administrator
you can get that behaviour with on-the-fly conversion - on the device settings window you can tick 'convert files to' and select MP3
and then tick 'only convert formats not supported on the device' which is ticked by default anyway.
however for devices that are just straight USB discs, i know this doesnt work as you would want as it currently assumes all formats are supported by the USB disc - so nothing actually gets converted to MP3.
if you un-tick 'only convert formats not supported on the device' it will convert everything to MP3, but also will re-convert MP3 files again which is not what I expect you would want (unless you want to compress the file to be smaller)

I was intending to fix the behaviour for usb discs anyway, but i'll do that sooner now you have raised it. It should work fine for iPods and MTP devices as is though.
Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:03:50 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
this fixes on-the-fly conversion for usb discs - the behaviour for ipods and MTP devices should already be working OK
http://www.mediafire.com/?2z2kittnrnz

I've also now provided a button for configuring device settings in the Preferences window:
in the device settings tick 'convert files to' MP3
and tick 'only convert files that are not MP3' (unless you want to compress the MP3 files to a smaller size)

One thing to note and please comment if you dont agree, but i've set it so it only does on-the-fly conversion when using the 'Send to' -> 'Copy to Device' command or when you drag and drop the file to the library icon on the device.
If you use 'Send to' -> 'Folder (Copy)' or drag and drop directly to a storage folder on the device it copies the file as-is without conversion. This is so people have a way to copy the original file without modification to it.
Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:02:38 PM by Steven

kapblat

Sweeeet  :D
thank you very much

(one note- when its converting it says "Copying..." not "Converting"  so the first time i used it i thought its copying the flac :P so i went and checked the folder, but a mp3 was there :))

as for the regular Folder copy, move it sounds logical to me

oh, maybe the "Copy to DEVICE (D:)" can be renamed something like "Send to Device DEVICENAME (D:)" otherwise it might imply it only does copy
Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:15:18 PM by kapblat

BigHam1

Hi Steven, I'm trying to do exactly what you addressed in this old thread, copy FLAC files to a USB drive with on-the-fly conversion to MP3 format. However, I am unable to use the Preferences / Devices to set up the drive as a device, and "device" remains greyed-out in the "Send-to" dialogue. Any ideas on this one?

boroda

Right-click on the usb drive in the computer section and select 'set as virtual device'.

BigHam1

Many thanks Boroda, works perfectly! (I had to first select "show all folders" and then found "set as virtual device" under "manage folders" once the drive showed up. I'm up and running, thanks again!)