Author Topic: Scan for new files : why rescanning all the files ?  (Read 10924 times)

Orion

I have just bought a NAS (QNAP TS-231) and wish to use MusicBee to access to the very numerous files I stored on it. I created a new collection encompassing all the musical files on the NAS. For now, it's about 30.000 files, but I haven't transfered all my files yet : it will be much more in the end.

I've come across two problems :
- I have asked MusicBee to automatically scan the NAS for new files each time I start MusicBee. But it doesn't.
- When I ask manually MusicBee to scan for new files, it actualy scan ALL the files, including those it has already scanned and memorized. As a result, the process is very long (and it sometimes block for a long time when arriving at the one or two last files to scan...).

What is surprising is that I read on the Wikia that there was a feature asking MusicBee to scan only new files, but I can't find it anymore... how to account for that ?
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/musicbee/images/a/af/Rescan-Add.png

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

phred

• Global Moderator
What is surprising is that I read on the Wikia that there was a feature asking MusicBee to scan only new files, but I can't find it anymore... how to account for that ?
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/musicbee/images/a/af/Rescan-Add.png
That "feature" was removed quite some time ago.  To accomplish what you're trying to do, either press INSERT or File > Scan Folders for New Files and from the resulting window, select the folder(s) to be scanned.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Orion

May I ask why it was deleted ?

The fact that we are now forced to select folders actually means there is no more automatic syncronization...

Is there a chance such a feature could be reintroduced ?

May I ask you if it is normal that editing two or three album tags from files located on a NAS is very long (some times one or two minuts whereas it is quickly done with other softwares ?) ?

redwing

The feature wasn't removed, only the option in that dialog. It's now controlled by settings with enhancement of file monitoring: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=13648.msg89322#msg89322

I don't now why it doesn't work for you. Try different settings to find out possible causes.

Orion

May I ask you some help with this ?

I checked in the Preferences and everything seems normal : scan is configured to be executed at start, not continuously and I can't find any other option about new files scanning. Yet, the software still rescan every file each time I ask him to look for new files. Thousands of files being stored on a wireless ness, I let you guess it takes hours each time I ask for a scan...

I also checked with MusicBee 3.0 (but installed in the same folder as MusicBee 2.5). Same result...

redwing

Try with files on the same drive with MB. If it works fine, then it could be a connection issue with your NAS.

Orion

I tried to scan a library on my computer. Of course, MB scans all the files to detect new ones, but it's much faster : a few seconds, while it takes a LONG time for the files located on the NAS.

What is strange is that it's far from being that long with a software like jRiver. What is more, my WIFI is not that bad and the NAS CPU is far from being fully used when MusicBee scans the files...
Do you think the difference comes from the fact that MusicBee connect to the NAS as a wireless hard disk drive whereas jRiver can connect to the NAS as a network server ?
Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 04:34:16 PM by Orion

redwing

You said MB didn't find new files at startup despite the setting. Does it do that for files on the same drive?

Orion

I'm currently in the middle of a big scan on the NAS : I will check as soon as it's over. Thank you !

redwing

If it's not working properly, it would be helpful if you post the screenshot of your library settings.

Orion

I guess you are thinking about the "Collection" part of the Preferences window ? Or about the window that open with the "Instert" shortcut ?

Here is the first one (in French : can't change the language while MB is scanning the NAS) :

And the second one :

redwing

They look fine. Just tick the third option of library setting "on startup check for updated or missing files", which will update files you edited or moved externally.
When you test files on the same drive as MB, monitored folder setting should only include that folder. Then it should find new files in monitored folders on startup.

Orion

OK. Scan should be over within an hour. I will try what you adviced me to.

If I consider scan will be over in one hour, it means that it took MB nearly 3 hours to scan 40.000 files on the NAS, amoung which 15.000 were new and, so, 25.000 had already been scanned. Does it look incredible or rather normal to you (knowing that my TS-231 NAS is brand new, connected by cable to my box and that my laptop is very close to the box) ?

Once the scan is over, I will try to scan with only one album more to see how long it take to add it the the collection.

Thanks again for helping me !

redwing

Before buying your NAS, you must have already added those tracks to MB. How long did it take for the first import?

Steven

• Administrator
its also worth trying using MB version 3 as i have made some optimisations with regards to file rescanning